So - anyone give a f*ck about the Tory leadership contest?

Continuum

Throb Farmer
Reaction score
I think its just hilarious to watch the Tory party rip itself apart, year after year. Its like watching a slow-motion train wreck, but funnier.
I'm just glad that Fat Ken got the elbow because it means we'll see less of the smug, porky, condescending, banquet-scoffing, face-like-a-slapped-arse bastard on the telly.

Monkey Do

#1 Internet Toughguy
Reaction score
I'm touching myself as I write this post.
Continuum said:
I think its just hilarious to watch the Tory party rip itself apart, year after year. Its like watching a slow-motion train wreck, but funnier.
I'm just glad that Fat Ken got the elbow because it means we'll see less of the smug, porky, condescending, banquet-scoffing, face-like-a-slapped-arse bastard on the telly.
Thought you didn't watch the news?

I don't know who any of the potential leaders are, only hope is they can make the torys some sort of credible opposition party to give Blair a bit of a scare and stop him being such a smug grinning twatfaced motherfucker who feels he can do what the fuck he wants.

D

dave arc-i

Continuum said:
tory party

train wreck

fat ken clarke

face-like-a-slapped-arse

lettis

slicker than a cabbage
Reaction score
am hoping that this one is the last before they fragment and then are forgotten! leaving a space for the liberals to exploit. after getting a decent leader that can then provide decent opposition to Blair!

Squagnut

There's a gnu in my squat
Reaction score
I must admit I'm with MD on this one. There is a huge chunk of the population that just won't ever be represented by the LibDems, yes I mean the Tory diehards. I'm not fond of them but they're out there, and this is a democracy. Having a better balance of power would do the country a lot of good. So yes, I give a shit - I can't stand Blair but it'll be a few elections before the Libs are able to offer a serious alternative.

I'm glad Ken Clarke is out of it, as he would have divided the Tories over Europe - again (never mind his associations with BAT). What is really crap is that Portillo got shoved aside ages ago. It's a bunch of nobodies going for the top slot. Fox or Davis or Cameron? Heck, at least Letwin isn't there.

lettis

slicker than a cabbage
Reaction score
Squagnut said:
I must admit I'm with MD on this one. There is a huge chunk of the population that just won't ever be represented by the LibDems, yes I mean the Tory diehards. I'm not fond of them but they're out there, and this is a democracy. Having a better balance of power would do the country a lot of good. So yes, I give a shit - I can't stand Blair but it'll be a few elections before the Libs are able to offer a serious alternative.

I'm glad Ken Clarke is out of it, as he would have divided the Tories over Europe - again (never mind his associations with BAT). What is really crap is that Portillo got shoved aside ages ago. It's a bunch of nobodies going for the top slot. Fox or Davis or Cameron? Heck, at least Letwin isn't there.

it may be true that the lib dems will never represent a large proportion of the the population and the tory die hards will always out number the lib dem supporters. but how long will this continue if the tories have gone! the inherent problem with our style oif democracy is that large portions of society allways go unrepresnted. this imho wont be rectified by having a decent tory leader. i feel this will just antagonise the situaton. the only true way to have a proper democracy in our highly fragmented society is if power is decentralised and more power is given back to local communities.

i dont feel the tories will provide this. as ive already said i feel that hopefully this leader ship campaign will lead to the downfall of the tory party and hopefully this will resonate through all the parties and society which will evetually lead to a massive shake up in our political sysetm? so to get back on topic yeah i am quite interested int the tory leadership contest.

P.s letwin was my local MP when i lived in somerset and i thought that he had slyly changed his name in attempt to subliminaly win votes by having a name that sounded like he was begging.:ismile: :irolleyes

Monkey Do

#1 Internet Toughguy
Reaction score
lettis said:
i dont feel the tories will provide this. as ive already said i feel that hopefully this leader ship campaign will lead to the downfall of the tory party and hopefully this will resonate through all the parties and society which will evetually lead to a massive shake up in our political sysetm?
Or we'll be stuck with an unchallenged Labour government until their spending gets so far out of control that we are all taxed to the arseoles and still can't find a fucking dentist.

That'll force change alright.

lettis

slicker than a cabbage
Reaction score
Monkey Do said:
Or we'll be stuck with an unchallenged Labour government until their spending gets so far out of control that we are all taxed to the arseoles and still can't find a fucking dentist.

That'll force change alright.
i know things aint gonna change over night. things are shit and public services are shagged. but do you really think the tories are gonna change this when/if they get into power? it will more likely tht they will eventually privatise the health services whilst blaming it on tony blair. whilst at the same time trying to enforce 'family values' or any other hegemonic rhetoric. personally i would like to see (in my lifetime) the decentralising of party politics. this may be nieve but at least its some hope.

Monkey Do

#1 Internet Toughguy
Reaction score
lettis said:
i know things aint gonna change over night. things are shit and public services are shagged. but do you really think the tories are gonna change this when/if they get into power? it will more likely tht they will eventually privatise the health services whilst blaming it on tony blair.
I don't expect them to change this at all, but just stepping aside and letting Labour fuck everything (and everyone) over unopposed is arse.

And why change the political system when you are in power unopposed anyway?

lettis

slicker than a cabbage
Reaction score
Monkey Do said:
And why change the political system when you are in power unopposed anyway?

Because if everyone just stops voting and becomes completley disillusioned with the political parties then it will slowly lose the legitimacy and power it has developed over the centuries. then something will have to change. or we just enter into a civil war which imho will never happen!

Continuum

Throb Farmer
Reaction score
lettis said:
if everyone just stops voting
Then the party in power will remain there, unchallenged forever! When will you idiots realise that not voting is NOT A VALID PROTEST.
If I do something you don't like, you can either intervene, and stop me, or you can just turn your back and try to ignore me, in which case I will continue.

lettis

slicker than a cabbage
Reaction score
Continuum said:
Then the party in power will remain there, unchallenged forever! When will you idiots realise that not voting is NOT A VALID PROTEST.
If I do something you don't like, you can either intervene, and stop me, or you can just turn your back and try to ignore me, in which case I will continue.

easy keep ya exceptionally spikey hair on. i voted at the last election and intend to vote at the next. but if the worst happens and we continue with just having one viable party that keeps passing archaic and destructive policies then there will possibly be mass civil unrest. people will ignore or go against the policies they create. which will slowly undermine there power and legitimacy. this will be especially be so if the economy takes a downfall. surley this will mean that the system will have to adapt if they are gonna keep hold of a shred of power they so love!:ismile:

D

dave arc-i

Continuum said:
Then the party in power will remain there, unchallenged forever! When will you idiots realise that not voting is NOT A VALID PROTEST
i dont wholly agree with that point - a deliberate campaign of "can vote - wont vote" and by that i mean everybody who can registers to vote increasing the % of the electorate and then spoils their ballot papers with a predetermined slogan i.e. "f*ck you and your system"- and then assuming the campaign is a success the government in power is faced with a constitutional crisis on two fronts - firstly the public have made it known that they (the govt) are NOT there by their (the public) consent and secondary the governmet has NO legal right to stay in power beyond the maximum term of office as laid down in law

sqoo

˙˙˙ƃuoɹʍ ǝuoƃ ǝlʞɔıʇ ɹɯ
Reaction score
dave arc-i said:
i dont wholly agree with that point - a deliberate campaign of "can vote - wont vote" and by that i mean everybody who can registers to vote increasing the % of the electorate and then spoils their ballot papers with a predetermined slogan i.e. "f*ck you and your system"- and then assuming the campaign is a success the government in power is faced with a constitutional crisis on two fronts - firstly the public have made it known that they (the govt) are NOT there by their (the public) consent and secondary the governmet has NO legal right to stay in power beyond the maximum term of office as laid down in law
I wish this could happen, but they just get counted as 'spoiled ballot papers' which doesnt sound like a protest even though practically all spoiled papers are protest votes.

We first need a campaign to get a 'none of the above' box on the papers, but that will never happenas they are too scard to let the elctorate show that they are not apathetic, just angry and powerless. (and if anybody says that wont work coz what happens if none of the above wins, you win the murdock prize for democracy!)

Up the revolution