Songs that sum up being British

damion

Pound Shop Alex Petridis
Reaction score
what in tintern abbey are you talking about?
I'm putting together a CD for a mate in australia and I want about ten or so songs that really sum up what it is to be British. Kinda disaffected, on the dole, rainy British.

So far I'm thinking:

**The Smiths - Still ill (I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving / england is mine and it owes me a living)

**The Specials - Ghost Town (coming out amid all those riots, and reflecting that racial disaffection)

**Happy Mondays - Step On (or something else that captures that acid house bovverboy daze)

**That one that starts out (in mockney) "Wouldn't It Be Nice / To Get On Wiv Me Neighbours" (whatever it is... i'm thinking the Kinks??)

**Chas & Dave - Rabbit (say no more)

**That London Underground version of Going Underground

.....and now i'm stumped. any ideas?

damion said:
**That one that starts out (in mockney) "Wouldn't It Be Nice / To Get On Wiv Me Neighbours" (whatever it is... i'm thinking the Kinks??)

'Lazy Sunday - The Small Faces'

I would also add 'The Village Green Preservation Society - The Kinks', 'Parklife - Blur',some Clash, Sex Pistols etc etc

martin_e said:
Why does it always rain on me ?
haha wicked. anyone know of a version thats not by travis?

Something by the Streets ?
ahahaha -- nice one -- that one that goes "turn left up the streets, nothing but grey skies and dead beats" etc

'Lazy Sunday - The Small Faces'
thats the bunny :Smile3:

I would also add 'The Village Green Preservation Society - The Kinks', 'Parklife - Blur',some Clash, Sex Pistols etc etc
mmm not sure about Parklife. That sums up being Phil Daniels :Smile3:

Clash and Sex Pistols i'm not too au fait with except the obvious ones. Any gems i should know about?

damion said:
i think i saw the boxhedge clippers at Cardiff Festival ... did they have Nigel from Eastenders? Whatever, they wiped the floor with CarterUSM :Wink3:

Nah - I think Nigel was in a different band, they did a tune involving him wrapping himself in sellotape in a rythmic manner. Hang on - just found it on google. They were called the hKippers and their website is at http://www.hkippers.com/

I saw the hKippers at Walton-on-the-Naze in Essex (whilst in vague pursuit of an extrordinarily attractive guitarist - failed!). They started off well, but the joke ran out a LONG time before the concert did ...

Some Madness... (I think there is one called Land Of Hope And Glory, init)

Dreadzone Little Britain!

Manowar - Hail to England

hail-to-england.jpg

We march from the hills
Down to London Town. -
Join Raise your hand - or hide
When we ride for the crown.

The sign of the hammer and
The black winds blow through
The night. Long was our wait
Our meeting with Fate is tonight.

Strong she stands - reaching her