Sidechain compression in Cubase

Speakafreaka

Champagne Rouletter
I seem to be having some problems getting sidechain compression to work in Cubase SL 1 - Does anyone know how this works? Its getting right on my nerves as I'm trying to control bass/kick integration and I think this sounds like the best way of doing it by a mile.

Any suggestions for any plugins that will let me sidechain in Cubase? I hear there are issues with the VST2.0 standard plugin and it could be problematic (i cannot afford waves dammit!)

Or does anyone have any other suggestions of how to get kick and bass sitting together sweeter. I'm thinking I may be able to do it with DFx midi gater but it would be an arse to set up?

apologies for the illogical rambling, I'm ill and thinking this through as I type it

Cheers

dunno about SL, but i know how with SX....

first set up a group channel and insert the waves C comp SC.
set the key to L-R, which means the left channel compresses the right.

next go to the kick channel, the send section and switch the send display to Routing, its that column thingy on top of the sends. now send the kick full level to the group but pan it to the left. now go to your bass and 1)pan the bass channel to the right, 2)route the bass channel diectly to the group(dont use send). now go to the group channel and right click the pan display and choose Stereo Dual Panner and set both channels to centre. now adjust your compressor on the group to start hearing the effects.

its long but worth it....
:Smile3:

Speakafreaka

Champagne Rouletter
Bloody hell.

This is well confusing innit?

Cheers for the help guys, it is making my brain hurt. I'm not sure it is the same in SL at all. I think I may just have hit the limits dammit! I'll have to have a nice chat to the bank man about SX3.

Speakafreaka

Champagne Rouletter
actually, that routing does work so cheers cameron - I'm not getting a usable sound but it is working. What a farce. How hard can it be to sort this out.

If Logic was still on PC I'd actually be tempted to switch. Is there a sequencer on the PC that does this any better?

Speakafreaka

Champagne Rouletter
Cheers Colin I'm trying out that DB Audioware one now - it is doing the job just fine. Good ol' Direct X eh? Never knew that it had anything over VST but clearly it does :Smile3: I've got a really nice bass and kick combo going on now, cheers

Purusha said:
Steinberg have been promising side-chaining for a while in the SX engine. Ain't happened yet - bah!

i dont seem to have a problem sc in SX....once youve done it how i described just save a template..its quick and easy.

Speakafreaka

Champagne Rouletter
I just discovered that there is a stereo sidechain compressor for reaktor written by programchild this plug also features modelled tube distortion - can't wait for the download to finish. Damn, I love reaktor!