Thai-Psy?

Pricey Dec 9, 2004

1. Pricey

Pricey Ontologist

Threads:
    Will be popping over there for a few weeks in the period 5th Feb - 26th March. Absolutely no plan as of yet, except to get to Hat Rin (or whatever it's called) on Ko Pha-Ngan by 24th Feb for the full-moon madness :?

Anyone know of anything going on out there then, or am I going to have to be all boring and 'cultural' for the full duration :no:

2. heva

heva mischief-maker.....

Threads:
    My friend is going out ther ein Jan, managed to find these guys who do psy nights:

http://www.halfmoonfestival.com/

If you look at the schedule then theres definately at least one psy night whilst you're there, so you can get some stomping action in thai styleee. Enjoy :punk:

3. JohnM

JohnM blah blah blah

Threads:
    The Full Moon party is an experience - but dont go expecting a full-on psy party - its massive, lots of systems playing varied tune s- but nainly pretty mainstream. Its full of backpackers on the piss - which is fair enough if you know what to expect - and can be a good laugh - but will be a dispointment if youre expecting a rerun of goa in the early 1990s!

The Half Moon parties are a lot better bet - they may sound like a dubious cash in -but are actually proper outdoor psy parties a few miles out of Had Rin and well worth a look.

I've been to Had Rin 4 times over the last 10 years and last time I vowed never to go again - I know things are "never as good as it used to be" - but the over development has stripped whatever was left of Had Rins charm... there are lots of nice chilled beaches on the Island though ( I spent a very pleasant week at Tong Nai Pan) - so make sure you get out of Had Rin!

4. Skenkl

Skenkl Member

Threads:
    Hey!!

I just got back from thailand this summer, was there for 2.5 months with a little of that time spent in Cambodia, and it was amazing second time I've been over there now.

Anyway...

I have to say I went to Ko Phangan for about a month in total, and totally hated Had Rin couldn't stand the place, only ended up going there for the full moon!! Go to the full moon its an experience but don't expect too much, the best time is in the morning when the psy-trance rig at the far left of the beach bangs it out till the afternoon and all the annoying piss heads have crashed out!!

I'd say to stay on Had Yaun which is the next beach along from Had Rin, just go down to Had Rin beach and you'll find boats to take u round for next to nothing, I'd advise getting there early as its quite a small beach and accomodation can get full quickly!! Big Blue, or bamboo resorts are the places to go well nice peps and cheap rooms, or theres Had Yuan bungalows 100 Baht a night but we are talking bare essentials i.e four walls and a hose pipe for a shower, but the atmosphere there is cool can't miss it by all the UV paint everywhere, and its where most of the hardcore travellers stay.

The halfmoon partys are wicked, in the jungle(well sort of) psy-trance all night till about 2pm, good atmosphere and decor, phat sound system. Black moon is pretty good too I've heard but never been to one myself!! Also Thong No Pan Noi(spelling) is really good beach a real change from Had Rin, really clean a proper hammock and book type place and really peaceful!!

Other places around thailand Kanchanburi province for the waterfalls, its about 3hrs north west of Bangkok, Chang Mai in the north for jungle treks, Pai for a chilled out village adventure, oh and Ko Samui got a lot of bad press but I stayed at a place called New Hut on Lamei beach really chilled out cheap accommodation and Samui is really good for getting a moped and trekking around by yourself, but its up to u!! Its an amazing country the peps are wicked, you'll have a good time what ever..

Anyway hope that helps

:Grin:

5. Skenkl

Skenkl Member

Threads:
    Also from Had Yuan if walk round the cliffs to Hat Tien theres a place called Guy's bar, have party every thurs, fri, sat, they bang out the tunes till the morning, think sat is psy night!! Nice people and a good crowd go down there!!

You can also get hold of party essentials down there and its well nice stuff, but watch out fo r the shroomy shakes, had one to myself one night and it went a bit wonky tonk to say the least, they were strong as :Smile3:

6. Pricey

Pricey Ontologist

Threads:
    Wow, thanks for all the advice folks - that's really given me a bit to look forward to!
    Had Yuan sounds cracking... I was looking to find where the 'real' psy could be found and it sounds like that's the ticket.

Obviously I'll just try to take in as many of the suggestions as possible, but I can see Had Yuan as being a good starting place :Smile3:

I'll have to get some photos loaded up on my return. :sun:

Bring it on!!!

7. turkeyphant

turkeyphant http://turkeyphant.org/

Threads:
    woot!

So: it appears that I too am off to Thailand at the end of the week. However, I ought to mention that the only reason I get to go there is under the guise of a "family holiday" and that I only get just over a week out there.

Currently I plan to spend a couple of nights in Bangkok then ditch my parents and head up to Chiang Mai to go trekking somewhere exciting. I realise that nowadays there's little chance of really losing the tourist trail, but I'll try me best...

Anyway, I realise this will result in me being massively rushed but I will try my very best to get down to the south sometime too. I've done a little research and I think that if I get there at the right times I might be able to catch some all-night psy. A mate passed through Thailand during his gap year for a month or so and said he found incredibly chilled bars and 'shroom munching, bong-hitting fishermen slightly hidden away from the boozy backpackers and honeymooning couples.

As I see it, Bangkok and trekking in the north is a big priority but I'll kick myself if I've been all the way over to Thailand and missed a banging full-moon party. The Black Moon and Half Moon thingies sound rather ace. Of course the trusty guide book my mother got out of the library says that getting 'ruggies from the locals is a big no-no (think undercover pigs and 50,000 baht bail) but do any of you guys have any experience scoring out there? I can't imagine any problems with mushies or weed but is there anything I should steer clear of? Any advice at all?

Anyway, Pricey, if I managed to find time to get to any Thai parties I'll let you know what I discover. Right now I'm just looking forward to getting out there (although I'm kicking myself it's for such a short time). If I like the place, I'll save up for the rest of my life and head back in a few years to spend lots of months exploring South East Asia.

8. Brainticket

Brainticket Junior Members

Threads:
    I was over in Phang Ngan this summer myself, stayed 2 weeks on haad rin sunset side, which is best if you want a bit of activity at night and serenity as well (this trip was not the longterm Siva Jaya mental retreat, cuz i would not have stayed in Haad Rin in that case!]
    The half moon party i went to was banging, despite the fact that i slept nicely that night (blame girl, not me) and got there at 10am. it was proper good besides the rather odd entry fee [for the night, not when i got there] of 100 baht, but that isnt much anyway.... As long as you dont mind Israelis [slagging them off is great fun also!], youll like the psy parties round there. pills are damn pricey [didnt take any myself], expect to pay around £10 [good stuff though i heard]. mushie shakes about 400 baht, ripoff but its their bloody country and youre the one fucked up on drugs so i guess you cant really complain. CDs are cheap for their copies, not much psy surprisingly but with 1000000 backpackers saturating the island with crap, cant be too expecting.

:!: POLICE!!! to the guy thinking that weed and mushrooms were safe, let me say NO. when i was there, 3 israelis were hauled off to jail for having a teeny bit of hash BETWEEN them. 1000$ bail and 3 months detention apparently ensued. if you still want to go ahead:
    1. DON'T buy on the night, lots of plainclothes cops
    2. buy from a druggy looking dude [preferably who hangs out a lot, the one i know has an eyebrow piercing, hows that for advertisement!]
    3. try to limit yourself to mushie shakes where the evidence is consumed on the spot and the bar has probably paid off cops in order to sell them on premises [they taste like shit btw].
    4. be very very careful with class A, thailand has a big drug problem and they dont take kindly to westerners running around hopped off their faces.
    5. if you really want to do pills, try it at the more oldskool psy parties, not the mainstream areas as lots of cops operate there, especially on full moon.

any more questions feel free to message me, i personally loved phang ngan but that was with good friends. if you dont go there with mates definitely dont go to the touristy backpacker places, they are all prats in there and not worth your independent mind! :tongue1:

9. Stix

Stix Guest

hope you guys haven't been caught up in the tsunami.. :?

drugs in any country are illegal.. I think it's ignorant to even think you can get away with it in a foreign country..

Don't ever be tempted to take any thing in or out of Thailand.. the police are only too happy to sling you into the Bangkok Hilton - and throw away the key..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/this_world/3899549.stm

10. fil

fil SpaceBastard

Threads:

11. Pricey

Pricey Ontologist

Threads:
    No I'm only heading out there on 5th Feb - and turkeyphant has gone north into the mainland by the sounds of things... so thankfully we're safe (so far).

I'm going to try to break up my heavy beach-scuba-psy-beach routine by joining in with the aid effort out on the west coast if I can find somewhere that is recruiting for this.

If anyone reads this post and knows how to get involved in this then please PM me - otherwise I'll just trawl the net and see which agencies are involved. Money saved on pills, etc out there (as that sounds like a no no) will be far better used to help some of these folk out on the west coast. :Sad:

12. turkeyphant

turkeyphant http://turkeyphant.org/

Threads:
    Thank you for making a good point - I think I got carried away with myself and now realise that I sounded like a bit of a tit.

As for the tsunami, thankfully I was miles away from the affected areas. We were already on a flight back to the UK by the time news of the tsunamis was filtering through, so I didn't really find out how people were actually affected nor hear about possibilities to help like getting aid over or donating blood. :no:

It doesn't really seem fair that I can just jet off back to the comfort and safety of Western Europe while people over there are orphaned and homeless but gah :? I'm just really glad to see normal people pulling together and the excellent charitable efforts party organisers are making worldwide.

13. Lam

Lam Guest

Just got back having spent Christmas and New Year on Ko Pha Gnan. The party scene is really good at the moment with most continuing till noon the next day.

By far the best are the Halfmoon parties, the venue is awesome (will try and post some pics of it soon) also worth checking out are the Blackmoon parties on the beach at Ban Tai.

Unless you go in Zoom or Vinyl Club I would avoid the Full Moon party. I was at Zoom on the Boxing Day full moon which was good but if you went out to dance on the beach, you could hear at least 2 other systems. There is quite a bit of bad attitude and fights are common due to the amount of alcohol consumed.

As others have said, there is much more to Pha Gnan than Had Rin.

Have a great time :sun:

14. ducky

ducky **quackers**

Threads:
    oh er...im in thailand now!! on koh chang at the moment, theres a fullmoon party tonight- but we can only find sexy dirty house (??!) ones so far....really in need of a psy trance one...grrrrrrrrrr....can anyone help??

15. ducky

ducky **quackers**

Threads:
    by the way the full moon party in feb is on the 23rd not 24th....
    just thought id let ya know. we'll be heading over to ko pha gnan for then too....yeeeheee.. :P

16. Skenkl

Skenkl Member

Threads:
    Check out the half moon parties, they are phat and psy all night and day

http://www.halfmoonfestival.com

thats the website they should have the dates on there, they are on ko Phangan near ban thai!!

Also the paradise waterfall parties are suppose to be good, but i've never been to one

:Smile3:

17. psinology

psinology Senior Member

Threads:
  18. littlefish

littlefish Banned

Threads:
  19. littlefish

littlefish Banned

Threads:
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice