The James Webb space telescope

Full Lotus

Hob Nob King
Staff member
Reaction score
Oooh, interesting. Thanks for the heads up Mr. H.

NabLa

Spaniard DeLuxe
Reaction score
Very excited about the James Webb. Not only is it orders of magnitude more sensitive than Hubble, but it's also an infrared telescope - a lot of these pesky dust clouds that obscure visible light coming from inside or behind are transparent to infrared.

Let's hope it's right first time though - James Webb orbits the sun directly, not us. It can't get "glasses" like the Hubble did after its launch fiasco.

HarryJonesJr

Forum Member
Reaction score
On the one hand, it admires me as a scientific achievement, and on the other hand, it does not contain any practical benefit for me and my children. Maybe my grandchildren will learn something real about other worlds, but I do not expect to find this during my life.

MrHammy

There's ham in my fridge!
Reaction score
On the one hand, it admires me as a scientific achievement, and on the other hand, it does not contain any practical benefit for me and my children. Maybe my grandchildren will learn something real about other worlds, but I do not expect to find this during my life.
Well then I'm happy for your Grandchildren

NabLa

Spaniard DeLuxe
Reaction score
Actually, we're learning a lot of real stuff about exoplanets. Sizes, orbits, atmosphere compositions, relative abundance of planet types, etc. There's a real chance we could find one some day with tell-tale signs of biology in the atmosphere during our lifetime. James Webb is not a planet finder instrument though, but it might be useful as a targeted tool to find out more about a good candidate. Who knows what it's possible with it.

HarryJonesJr

Forum Member
Reaction score
There's a real chance we could find one some day with tell-tale signs of biology in the atmosphere during our lifetime.
Oh! I would like to see it)) A new planet for those people who do not know how to live in harmony with their own. Sorry, apparently this really looks quite cynical from the outside but humanity has killed its faith in him for me personally.

NabLa

Spaniard DeLuxe
Reaction score
Who knows what sort of alien biology is out there and how toxic or otherwise it'd be to us. If we put aside the small matter of interstellar travel. One possible (?) avenue to reach the stars: