TEFL and Travel

psy-fly Oct 1, 2004

1. psy-fly

psy-fly anti-rat (i.e. no cheese)

Threads:
    hi, this doesnt exactly involve psy-trance, but i was just wondering has anyone here travelled and taught english. im doing a TEFL course at the moment and am really looking forward to travelling with it, argentina and brazil i have in mind (t'would be deadly if there were some parties there). Well im just seeing if anyone can give me recommendations on this or share their experience. thanks :smokingr:

2. jackus

jackus headancer of mothership

Threads:
    I have taught esol in England and have colleagues who have worked abroad with a tefl certificate. Make sure that your qualification meets the requirements of the countrys you are interested in going to. Check out the forums for teaching abroad at www.tes.co.uk and perhaps post a topic there about experience of working in S. America. I did this when I was thinking of working in the Middle East and found out I couldnt as I was a single mother (hence didnt officially have responsibility for my kids). They will also be helpful on contacts. Also check out the organisation links there from agencies, to job sites. There are always jobs in China and Indonesia for English. Also check out www.ecis.org.uk who list jobs and contact details.

All the best
    Jackie

ps get some quality photocopiable resource materials books to take with you.

3. SERENAROX

SERENAROX Junior Members

Threads:
    My ex boyfriend has just finished his tefl course in India and is planning to go to Japan to teach. Apparently there are schools that chuck in your accommodation and stuff and the wages are really well paid. Dont know the name of it but il let you know how he gets on.

LOL
    Serena
    xxxxx

4. saxopholus

saxopholus Junior Members

Threads:
    Sounds like a fun trip. I taught some English in the very south of Brazil, Rio Grande do Sul. They were so interested in the UK accents (they learn US English there) that I was often called upon to demonstrate local accents (I'm no actor! :Grin: ) and chat about slang. To be honest I don't have any qualification other than that I'm English, but then I only was a language assistant and didn't take any classes. In any case I was only 18 and quite a few students were older than I!

Perhaps the best idea if u want something informal is to just post adverts at Universities and offer English coaching to students who need English for their degree (e.g. Medical students, whose books are written in English, translation times would put them out of date). Also those, who want to study in the US do special language courses that focus on grammar (difficult for me!), but want to speak more fluently also. Tricky with only a Brazilian teacher who may not know the slang. Excellent way of meeting locals I did a similar thing but then I had contacts already. Throught the unis I got into a band as well, so really just throw yourself around.

With a qualifiation under your belt they will be even keener to have lessons. Just make sure you have plenty to offer them. Take loads of photos of the UK as well they will be interested.

Any specific q's please ask. :Smile3:

5. psyxel

psyxel Badajalash

Threads:
  6. psy-fly

Threads:
    thanks everyone for the response, i didnt get a chance to look on this for a few days.

teaching english seems to open up opportunities for some interesting adventures and could be really fullfilling work. i would definitely be up for some volunteer work, as well as paid work, when im away, for people who wouldnt be able to afford such a luxury.

thanks again people and psyxel if i end up in Buenos Aires i might give ye a shout about parties, work and pleasure, yo! :Wink3:

7. psy-fly

Threads:
    hey saxopholus, just a quick question. i hear its quite hard to get a working visa for brazil. did you get one or did you just work with a tourist visa, how strict etc is it? thanks

8. saxopholus

saxopholus Junior Members

Threads:
    I just blagged it really, it wasn't formal. I guess if u want to do it probably u may. not sure, sorry. :Smile3:

9. psy-fly

Threads:
    Just in case others are using this forum an are looking for jobs, info etc, check out www.daveseslcafe.com its a really good site i found :Smile3:

10. Lyra

Lyra tranquila querida

Threads:
    I am doing a CELTA course (TEFL) at the moment as well and im planning to travel with it, although September 2006 is my goal, as i need to save up money..

So this is all really useful for me! :goodthre:

11. psy-fly

Threads:
    alright kool, you should definitely check through that website then it has absolutely everything in it for teaching english. Also if you can be certain of a job you might not need to save that much for going away, just a thought anyway.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice