Stops in tracks - why?

JohnM

blah blah blah
Reaction score
I was reading the thread about techno/gabba & Andrew Organic posted

[I reckon you're right mizt about all the changes in trance - don't really put u into a trance.. if you go back 5 years or so there were more trance tunes with longer loooonger sections in which layers were added and faded away.. and you would really just trance out.. ]

which got me thinking about my pet hate - tracks that just stop dead when they're getting going... in fact its normally at exactly the point that the more exuberant/trollied amongst us might normally shout "come ON!!", thats the point many tracks just... Stop.. Dead.. For no apparent reason..

The "breakdown" has been used for year in trance to slow things back down then bring them all back in extra loud/banging. But thats different to tracks just stopping dead, then starting back up again all wishy washy. Does anyone have any idea why is so prevalent - other than maybe to stop people getting too tired if they've been dancing for five days solid at a festival?

buttons

Junior Members
Reaction score
wot like eskimo at glade - drove me mad - rested up in the day, timed me intake so it was comein on good and and then it was all stop start.... soooooooooo wrong.

Dragongurl

zooming blue
Reaction score
It musn't stop completly, just a nice little hickup in the music to add a bounce to the track.

But that annoying "lets start the track again" idea is such BS!! It should build and biuld and climax and BOOOOOMMM.....then maybe you can start winding it down....but only a little

Mubali

Fledgling sonic shaman
Reaction score
I put little stops and starts in there to break up the monotony of having the same structure all the time. A little fake out can work wonders on the dancefloor if done properly. I don't do it all the time mind you, but I would get bored writing with the same song structure all the time.

Purple-X

Fagins' Reject - Psynon Records
Reaction score
Eurghh!!! :burp:

It builds up and then (((BOOM)))............(kik with loads of reverb on it)

Only to build up again for a minimum of 1 minute and then it kicks off again only to come to a poi (((BOOM)))..............Ect ect

Not really trance IMHO

X

Mubali

Fledgling sonic shaman
Reaction score
Now, I don't do that... If I fake you out with a false build, it's only for a maximum of an 8 count usually. I don't do the whole 6 builds in a breakdown thingy... That's so Oakenfrag trance...

AEON

dipthong mong
Reaction score
for fun & exploration?

all i can say from personal experience is that some tracks have less than 4 bars of real 'break' in the whole track whereas others jump around - it's never really done just for the fuck of it but to try and communicate something, either in terms of introducing a new melodic or rhythmic section or just trying to muck around with track structure for the fun of it. i say 'fun', but i realise it's not always fun for everyone... but similarly to different time signatures, playing around with the 'norms' of a musical style can be really revealing. personally not every track i have made is necessarily designed entirely for the dancefloor... i tend to do things a bit differently live as well.

i guess the final answer for me would be 'because'?!? :Wink3: something of a cop-out i know :Wink3:

CariFairy

Now Less Confused
Reaction score
Me and this random guy were right taking the piss at tristan at glastonbury :Wink3:

Everytime there was a stop we stopped dancing, put one hand on our hips and "checked our watches" so to speak for the ten seconds that nothing was happening, shaking our heads and tutting, tapping our "watches" and giggling then when the music came back on againSTOMPSTOMPSTOMP

:Grin:

tristan was very good by the way

ichabod

Reaction score
Yeah - tracks hardly ever just stop dead - there's usually some percussion to keep the rhythm. Obviously too many stops can be annoying but cutting the beat out for a bit lets you draw the attention to some particulalrly exotic sounds plus it gives the important contrast when the beat comes back in.