Hardware Speaker Recommendations

Torsion Jim

don't just do something, stand there
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
I dont produce music, but i do play the occasional phonograph of boogie. Im slowly trying collate data on some new speakers for that use.

I currently have a 150w per channel amp, but what im really after is any make or model recommendation that you have used/owned/heard and thought 'yes mate'.

The bassy the better, but dont let that hold you back.

cheers n tha

NabLa

Spaniard DeLuxe
Reaction score
I can't really offer any specifics as I don't own any, but I would definitely recommend looking at hifi speakers instead of studio monitors. Monitors are made for accuracy and with a very narrow field of sound - you're meant to position them and yourself in certain ways.

Torsion Jim

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
my specifications are theoretical

I just wish to hear about good brands/models that people know of

Nanook

In the kitchen, studio or gym.
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Really a bit broad for me to jump on this.
Any indication of budget, or size of room, or stuff like that would help...

Torsion Jim

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
for example

Torsion Jim

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
its just a 'these are good speakers' thread.

Not tied down to anything specific, other than the joy of linking good stuff

nab

Forum Member
Reaction score
I like my KRK Rokit 5. Pretty bassy and pleasing to listen to. They’re not overly like studio monitors in that their sense of separation isn’t massive. But I deliberately bought them over more forensic monitors on the basis that if i think other music sounds good on them then I’ll have a decent idea of how to mix my own music. Plus I would enjoy the process more if I like the sound of the monitors, which I do.

whitedog

Lunar SeeD
Reaction score
I have a pair of 1970s Tannoy Cheviots, for the living room HiFi. They are big, and deliver absolutely awesome clarity, even at high volume. You can still pick up a nice pair for a couple of grand.
In my studio, I use Presonus Eris E5s. Cheap as chips, and as good as things costing five times the price, if a little lacking in low bass response on account of the small cones (just add a sub). Any of the Eris range are good if you want professional quality precision, on a budget.

nab

Forum Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of 1970s Tannoy Cheviots, for the living room HiFi. They are big, and deliver absolutely awesome clarity, even at high volume. You can still pick up a nice pair for a couple of grand.
In my studio, I use Presonus Eris E5s. Cheap as chips, and as good as things costing five times the price, if a little lacking in low bass response on account of the small cones (just add a sub). Any of the Eris range are good if you want professional quality precision, on a budget.
I was contemplating a pair of Eris 3.5 for low level mixing.