Sound Programming??

Pocket Fluff

Reaction score
Okay..this is a bit of a tricky question but I'm hoping that there is someone here who can help me out!!

At Uni I am doing a module called 'The Art of Code'. In this module I am learning how to use programming as a medium of creating art. My idea for this module is to somehow program a piece of software (using code) to create tones and frequencies that would be used to create patterns (this process is called Cymatics ). So the question I'm asking is does anybody know of a piece of software that can be programmed to make specific frequencies by Hz and dB??

Thanks alot!! :Smile3:

silky

meh...
Reaction score
Psilocybo said:
Cymatics ). So the question I'm asking is does anybody know of a piece of software that can be programmed to make specific frequencies by Hz and dB??

Thanks alot!! :Smile3:

Isn't the program what you've got to write though?

Not sure if its what you mean but Soundforge can generate a specified frequency at a given dB and create a sample from it

Pocket Fluff

Reaction score
silky said:
Isn't the program what you've got to write though?

Not sure if its what you mean but Soundforge can generate a specified frequency at a given dB and create a sample from it

I would use Soundforge but I've got to use a piece of software which requires code to execute the composition (the patterns I'll be creating).

Suppose I could write a program which allows what I need for the Cymatics but I don't know anything about writing software. Is there an easy way to do this...using Reaktor or something??

Dawson :Smile3:

silky

meh...
Reaction score
ohhhh, i think i know wot u mean.

i used to use Octamed on the amiga years ago, it was a tracker (as opposed to sequencer) that could play back samples but also had a built in synth programming language, you could even crash the computer if you coded it incorrect. u can get a pc version of it too somewhere probly, not that you'd probly want too

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
Reaction score
With 4-bit samples? Ergh... What can I say, it was about quality, not quantity for me :Wink3:

J.

(I was very impressed with the eight-channel trick that Rainbow Arts used in Turrican II though :Grin:)

If I'm honest I did actually start out on the original MED (v1.12!), but later switched to ProTracker because it had better cross-platform routines when my school mates and I would try to write demos...

silky

meh...
Reaction score
4bit? i wasnt aware that the sample was degraded, more the overall volume. anyway, did you not ever experience the delights of octamed soundstudio. upto 64 channel in mix mode with options to use 16bit Tocatta or Prelude cards?

ah-haaaa!

the best bit, you can still load up all this stuff with an amiga emulator and play all your old .mod files over yer pc, with midi ports emulated too!

ive got turrican 2 around somewhere.....hmm, or was it the first one?