Sod the Mac, Live 5 convert

trancetheory

♥♪♫
Reaction score
Well after my considerations for a mac I discvoered the ableton Live 5 suite, and wow, everything I ever wanted to do in one package!! of course now I'm gonna have to relearn a sequencer which I didnt realy want to do, but fuk it, this app feels pretty damn amazing, mixing and producing in one app! :Grin: well anywayz, this is what I'm thinkg now, afraid I'm gonna be droping out of both vinyl and cdj now, I dont really see the point anymore when I can concetrate on other more interesting things than lining a couple of tunez up each time :ibiggrin:

Am considering this setup...

Insipiron 6000 or 9300, p4 1.73, 1Gb ram, 100Gb hdd (Dell)
(not sure which yet, wana see which I like the look of, more than likly the 9300 coz it has a nice big 17" screen, but I also dont want a laptop that just looks silly, as shallow as I may b :P )

M-audio Ozone Midi Controller
Love the fact this does audio aswell, so I'm thinking this instead of a dedicated audio unit
(is this suitable for live output?...I mean its not gonna sound like its got a detuned radio stuck up its ass is it?)

Ableton Live 5 & VST synthz/FX etc

Well my limit £1200 for everything, so that seems pretty much the best I'm gonna get for that price not including Live5, I dont have allot, actually any, real experience with Live 5, just been messing with it for the last few days, and love it!...(if only Stienberg would make a live dj mixing plugin for cubase!!)

I also want to get a new usb hard drive, but I'm not really sure if they are suitable for playing live music from (ie burn all my vinyl on to it and just load the choonz up on the fly..) any one had any expeirence with these, am I gonna have problems/ is it a reliable way to play music (multiple choons/samples at a time)? (dont see why not to be honest)

Well anywayz, Mac is not the right choice for me obviously if I am gonna be playing masses of Audio files, coz I dont have the money to get enough power behind it, so itz bak to the good ol' intel P4

Any thoughts?

A

Andrea

P4 1.73 Ghz, is it going to be suficient speed? And 100Gb HD seems pretty small to fit all that amount of audio files.

D

dave arc-i

im lurving abelton - think i might start shagging it soon its that good

D

dave arc-i

usb dtata transfer rates over a sustained period arent as good as firewire - i was told

Poncho

mago del señor
Reaction score
USB 1.1 is slower than firewire but USB 2.0 is faster than firewire.

D

dave arc-i

peak transfer rates are generally quoted for usb where as although firewire may seem slightly slower the figures given for firewire are sustained rates - which are overall greater than usb can manage - so i was told!

trancetheory

♥♪♫
Reaction score
sustained data transfer is more important to me than speed really, even USB 1.1 provides more than enough speed to handle quiet a few audio tracks, but if it cant keep it up for 2 hours, then its not gonna be much good

D

dave arc-i

ive run video this way all night with no discernable problems - well the cpu gets hot but hey isnt that in its jiob spec!!!!!

AEON

dipthong mong
Reaction score
i've been thinking about moving my live sets over to live but simply can't be arsed* with learning a new sequencer...

*aka don't have the bloody time!

M

makdaddy

if your gonna go P4 you want 2ghz minimum or you will only want to upgrade..as soon as you begiin to pile up the VSTi's and FX you will know all about it

and would most definately get a larger HDD

..and ~j~ ...RTFM mate a little reading and it all becomes a swizz :Wink3:

trancetheory

♥♪♫
Reaction score
hmm, well, what to do lol

I was wondering about a mini desktop system, coz could build one dirt cheap, but will be a pain the ass having to carry it around :iconfused

trancetheory

♥♪♫
Reaction score
dont see why that shouldnt cope with what I want to do to be honest, I'v been running cubase and synths on a P4 1.6 for long time with 1GB ram, admitidly not so much audio as I plan on using, but generally I wont huge amounts of audio to deal with, mostly 1 or 2 choonz, plus a few samples, and a few FX and midi channels, max 2 or 3 instruments running at once, as I have my EMUXL hard synth which I use mostly :Smile3:

KungFuHamster

Fabmeister
Reaction score
Miszt, Don't worry about your CPU. Pentium M processors are a lot faster than Pentium 4 processors, clock for clock. 1.73Ghz Pentium M should be quite sufficient for plenty of audio-wrangling goodness.

Ditto with the HD. 100Gigs is not ginormous by today's standards, but is still a heck of a lot of space. I've been using computers and producing music for years and I've never used more than 60 gigs or so. Mind you, I do not have scads of pirated sample libraries and movies etc on my HD.

Just my 0.02.

Cheers.

Plank!

The Sound Faery
Reaction score
not sure about the midi/audio device

Check with OTT on this, he had a unit that got ditched after last years Glade, 'cos i told him it sounded shit!

he then spent a further £200 on a decent (m-audio) sound module and said it was worth every penny.

M

makdaddy

hmmm i woudnt go for the ozone either, simply because its a combined unit meaning if one or t'other goes down youve lost the whole unit (if/when you send it for repair) anyways the cost of seperate audio & midi interfaces by m-audio isnt far of the price of an ozone

trancetheory

♥♪♫
Reaction score
good points, but as I can pick one up for ~100quid on ebay, think maybe its a better investment for now...? I dont have the money to fork out for seperate controller and keyboard and audio interface atm...hmm

of course if it soundz shit then I wont bother, gonna check this out more, thanx :Grin: