Strikes

trancetheory

♥♪♫
Reaction score
I'm getting totaly sick of the way people are being allowed to strike constantly :imad:

What do you think?

Personally I would have sacked the whole fuking lot of them on NYE, I'm getting really pissed off that the rail companys are being sucked into these things constantly, for such pathetic reasons...(i am not talking about ligitimate problems, eg saftey)

Some statsistcz I believe are right...

Tube drivers work 35 hour working week and get 52 days holiday a year....and yet they want £31000+ a year!!!

Teachers are lucky if they start at £19000 a year. Wheres the equaility in that?! Some how teachers are also expected to pay off there huge debts with that minor salary aswell, tube drivers how ever are given full training, paid training.

52 days holiday a year?! I get 28days as a network admin! pfffft and even then, 14 of those I am on standby.

35 hours a week?! I work 48, if I'm lucky...

I'm sick of it, its totaly unfair that these lazy fukers can work so few hours, for a huge pay cheuqe, and huge holiday benifits....plus free travel on all of tube, buses & London Rail, and discounts on the rest of the UK's railways, it costs me about £700 a year, just to get to work.

They are also causing caos on the roads, people cant get to work, (Doctors, Nurses, Fire Crews, etc), the roads become jammed with traffic, so emergancy services take longer to get to emergancies, thats assuming the staff have even managed to get into work.

Sack them all, IMO, I would. Its time Unions where sorted out, they are all fat cat bastards milking the system for as much money as they can, and helping to destroy our communitys in the process.

Yay, theres my rant for the week... :imad:

Misztie its a lot more complicated than just that. With respect, you are sounding a bit like a Daily Mail columnist.

Driving a tube is probably one of the most dreadful jobs you can do. Yes, they get paid fairly well, but they put up with alot of crap and have to work with a system that is overcrowded, old and often unsafe. Additionally they often have to deal with attacks, people throwing themselves under trains and not to mention having to spend their whole working day underground in tunnels. It can't be good for you and it can't be healthy.

This brings me to the next point. Safety. Mostly they strike because of reasons of safety and I'm afraid I am with them on that one.

If the system is unsafe, then we shouldn't be using it. The underground gets more and more expensive all the time and yet where are the so called improvements that London Underground have promised?

I live on the Northern (or misery) line. My better half commutes from North to South London every day and has a hellish time trying to just get on with his commute without signal failures, trains breaking down and general chaos on a regular basis.

To be honest I am more pissed off with London Underground and the PPP (Private Partnership) which is sucking the funds dry with their 'jobs for the boys' and their impossible to understand chain of accountability.

The same people who were responsible for some serious train crashes in recent years are now getting fat on the profits of the PPP and supposedly looking after safety on the tube network.

Unions exist to balance the power between corporations/big businesses and the workers. Unions (whilst sometimes over reactive and sometimes seemingly petty) are an invaluable part of a democracy and workers rights. Without unions, the fat cat businesses and the corporations would run out of control.

As it is, unions are losing more of their power every year and people instead resort to the American system of suing everybody for everything, instead of banding together with their fellow employees to right injustices within the workplace and to have their voices heard.

Workers need to be represented. What you (and Maggie Thatcher) are proposing would take workers rights back to previous centuries.

Yes, sometimes Unions get it wrong, but ultimately they exist to aid the common worker. The fact that London Underground (for example) are able to spend alot more money on buying up media space and have alot slicker PR people usually makes for rather biased reporting in most newspapers.

Whilst strikes are inconvenient for everybody, people as a rule do not like striking and use it as a last resort only. Nobody wants to lose wages and create disharmony. Usually its because people feel very strongly about these matters and where safety is concerned, I am wholly with them.

xxx

The right to withdraw your labour if you feel badly treated must be up there with the right to vote for women, as one of the biggest struggles through out the world over the past say, 150 years. People have died, been tortured etc etc over this issue, and still are throughout the world. Certainly the situation here is different to that, but the right to strike is fundamental.Period.

What she said ^^

Couldn't be arsed to write an essay on it so I'm glad someone did it for me and no doubt did a far better job.

Sparkle-ma said:
Misztie its a lot more complicated than just that. With respect, you are sounding a bit like a Daily Mail columnist.

Your sounding like a unionist chuk :irazz: hehe

well I disagree, i believe that the unions are delibratling stiring trouble with very little regard to the saftey of its members, that is just a front.

How many tube crashes have there been?! i dont remeber a single one tbh, so how unsafe is it realy? 2million+ people traveling accross the network everyday, and the only incidents are down to passenger choices (suicide, stupidity, drunkenness, etc)

Its all relative imo, yes the companies should strive to make the system safer and safer, but there is risk getting out of bed, and saying the rail networks are a deathtrap is simply untrue.

Pherhaps cars should be banned? theres allot of car crashes every day, i suspect more car crashes each day than train crashes ever...

Yes the government should be making the system safer, so should the companies.

But imo, the unions are using that as an excuse for a free holiday.

Its not as if the workers are forming picket lines and letting everyone know excatly why they are not working is it? nope, they are at home, with a cup of tea, while people like me struggle with having to make what should be a 1.5 hour journey, and taking 3 hours to do it.

Fuck The Unions.

I agree in principal with unions, absolutly, but imo these fukers are taking the country for a ride so that they can get rich.

(ps. i cant stand the Daily Mail, am more of an Evening Standard reader myself :P hehe)

You mean you don't remember the Central line being shut for a while a couple of years back???

miszt said:
relativly speaking, how unsafe is it really?

I seem to remember a lot of people dying in a fire at King's Cross tube station some years ago. Was that caused by litter under the escalator or something? Could have resulted from cost cutting and fewer cleaners you know.

ozdave said:
I seem to remember a lot of people dying in a fire at King's Cross tube station some years ago. Was that caused by litter under the escalator or something? Could have resulted from cost cutting and fewer cleaners you know.

someone droped there cigertte onto the wooden escalators, as a result smoking was banned on the entire network

Back