The Feedback Thread

One thing I am noticing is the lack of synths with melodic themes, its all effects, the bass is great but the overall theme is boring. Saying that the tracks are not bad, especially in an enviroment during a live set but theres no nuance to it for home listeners.

Looking for some feedback please. The "crowd sample" definitely needs to go I know, but to be honest I'm feeling a bit negative about my skills and struggling to finish anything at the moment and just wanted to throw one of my million "starters" up to get some opinions.

Would be pretty good to collaborate, if anyone else is in London and into Astrix-style fullon? I've been doing this for a while and pretty stuck in a rut I think...so would be good to work with someone else, to bounce ideas and generally mix it up a bit. My mates all hate psy pretty much :/

Not "classical" Psytrance, but similar:

Guess I should give some feedback if I'm asking for others'.

Perhaps you were going for something lighter, but this track still feels like it's missing a bassline layer to me. (with less melody and more consistency through the track) Something to tie it together, because currently it feels like it needs a little glue if you know what I mean.

Since it's quiet here I'll just post another track I started last night....After listening to a few from other people, and getting a little bit re-charged.

It is already a bit more finessed than the first one I posted, though still just a starting point. I'm sure someone will be around at some point :Smile3:

Mostly standard VSTs like Sylenth, Serum etc so far. Will fire up my peak later and try and sort out the pad/intro "situation". I may have already over processed my TB303 sound so....hmmm. What to do first?

hey guys not been on here for a while so just to start hi everyone. Ive made a couple new tracks that I have not posted hope you like them.

Had problems referencing this track as I could not find a pro track like it. I just ref my last track which was hard as it was a different key and feel but you know what they say? your only as good as your last track and here is the track below

I do feel that it sounds flat in mono and if its worth me spending time mixing in mono or just move on. let us know what you think

Night fullon vs psychedelic, please let me know what you guys think :Smile3: thanks

nice amount of punch and click in the baseline. But I don't really like the bass as it cuts the rhythm too much but thats just my opinion as I have never really liked the Neelix (mid 2k style if I can call it that) as im an old school dancing guy and I dance to the constant driving bass line and cuts in the bass stops my rhythm. I like the perc as it stands out nicely and the leads are good and fat Good job dude

Looking for some feedback please. The "crowd sample" definitely needs to go I know, but to be honest I'm feeling a bit negative about my skills and struggling to finish anything at the moment and just wanted to throw one of my million "starters" up to get some opinions.

Would be pretty good to collaborate, if anyone else is in London and into Astrix-style fullon? I've been doing this for a while and pretty stuck in a rut I think...so would be good to work with someone else, to bounce ideas and generally mix it up a bit. My mates all hate psy pretty much :/

Don't worry I had artist doubt its a perfectionist problem we all have. An artist never like his own work. Your doing great keep going and try and listen to your work a few weeks later after so you have forgotten the lil bits you know or don't like are there then the song will sound completely different. You will listen to the track as a track instead of listening to the so called mistakes. You are currently analysing the sounds and forgetting to listen to the story. The music is the most important bit mixing and production is second in the list. If you cannot finish a track try a new track and always try new things and you will have a happy accident and will think thats cool thats just what I need for my other track. I used to have 2 or 3 projects I bounced between when I hit a wall but thankfully I'm past hitting walls after 3 years and can finish tracks without bouncing between projects. When I think my track is done I then go listen to a pro track then my track then pro track and pro, pro then mine then pro etc and see how i react to my tracks. Do I still dance or do I stop dancing and skip to the next pro (the idea is to not notice yours has come on in a funny way as you know its your of course but think of a Dj set does your fit in). And I bet you find you like your tracks more or will find something missing and if you do figure out what it is thats missing. if there is sounds you don't like don't just delete it try and turn down, side chain or gate it to get it to fit. side chaining is your friend and of course it does not have to be just the kick you can side chain. I often side chain entire groups to another group ie all my ambient sounds which I put into one group and have a side chain to my kick and another to my lead group.
Namaste dude :Good:

Hey guys is there any Goa heads out there? I have started a Goa track and Ive never made Goa before so would like some feedback. The track is far from complete and im using the tune for my youtube channel and a teaching project as its good for me and others.

Don't worry I had artist doubt its a perfectionist problem we all have. An artist never like his own work. Your doing great keep going and try and listen to your work a few weeks later after so you have forgotten the lil bits you know or don't like are there then the song will sound completely different. You will listen to the track as a track instead of listening to the so called mistakes. You are currently analysing the sounds and forgetting to listen to the story. The music is the most important bit mixing and production is second in the list. If you cannot finish a track try a new track and always try new things and you will have a happy accident and will think thats cool thats just what I need for my other track. I used to have 2 or 3 projects I bounced between when I hit a wall but thankfully I'm past hitting walls after 3 years and can finish tracks without bouncing between projects. When I think my track is done I then go listen to a pro track then my track then pro track and pro, pro then mine then pro etc and see how i react to my tracks. Do I still dance or do I stop dancing and skip to the next pro (the idea is to not notice yours has come on in a funny way as you know its your of course but think of a Dj set does your fit in). And I bet you find you like your tracks more or will find something missing and if you do figure out what it is thats missing. if there is sounds you don't like don't just delete it try and turn down, side chain or gate it to get it to fit. side chaining is your friend and of course it does not have to be just the kick you can side chain. I often side chain entire groups to another group ie all my ambient sounds which I put into one group and have a side chain to my kick and another to my lead group.
Namaste dude :Good:

Thanks Yhoda. Wise words indeed, do you speak :Smile3:

I guess I do see improvement in my tracks over the years, but it is damn slow progress. Part of it is a time thing. When I'm working I rarely have much time to write, mainly because whenever I start I tend to end up staying up until 3am and being knackered the next day! I had a few months off at the start of the year, and that has definitely helped a fair bit I think. I've been back at work the past few weeks though unfortunately.

I will probably post more of my latest at some point, one of the more recent ones has the best intro I've done for a while, but the rest of that track is still a bit unfocused and not really up to scratch yet. I'll try not to post such unfinished tracks next time...I need to just finish one for once!

I had a listen to your tracks. All of them are good, and have plenty of really interesting psychedelic groove going on. My tastes are a little more towards the melodic stuff, so I'm definitely a fan of goa trance (I was there myself in 2000, in Anjuna) and have played some in a set before. I'm not sure if you are aiming for the exact "classic" goa sound, but one thing about old trance is that the bass tended to be a lot less heavy than modern trance. I ended up making my own remix version of Trancemission a few years ago to add in some sub (and click too I think) so that it sat better with the other tracks in my set. For me personally I'd beef up the kick and the bass on yours a touch too.

Cheers again!

Thanks Yhoda. Wise words indeed, do you speak :Smile3:

I guess I do see improvement in my tracks over the years, but it is damn slow progress. Part of it is a time thing. When I'm working I rarely have much time to write, mainly because whenever I start I tend to end up staying up until 3am and being knackered the next day! I had a few months off at the start of the year, and that has definitely helped a fair bit I think. I've been back at work the past few weeks though unfortunately.

I will probably post more of my latest at some point, one of the more recent ones has the best intro I've done for a while, but the rest of that track is still a bit unfocused and not really up to scratch yet. I'll try not to post such unfinished tracks next time...I need to just finish one for once!

I had a listen to your tracks. All of them are good, and have plenty of really interesting psychedelic groove going on. My tastes are a little more towards the melodic stuff, so I'm definitely a fan of goa trance (I was there myself in 2000, in Anjuna) and have played some in a set before. I'm not sure if you are aiming for the exact "classic" goa sound, but one thing about old trance is that the bass tended to be a lot less heavy than modern trance. I ended up making my own remix version of Trancemission a few years ago to add in some sub (and click too I think) so that it sat better with the other tracks in my set. For me personally I'd beef up the kick and the bass on yours a touch too.

Cheers again!
Thanks man. I am enjoying making this Goa track and I think its my calling and I will pursue Goa as another project. Ive made some nice progress and doing YouTube vids every step of the song (posted 2 more since) is really teaching me a lot as I have to just go with it and try and look like I know what I'm doing and it's getting my confidence up and I honestly think its improving my work flow and trusting my choices as I'm doing it as quickly as I can due to the teaching.

I do prefer the newer Goa stuff and I am going to do a mix down on my low end so I will see how I can make the kick and bass shine. This is a completely new way for me as the style is different. The hard bit for me for me now is what the hell is my second alias going to be? naming stuff is so bloody hard without making it sound cheesy.

I look forward to hearing more of your tracks Dude you already have good groove man and it seems natural to you from what I have heard so far. My skill comes from 10+ years of listening to psytrance the sound design was the hardest bit for me. I also wanted to do morning fullon but just didn't understand the music theory and struggled but 3 years down the line I'm super happy with where I am at. You will do great and one advice (if you can at work) I'd give is get caustic 3 for your mobile. I got it to practice arrangement and ended up realising 5 songs with it. Its very limiting which is the best bit so it forces you to really push the envelopes to get it sounding psy with little filters and thats the reason I have minimal plugins so I can get the sound I want fast as I know my gear inside out

Thanks man. I am enjoying making this Goa track and I think its my calling and I will pursue Goa as another project. Ive made some nice progress and doing YouTube vids every step of the song (posted 2 more since) is really teaching me a lot as I have to just go with it and try and look like I know what I'm doing and it's getting my confidence up and I honestly think its improving my work flow and trusting my choices as I'm doing it as quickly as I can due to the teaching.

I do prefer the newer Goa stuff and I am going to do a mix down on my low end so I will see how I can make the kick and bass shine. This is a completely new way for me as the style is different. The hard bit for me for me now is what the hell is my second alias going to be? naming stuff is so bloody hard without making it sound cheesy.

I look forward to hearing more of your tracks Dude you already have good groove man and it seems natural to you from what I have heard so far. My skill comes from 10+ years of listening to psytrance the sound design was the hardest bit for me. I also wanted to do morning fullon but just didn't understand the music theory and struggled but 3 years down the line I'm super happy with where I am at. You will do great and one advice (if you can at work) I'd give is get caustic 3 for your mobile. I got it to practice arrangement and ended up realising 5 songs with it. Its very limiting which is the best bit so it forces you to really push the envelopes to get it sounding psy with little filters and thats the reason I have minimal plugins so I can get the sound I want fast as I know my gear inside out

Simplify! That is definitely good advice mate. Whenever I hit a wall I tend to splurge on new gear, but it has often been counterproductive as I then have to learn how to use dozens of new features properly. I bought a Peak recently, which sounds great, but is an unnecessary distraction if anything. Cutting down on options is always better creatively.

Nice to have shiny new toys though :Smile3:

My best buy recently was actually just a humble gater VST. If you haven't got it then GateKeeper by Infected Mushroom is worth buying for the hundred-odd presets alone. They are just outstanding...I can't say enough positive about them. Really inspiring. And perfect for goa trance...among other things. Caustic looks very interesting. I'm obviously a bit behind the curve with what you can do on-the-go these days!!

I'm going to work on a track today and might post it later if it goes well. We should try and keep this thread lively...!!

Last edited:
And here is the final sketch of my first Goa track. Its called 'Concept' It has been halved mixed so will need a final mix down and then mastered. I still need to get a smash in there somewhere. Hope you enjoy guys.

Guess I should give some feedback if I'm asking for others'.

Perhaps you were going for something lighter, but this track still feels like it's missing a bassline layer to me. (with less melody and more consistency through the track) Something to tie it together, because currently it feels like it needs a little glue if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the feedback. Not sure about more bass, it seems pretty pronounced as it is - though it's the more melodic kind instead of "background support". I'll keep this in mind.

Here is a new one, similar in style and which I like more:

Thanks for the feedback. Not sure about more bass, it seems pretty pronounced as it is - though it's the more melodic kind instead of "background support". I'll keep this in mind.

Here is a new one, similar in style and which I like more:

Ok, I can see you've got the same sound dialled in, so that's clearly your sound.

It may also be that I just massively over-cook the bass on all my tracks...here are another 2 I never got around to finishing, but both have bass levels that are pretty standard for all my stuff. That's part of why I came on here for feedback, to see if the basics were right. I've never had a chance to test any of my stuff on a big rig, and I'm going for that festival trance vibe.

Back