Stereo basslines... yes or no?

ichabod

Reaction score
I know the advice is to always keep the bass in mono to avoid wierd phase effects etc. I've been writing a progressive track using heavy chorus on the bassline. I'm not sure whether or not to keep the chorus. It does make it sound better on my monitors but will it completely mess up if it evever gets played on a rig?

I'm sure I've heard the odd prog track which does use stereo effects on the bassline - maybe its not such a big no-no?

ChrisCabbage

Forum Member
Reaction score
Vinyl mastering usually involves forcing the entire bottom end to mono to prevent just that.

Plank!

The Sound Faery
Reaction score
Most big rigs use summed mono for sub/bass below 120Hz. No point putting any stero information in the bassline it will just turn the bottom end to mush when its played on a club or festival system.

Plank!

A

Andrea

I'm recording a bassline from the Virus to Cubase as audio signal. The source is a stereo signal, is it wrong to record it on mono channel? Or shall I set the Virus to play mono in the first place?

Ta

M

makdaddy

i would be inclined to go mono at the source if its a mono b-line your after

M

makdaddy

the majority of soft synths tho are stereo, if im using them for bass i run it through a plugin by DFX called monomaker, although i cannot hear a massive amount of difference over my monitors i am always hoping that it will have some real effect when being played over a large rig.

and having a done a few a-b tests over time, the bass run though the mono plugin does sound better than bass in stereo

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
Reaction score
Of course, just to throw a little fly in the ointment, Scorb's 'Lunaris' has a stereo bassline. I don't know whether it's mono below 120Hz though.

J.

Plank!

The Sound Faery
Reaction score
there are lots of tracks with stereo basslines
however most big rigs/clubs use mono, 'cos there is just not enough stereo information there (from your ears point of view) to make the loss of power during stereo effects worth while.

Often there is only one Sub-Bass amp/speaker so 90% of the time its really not going to be worth mixing stuff in stereo

Even on the OPUS rigs we often use Mono summing cards in the crossover's - helps keep the bass solid.

mad ron

Reaction score
I remember when there was lots off reports back from DJs that they couldn't hear the bass freq when they played one of my mates records on a big rig and it was because he forgot to mono the low end. it was his best choon and no one played it. Beware!

ichabod

Reaction score
mmm am thinking of splitting the bass at around 100Hz and just applying the chorus to the higher end while keeping the rest in mono...

nik

Reaction score
JPsychodelicacy said:
Of course, just to throw a little fly in the ointment, Scorb's 'Lunaris' has a stereo bassline. I don't know whether it's mono below 120Hz though.

J.
Yea i was going to point that one out too. Probably one of the best basslines i've heard in a psy track.
Youll notice the low notes remain in the centre but spread more with higher pitch. Excellent effect and brilliant masterclass.
Ive applied stereo chorus to the bass of some of my older tunes and had good results. keeping it in mono is definitely more solid. Applying it to frequencies over 100hz is a good idea though :Wink3:

My old Mustech teacher had his PANTS theory...whereby you have stereo width on the x axis and frequency on the y axis.
Now - imagine a pair of pants (in this case y-fronts) on the graph. This represents the suggested stereo imaging for all frequencies. The bass being the crotch area, at the bottom, and the higher freqencies spread across the hips.
PANTS

Gibbonflux

Boom Boom Boom
Reaction score
ichabod said:
mmm am thinking of splitting the bass at around 100Hz and just applying the chorus to the higher end while keeping the rest in mono...
Yeah. If you chorus the low frequencies you'll get some phase cancellation going on, which will make the low end fluctuate in level - generally not what you want unless you're using sustained notes and going for that beating effect (as used in a lot of D&B). If it's short solid bass notes you're after, put the chorus on a seperate stereo channel, put a high pass filter after it and send the bass to it via an aux send.

M

makdaddy

we have shared alot of bass patches... the majority of his are in mono :Smile3:

ChrisCabbage

Forum Member
Reaction score
Is it better to do all this at source or at the back-end though?

I'm thinking that various sounds could have non-obvious low frequency components that could dip down into the sub frequencies. It would make sense to me to have a back end processor doing the *pants* thing as well as trying to get the source right too.

Or am I talking nonsense?

M

makdaddy

but you would be eq'ing the bottom from your "various sounds" so they dont interfere with the kick n bass anyways right ?

unless i have mis-understood your post purusha?