Spot the preset

paradice

Junior Members
Reaction score
Has anyone heared obvious uses of unalterd or near unalterd preset sounds in old and new psy tracks?

It would be intresting to know if anyone has found any.

The most overused, but usually quite good, is the delay lama. Although not quite a synth as such, it appeared in almostst every other (psy) trance album of last year.

's a good game... but my mates all look at me funny when I shout "ES2!" or "Someone got a Virus for christmas!" in the middle of a tune...

geek and proud of it....

Do you think that knowing how the music is made spoils your enjoyment of it? I do, but then I don't know what it feels like to be able to just hear the music and have no idea where it came from or how...

^^^ yeah, I get that. My gf is always saying "shut up - can't you just listen to it?" and I'm like "mmm - nice sub... snappy snares..." etc.... :Grin:

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (AlternateContinuum @ Feb 4 2004, 10:51 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Do you think that knowing how the music is made spoils your enjoyment of it? I do, but then I don't know what it feels like to be able to just hear the music and have no idea where it came from or how... [/quote:15b8928b3a]
For me personally, I find the opposite is true. I find it really hard to enjoy music if I'm sitting there thinking "how the hell did they make *that* sound?".

[geek]

It certainly doesn't spoil my enjoyment of, say, Shpongle's Star Shpongled Banner just 'cos I recognise the bass as being a cheap and nasty Aria Acoustic. :P

[/geek]

I think a good sound is a good sound, and it's more important what you do with it, such as a great melody, than whether it is recognisable as a preset or not. But maybe I think that because I am so used to having a limited range of sounds to play with.

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lazytom @ Feb 4 2004, 11:14 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> ^^^ yeah, I get that. My gf is always saying "shut up - can't you just listen to it?" and I'm like "mmm - nice sub... snappy snares..." etc.... :Grin: [/quote:2f3a3d751f]
Ditto. The non-musical, or those who don't have the right 'ear' to analyse music, don't know what they're missing! Many are plain deaf to much of the detail in most music, and when they say 'enjoy' or 'just listen' to the music, to them that means just recognising the basic beat of the kick drum or the overall groove or mood of the track.

Being able to understand the make-up of a track and being able to notice slight changes in timbre and to figure out how a special effect has been achieved is what being a musician is all about - hey, I was taught to do that in Music GCSE! So next time someone says 'just listen to it', you could say 'I'm listening to it more than you are'.

When at a party and dancing to the music, most of the time I'm analysing it, and I find it fun. When I hear something really special which makes me starting wondering 'how' it was done, it brings me joy.

K

i dont recon the delay lama is used as much as people think, bit crusher plug in on formant sounds sound a lot better

i hear a lot of absynth presets in drum n bass, i suse them too, its usually my starting point of a tune

listen to older tunes and you cant get away from presets 303, junos etc the basis of the tunes were presets even though the artists swore blind they wern't, but these days the amount of sounds out there its easy to flick through presets til you find what you want rather the come up with it your self, a shame but true

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (moonunit @ Apr 9 2004, 05:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> you cant get away from presets 303... [/quote:2844ca74a2]
Sorry to be pedantic but you can't save presets on a 303.

[/COAT]

I used to really appreciate Timo Maas' productions (quality wise...), i knew some tunes but then listened to the full album 'Loud', which is full of Absynth sounds... maybe that's the reason i didn't like that album, i think it's nice to imagine the producers you admire in a studio with mixers/converters/synths you didn't even know existed,
but then hearing some normal vsti playing...awwww.
hmm, maybe then you realize that they are just better than you, working with the same equipment but sounding much better :Smile3:
haven't figured out what Hybrid are using, i think i don't wanna know...i prefer to stay with the 'better equipment' excuse...
Also , i think the game's name should be changed to 'when will people stop using Stylus already??' :hehe:

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J Violet @ Apr 14 2004, 04:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Also , i think the game's name should be changed to 'when will people stop using Stylus already??' :hehe: [/quote:739bdb9194]
Aw... and there's me only just installed it.

Maybe we should change it to "When will people start making better use of Zone Edit", or "When will people learn how to use Groove Control properly"...

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J Violet @ Apr 14 2004, 04:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> I used to really appreciate Timo Maas' productions (quality wise...), i knew some tunes but then listened to the full album 'Loud', which is full of Absynth sounds... maybe that's the reason i didn't like that album, i think it's nice to imagine the producers you admire in a studio with mixers/converters/synths you didn't even know existed,
but then hearing some normal vsti playing...awwww.
[/quote:613bd00b0e]
Dado and GBU stuff has loads of Absynth and Virus presets as well.
Oh and that group called "Israeli style full-on music" uses a lot of the same VB-1, ES-1 bass sound.

Peace.

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (paradice @ Feb 3 2004, 06:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> The most overused, but usually quite good, is the delay lama. Although not quite a synth as such, it appeared in almostst every other (psy) trance album of last year. [/quote:859630ed02]
Hey Hey, I said about this in a plug-in section, and got shot down in flames by some serious producers, who corrected me by saying that there are lots of plugins producing that sort of sound and something about "delayed vowel synthesis is acheivable with lots of delay units if you know the right settings" etc.... So even though those sorts of sounds were on pretty much every Psy CD they might not be Delay Lama.

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (geoffwiffen @ Apr 16 2004, 10:38 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [/QUOTE]
there are lots of plugins producing that sort of sound and something about "delayed vowel synthesis is acheivable with lots of delay units if you know the right settings" etc.... So even though those sorts of sounds were on pretty much every Psy CD they might not be Delay Lama. [/quote:0799c88915]
Yup - there's even a couple of DelayLama presets on the Virus

I heard this HardHouse song that my flatmate last year played me - he loved it - that had the most recognisable Virus arpeg plug-in. It think it may even be within the first 10 sounds of bank A or something stupid. He didn't even mess with the cut-off. My mate thought it was an excellent tune (well... he is actually into HH which is weird enough! :wacko:Smile3: but I just couldn't listen to it. :no:

I'd rather listen to the Virus Demo!!
:peace:

i mite also add: it seems some people think that if you produce music then your are taken away from enjojing it and it becomes somthing of a analytical process.
I had this in the first 2 years of producing and now i have (or at least i think i have) acquired a skill where i can do both. Maybe its not a skill at alll but i know i can enjoy/analyze and music simultaneously.

And i like to hear the use of obvious presets in tracks becaues although the preset may already be made, what a producer/artist does with it amazes me(somtimes)!

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (paradice @ Apr 19 2004, 02:05 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> i mite also add: it seems some people think that if you produce music then your are taken away from enjojing it and it becomes somthing of a analytical process.
I had this in the first 2 years of producing and now i have (or at least i think i have) acquired a skill where i can do both. Maybe its not a skill at alll but i know i can enjoy/analyze and music simultaneously.

[/quote:5d4dc185fa]
I think that being a producer makes you enjoy listening to music more than if you weren't a producer. :Smile3:

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kudos @ Feb 4 2004, 02:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Many are plain deaf to much of the detail in most music, and when they say 'enjoy' or 'just listen' to the music, to them that means just recognising the basic beat of the kick drum or the overall groove or mood of the track.
[/quote:fbe35f9cfc]
Dude, i can see what you mean, but sometimes being deaf to each and every tiny little detail is a good thing... I mean, i'm deaf anyway, so being tone deaf goes with the territory... It annoys me not to be able to hear some of it but as long as i get the mood or the beat then I'm real happy...

Mind you, I'm no musician so I can't really say anything...

I suppose it's each to their own, right? However you enjoy music, it's always good!

:dancecool:

Bons x

Neondragonfly : definatly, i also belive that some tracks are overproduced. Too many sounds make it somtimes difficult to haer what your really want to. Everyon enjoys differnt tones and melodies and i belive the term psyhedelic , to some people, means taht the more sounds you use the better. i think not although if a track doesnt have enogh in i do get extremely bored.

Back