That stretch rubber sound?

Therapeutic Indecks

Junior Members
Reaction score
How do you make it? It sounds like the shrooms attacking with their shrooming gun. But how do you make the sound? Somebody told me "That's easy mate, just use a "High pass filter" That didn't work how I'd have wished. I can do all the other cool phasing wheeowwwwrrrr kinda stuff but if I could make it sound rubbery that would be great.

Anyone?

M

makdaddy

got an example ? any tune in particulars you heard this in ?

P

paranoidandroid

try of the 1st beat bizzre album, don't knw the track name but it's definitly there :iyes:

Fromem_Ory

Shantidisestablishment
Reaction score
your description is as vague as it is unhelpful. if i know what u mean though (example might be the sort of sounds in the intro of Cosmosis's 'Doors of Perception'?) try heavy (24 semitone range at least, more if possible) pitch bending and filtering. also flanging and phasing can help with these things.

BeatNik

DJohn Mustard Project
Reaction score
Yaa... Colin is the man to listen to :iyes:

The latest squelch patch i crafted... was this:
Sawtooth wave... keytrig LFO pitch bend downwards,
Using Same LFO to affect a bandpass filter in the opposite direction - moving from low-mid to high (with quite alot of resonance, but also with about half env setting - immediate attack and about 3/4 sustain so the original sound also pokes through)...
plop on some phasing, get the sound sounding wider... also some unison/detune for that 'toneless' feel...
This sound then is highpassed to just poke up above the bassline, so it sounds really rich.
Lowpass too (but not too much) so that there isn't too much of the 15k upward sounds... and you should get a really nice rubbery.. pwiiiaaooow sound :Smile3:

(if you want add a bitcrusher on top for an even more formanty vocal sounding effect - watch the highs though if you're using (in cubase) settings I or III - settings II and IV though sound too lifeless for my liking on these kinds of sounds though - as often it can lead to some high harmonics which i'm not a big fan of)

Hope i'm describing the right sound ... :p

Therapeutic Indecks

Junior Members
Reaction score
BeatNik said:

Using Same LFO to affect a bandpass filter in the opposite direction - moving from low-mid to high (with quite alot of resonance, but also with about half env setting - immediate attack and about 3/4 sustain so the original sound also pokes through)...
plop on some phasing, get the sound sounding wider... also some unison/detune for that 'toneless' feel...
This sound then is highpassed to just poke up above the bassline, so it sounds really rich.
Lowpass too (but not too much) so that there isn't too much of the 15k upward sounds... and you should get a really nice rubbery.. pwiiiaaooow sound :Smile3:

(if you want add a bitcrusher on top for an even more formanty vocal sounding effect - watch the highs though if you're using (in cubase) settings I or III - settings II and IV though sound too lifeless for my liking on these kinds of sounds though - as often it can lead to some high harmonics which i'm not a big fan of)

Now that's what I'm talking about!!!!!! :Smile3:

Missing-Link

looking forward
Reaction score
BeatNik said:

hi all i tried this but i am still a little confused... the results were ok but i tried doing it on the albino synth...

i wonderd if i could trouble you lot with some questions...

1. can i do this on my JP8000 or supernova... i cant seem to find how to key trigger the LFO on them? or the albino for that matter... maybe some suggestions on what synth to use...it seems that some synths do different bits but not all of them :Sad: (cant seem to assign the lfo to all the things)

2. what do you suggest i do to give these noises differen legths...i have tried the note legth and the decay and release...but i want the sound to go (this should be fun)

whaaaouu...........wha........wha....... hwah ............wha wha wha.......whoooaaa
long wiine ...........sort ........sort .......shortish......... realshort x3.........long

hope that makes sence :Smile3:

M

makdaddy

Missing-Link said:
what do you suggest i do to give these noises differen legths...i have tried the note legth and the decay and release...but i want the sound to go (this should be fun)

whaaaouu...........wha........wha....... hwah ............wha wha wha.......whoooaaa
long wiine ...........sort ........sort .......shortish......... realshort x3.........long

hope that makes sence :Smile3:
LOL.. thats great ! hehe perhaps you could have one long sound that goes

whaaaaoooouuuuuuaaaaawwwhahhooooooowhwhahahwwowoooooaaaaa

and make the rhythm and note lengths up by using a gate over you sound that is being triggered by another source playing your pattern
Missing-Link said:
a possibility ?

M

makdaddy

although after reading it back this may not be what your after as i notice all your parts start with "wh"

i take this to be the begining of the envelope for the sound and as it will not be re-triggered with each note you wont get the effect of an envelope starting each time when using the gate

M

makdaddy

Missing-Link said:
got any ideas on hot to link the lfo to keytrk lol :Smile3:
nah, i gave up writing tunes 5 months ago and that kind of info is no longer fresh to memory

soz.

sure it wont be long before someone pipes up and advises of a synth with that function tho

Good luck!1

jamez_23

Blah
Reaction score
makdaddy said:
nah, i gave up writing tunes 5 months ago and that kind of info is no longer fresh to memory
*cough* saturday *cough*

And anyway, mak, you were writing tunes at mine the other night - or was that an apparition? :ismile: