The heavy music thread: punk, metal,stoner et etc

New and new-to-me stuff, part 1.

It seems I had not yet discovered doomgazey Lantlôs when I last visited and don't see them mentioned since, so here goes. Beautiful record, this.

Another glaring oversight was Lowrider - shame on me. I really liked their first album, Ode to Io, but they were barely seen or heard from again. Two decades later, I caught sight of a new record in the Bandcamp recs linked to my next nomination and did a double-take. Wot, that Lowrider? OMFG etc. Added bonus: I ordered the expanded rerelease of Io at the same time, the original being another one of those hard copies you'd have to sell yer granny for until now (I did not discover them until the early-mid 2000s). P&P via Blues Funeral was much cheaper than Bandcamp if anyone else is interested. My bank balance still hated me for it, but after all these years, LALALA I'm fkn listening LALALA! I just live for the drop @9m50s in the closing track, urghhh! So good.

Which brings me nicely onto inadvertent Lowrider enablers, Spotlights. My only complaint about their new EP is that favourite track Part II is also the shortest, but maaan, what a corker! :badger:

On a totally different note, bleak noisedrones courtesy of Widow's Weeds. Grief Police is an on-going project, so if you like this, keep an eye out for updates from time-to-time.

And there's a good range of stuff on these NYP comps from 2019 by Desert Records. Again, I'd have bought hard copies if not for the insane P&P charges from 'Murica, but hey ho. They sent me off on a few interesting tangents, so job's a good 'un.

New and new-to-me stuff, part II.

Three recs and a classic band up next, the first from TJ. Admittedly, I was late to the party with All Them Witches, so have spent the past eight months gushing my way through their back catalogue after he shared their second KEXP appearance over which I obsessed for weeks. Still do, especially Diamond and Milk and Endless Waters. If you haven't heard it already, get on it asap, because holy shit... *swoon* They could just as easily fit in a psych thread as stoner or heavy blues, which is partly why I love them. In fact, if I could write a list of favourite things I enjoy about all three, ATW pretty much have it covered, often in the same track. Here's a standalone I really like and consider this a head's up for the new album in September, whoop!

Pretty sure I'd heard some Earth before Rykanslope sent me this last year, but it has since become a late night favourite. Proper mong-out music.

DSE this time. I'm only just getting round Windhand, but really liking some of their tunes so far.

And in closing, I feel I should mention Tool's latest, because although it sounds as though it could have been recorded at any point in their career and was probably a track too long, I enjoyed it much more than expected after all this time. This and Pneuma are probably my favourites.

There's more where that came from - I've had two mega binges on heavy this year so far - but will leave it here for now and probably just post the others next time they end up on the playlist. These are merely highlights to catch up a little.

Oooh yeah, I like that very much. Their drummer is the tits! Also, is it just me or do they remind you a bit of a gnarlier, vocal Animals as Leaders? During those really tight rhythmical passages with almost proggy guitar harmonies, that's who kept springing to mind.

The drummer is nuts yeah, a substitute of the old one, actually.
When they started they were taken under Isis wing, taking them on tour etc, and I'd place them somewhere in a proggy slot between them and Mastodon at this point.
I guess they have some of that "desert sound" that I usually don't really associate with AsL

The first album was way heavier, and the Isis influence was in full display:

Last edited:
I can kinda see where you're coming from with Mastodon, yeah. Have migrated to something else now, but will leave it on my desktop for tomorrow, thanks. Isis, tho... I might have to dig out Panopticon tomorrow as well - it's been a while. Consider In Fiction reposted. :Wub:

Have got into a few heavy bands recently from my step daughter , my favourite probably Northlane who have just released the deluxe instrument versions from Alien which is a belter. Also Thornhill and WageWar who we managed to see in January before lockdown. Here's a few youtube clips :

Oh Yeah botanist nice one, a friend gave me a heads up but never actually sat and listened to them.
Neurosis, I rather enjoyed the album that song is taken from, even if now they seem to be settled on a formula a bit... My favourite still remains Through Silver Blood, of the later stuff, probably The Eye of Every Storm.

Back