So, remind me again....

onestone

Reaction score
What is psy-trance?

I went to the Wild Things party a couple of weeks ago and then read the fantastic reviews on the forum about the tunes. Actually, if it wasn't for the people there I would have been bored to tears.

Has psy-trance "progressed" to such a minimalist point where it is just a kick, a bass line and a single sound like a square wave oscillator droning ricky ricky ricky all through the tune?

What happened to all those electronic sounds that grabbed you and sent you on a magical psychedelic trip. Are they too old fashioned now?

I must admit that I left at 3.30 so is it possible that I missed the tunes that everyone was raving about.

Full Lotus

Hob Nob King
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't comment, as I was not at the party, but remember psychedelia is in the mind of the beholder :Smile3:

antic

Junior Members
Reaction score
I was not on the party either, but if you don't find Wild Things' sound to be psy-trance, then I don't know what is :Wink3:

Try Voice of Cod ("We are free" on Organic Rec.) or latest Cosmosis ("Trancendance" on Holophonic Rec.) - maybe that's what you're looking for?

Reaction score
i quote a mate here so can't take the credit for such good wording but he described it as being

'as a frothy as a jacuzzi but about as deep as a paddling pool'

Jon Kenobi

So uncivilised
Reaction score
canyouhearthegoblins said:
'as a frothy as a jacuzzi but about as deep as a paddling pool'
:irofl: thats brilliant :irofl:

onestone

Reaction score
Full Lotus said:
I can't comment, as I was not at the party, but remember psychedelia is in the mind of the beholder :Smile3:
I think you may be right FL. I was thinking exactly that when I was there and corpus mentis and watching the peeps, who were into it. Later on when mind things kicked in I started enjoying it more.

CosmoNaughty

KANYINI
Reaction score
Countrywide the music at psy trance parties seems to be hitting rock bottom, tuneless Shite techno with no hint of psy space is being played as psychedelic trance all over. shame really because there is some good music being released at the moment.

trancetheory

♥♪♫
Reaction score
therez alwayz crap musik man.....I suspect the feeling of 'its not as good as it used to be' is allot to do with the fact that dance music constantly regurgitatez itself, eventually everyonez heard it all before....unless it mutates and evolves, which I'm glad to say it is doing...but if your wanting it to stay like it used to be, it just makes it more and more 'not like it used to be'...imo :Smile3:

ichabod

Reaction score
CosmoNaughty said:
Countrywide the music at psy trance parties seems to be hitting rock bottom, tuneless Shite techno with no hint of psy space is being played as psychedelic trance all over. shame really because there is some good music being released at the moment.
Damn right there! Bristol is a particularly bad culprit! Just have to learn to be selective about what to go to... as psytrance gets more an more popular you can't just go along to any psytrance party and expect decent music - learn to be picky! There is still lots of brilliant psytrance but it is diluted in a sea of crap...

Full Lotus

Hob Nob King
Staff member
Reaction score
One person's crap is another person's essential purchase and vice versa, all down to individual tastes :Smile3:

Ozric

Hoofaloof
Reaction score
Full Lotus said:
One person's crap is another person's essential purchase and vice versa, all down to individual tastes :Smile3:
True; good taste vs bad taste

:tongue1:

Plank!

The Sound Faery
Reaction score
Other people have mentioned just how psychedelic EVP is (in several threads) with a live set from him, error corrective and reality grid. Plus DJ sets from carlos (x2) beardy, Spiney, leon and Gacid, how the hell could anyone complain at the quality of the music?

I was working (doing main room sound) so not off my face, yet I found this one of the best nights of Psy-Trance i've heard in a long time, the music was well produced, very psychedelic, totally NON-cheesey, with not a hint of a vocal to be heard. Can't go wrong with that in my opinion.

All the artists and DJ's mentioned play multi layered, highly psychedelic music, to describe any of it as minimal is bonkers :s

Plank!

The Sound Faery
Reaction score
antic said:
I was not on the party either, but if you don't find Wild Things' sound to be psy-trance, then I don't know what is :Wink3:

Try Voice of Cod ("We are free" on Organic Rec.) or latest Cosmosis ("Trancendance" on Holophonic Rec.) - maybe that's what you're looking for?

atleast four tracks were played from the Cosmosis album - Dead or alive, Naked Chicks, This is me, and Warm Saki :iwink:

onestone

Reaction score
I didn't start this thread suggesting that psy-trance is or has become crap or to criticise anyone's music. As Full Lotus says "One person's crap is another person's essential purchase". I mean for hell's sake, there are people who listen to jazz. What I'm saying is that if the tunes played until 3.30am at that party are the cutting edge of psy-trance then "to me" it's boring minimalist stuff that doesn't do anything for me.

I was listening to MonkeyDo's Dreamspace mix. It has some great tunes - that's what I have been classifying as psy-trance. Have I been wrong? I could very well be - I certainly don't regard myself as an authority of music genres.

Explanation/clarification?

Fromem_Ory

Shantidisestablishment
Reaction score
i dont know exactly what kind of explanation/clarification you're looking for. personally, i've heard about an hoursworth of EVPs choons and i remember feeling pretty enthusiastic about em. eye of this, beholder that, i think its fuckin psy. contradiction this, terms that :P
i like about 5% of all the trance i hear. 10% on a good day, but i'm really specific about what i like. i dont like generic full-on, i dont like hard 'avin it, i dont like night-time, i dont like soppy thumpy prog, after four years i can safely say the only stuff i like is foresty morningy atmospheric passionate cuttin-edge futuristic bouncy stuff :P
just keep on hunting dude. plus when i'm not enjoying the music i just hang in the chillout.
yeah, Monkey Do plays alot of good music. i'm a fan. he's got a good ear for choons... and Steve, u heard those old cosmosis tunes i told you about yet? Gift of the Gods, Howling at the Moon(especially), Doors of Perception etc... love it :P
[/excuse to talk about trance]

Jon Kenobi

So uncivilised
Reaction score
Fromem_Ory said:
after four years i can safely say the only stuff i like is foresty morningy atmospheric passionate cuttin-edge futuristic bouncy stuff
you gonna copyright that as a new sub genre pidgeon hole label tag Alex hehehehe

Fromem_Ory

Shantidisestablishment
Reaction score
pigeon holes are full of pigeon shit :Grin:
as a general rule anyway. however, when i hear that specific sound i love, i dont care if its been done a million times, i dont care if theres nothing new, i dont care who it was made by and where they made it, or how much money they got for it. i just dance my ass off. my vision is to take that specific sound and build on it. but i gotta get that sound down before i start working with it.

Jon Kenobi

So uncivilised
Reaction score
Fromem_Ory said:
pigeon holes are full of pigeon shit :Grin:
as a general rule anyway. however, when i hear that specific sound i love, i dont care if its been done a million times, i dont care if theres nothing new, i dont care who it was made by and where they made it, or how much money they got for it. i just dance my ass off. my vision is to take that specific sound and build on it. but i gotta get that sound down before i start working with it.
so in short - you know what you like and you like what you know :Smile3: and I for one wholeheartdly agree with ya