Hardware Speaker Recommendations

Torsion Jim

PsyMusic Radio
Reaction score
I dont produce music, but i do play the occasional phonograph of boogie. Im slowly trying collate data on some new speakers for that use.

I currently have a 150w per channel amp, but what im really after is any make or model recommendation that you have used/owned/heard and thought 'yes mate'.

The bassy the better, but dont let that hold you back.

cheers n tha

NabLa

Spaniard DeLuxe
Reaction score
I can't really offer any specifics as I don't own any, but I would definitely recommend looking at hifi speakers instead of studio monitors. Monitors are made for accuracy and with a very narrow field of sound - you're meant to position them and yourself in certain ways.

Torsion Jim

PsyMusic Radio
Reaction score
my specifications are theoretical

I just wish to hear about good brands/models that people know of

Torsion Jim

PsyMusic Radio
Reaction score
its just a 'these are good speakers' thread.

Not tied down to anything specific, other than the joy of linking good stuff

nab

Forum Member
Reaction score
I like my KRK Rokit 5. Pretty bassy and pleasing to listen to. They’re not overly like studio monitors in that their sense of separation isn’t massive. But I deliberately bought them over more forensic monitors on the basis that if i think other music sounds good on them then I’ll have a decent idea of how to mix my own music. Plus I would enjoy the process more if I like the sound of the monitors, which I do.

whitedog

Lunar SeeD
Reaction score
I have a pair of 1970s Tannoy Cheviots, for the living room HiFi. They are big, and deliver absolutely awesome clarity, even at high volume. You can still pick up a nice pair for a couple of grand.
In my studio, I use Presonus Eris E5s. Cheap as chips, and as good as things costing five times the price, if a little lacking in low bass response on account of the small cones (just add a sub). Any of the Eris range are good if you want professional quality precision, on a budget.

nab

Forum Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of 1970s Tannoy Cheviots, for the living room HiFi. They are big, and deliver absolutely awesome clarity, even at high volume. You can still pick up a nice pair for a couple of grand.
In my studio, I use Presonus Eris E5s. Cheap as chips, and as good as things costing five times the price, if a little lacking in low bass response on account of the small cones (just add a sub). Any of the Eris range are good if you want professional quality precision, on a budget.
I was contemplating a pair of Eris 3.5 for low level mixing.