Stuff I learned at the weekend

ChrisCabbage

Forum Member
Well, I did the track-writing session at the weekend with someone I've been wanting to work with for some time.

Coming from a MIDI / Hardware background, I'd kind-of just translated that way of working over to the Cubase SX MIDI / VSTi environment.

What I learned this weekend is how flexible it is to work almost entirely in audio tracks - cut 'em up, gate 'em - take bits you want from longer samples & stretch them etc.

Pressing pretty-much everything to audio doesn't mean that's the end of it by any means. In fact, it seems that's where the fun can really start!

It also has the advantage of lower CPU load!

Must now start to properly get to grips with the audio editing in Cubase...

M

makdaddy

Purusha said:
Well, I did the track-writing session at the weekend with someone I've been wanting to work with for some time.
nice 1 :iwink:

Purusha said:
What I learned this weekend is how flexible it is to work almost entirely in audio tracks - cut 'em up, gate 'em - take bits you want from longer samples & stretch them etc.

Pressing pretty-much everything to audio doesn't mean that's the end of it by any means. In fact, it seems that's where the fun can really start!

It also has the advantage of lower CPU load!

and it speeds up your tune writing no end i tells ya

BeatNik

DJohn Mustard Project
AI...

I work almost completely in audio too :Smile3:... big fan of the bounce and Offline processing too :iyes:

And with programs like melodyne almost anything can be done with a dry melodic line... or even a non-melodic line...

Audio is the way forward :Grin:

Getafix

Bass Freak
^^
Its when you bounce a midi part down to audio which allows you to use plugin's & process the audio files without taking up any cpu, hence "offline processing"..

I like to work with audio as well, i'm just lazy when it comes to bouncing down my leads since i'm never really happy with the sounds & always end up changing them!

Dharma Lab

I live in a giant bucket
Bouncing to audio is a necessity for me, but I like to keep the midi parts & VSTi settings in case I come back to them, although I find the process of doing this extremely tedious, & it very much kills a nice workflow. Never was able to get the automated export macro to work.

AEON

dipthong mong
yeah i inevitably have a separate project called '[projectname]basis', where i lay out and record all the big reverbs, complex bits using big synths, etc...

S Cube said:
^^
Its when you bounce a midi part down to audio which allows you to use plugin's & process the audio files without taking up any cpu, hence "offline processing"..

I like to work with audio as well, i'm just lazy when it comes to bouncing down my leads since i'm never really happy with the sounds & always end up changing them!

I always bounce everything down except the bass and some percussion, makes writing 8 minute tunes much easier for your computer!!

OPTOBOT

OPTOBOT
offline processing

-- when you right click some audio and process the audio with a plug in

-- all settings are saved

-- righty click the audio again, go to 'audio' then 'offline process history'

-- this way you can re edit or change any processed parameters :Smile3: :Smile3:

-- makes processing audio much less worrying

Speakafreaka

Champagne Rouletter
I work like this - I keep the demo version of Fruity 6 only even though I own a full version. I tend to come up with loads of 303ish arpegiated waveforms export them without delay or anything then bang them through some handrolled Reaktor units to make them properley twisted...

Chuck 'em in Cubase behind a chunky engine, chuck in a bit of delay, reverb (on a send channel and compression (not in that order) and *blat* these form backbone, and only the main leads, bass and percussion stay in midi.

Generally speaking, the more you have in MIDI = No Decision = Unfinished Tune.

Missing-Link

looking forward
i usulay record the midi in and play about with it, tillit sounds good...then bounce to audio..nd play with it, but i must admit i need to be more creative wiht this... usualy keep the programing an mute...

vst/au i bounce down when the cpu gives in..i usualy get rid of the au/vst after that so its no return...

i cant work out i f i mute or bypass these it will sort out the cpu so i just get rid...

also i dont have mixing desk pluged in at present so i put my synths stright into the sound card mixer in the pc....

M

makdaddy

Missing-Link said:
st/au i bounce down when the cpu gives in..i usualy get rid of the au/vst after that so its no return...

disabling the VST / AU and other plugs on the scannel strip should dramatically reduce the cpu load

Lost Soul

Lost his tree
Interesting. I hardly ever bounce stuff down to audio (having hardware mixer + synths + effects makes this slightly harder to do, and generally incurs an accumulation of background DC and noise), my PC can take a stupid number of instruments as it's an Athlon 3700. I record sections of tunes sometimes so I can do audio-type effects, like pitch bend the whole thing or reverse it, or chop it up madly. Generally I like being able to edit anything at any time, I don't get the "unfinished tune" problem since with my hardware it's a nightmare to come back to tracks, so I always totally finish them before moving on. It's actually more liberating than you'd think!

ChrisCabbage

Forum Member
Why do you get background DC?

Tried a noise gate on the individual synths?

BTW - I played the new Shakta vs. Purusha track as the opener to my set on Saturday. Went down quite well I think!

:Wink3:

ChrisCabbage

Forum Member
Still not quite following you there.

You'll have to describe your set up in a bit more detail.

Do you just use your desk to get external signals into your sound-card and then mix digitally, or do you mix in the analogue domain externally?

Or something else?

Lost Soul

Lost his tree
My soundcard goes into the mixing desk (I sub mix all my VSTs etc in my soundcard) where it's mixed with all my hardware stuff. Then the output of my desk goes into my soundcard where it's recorded.