The James Webb space telescope

They recon we will get the first pictures around June... hopefully on the 29th (my b/d). Will be cool to see other ET's

Telescope arrived

First image

Yes it is the same star. The light from the star hits each of the 18 mirrors and is reflected on the camera that looks at them. We see 18 different pictures of the star from a tiny different angle . They will be aligned to send the light at the center of the camera creating one "3D" picture . These tiny different angles will probably help the computers "understand" the depth and simulate the 3d model. It really needs unbelievable precision (probably movements of nm or μm and 0.00...01 angles) but I think it is much easier today than back then. I am positive they will make it

"NASA said it plans to release several images beginning at 10:30 am ET (14:30 UTC) on July 12, the result of Webb's "first light" observations. On Wednesday, space agency officials said the images and other data would include the deepest-field image of the universe ever taken—looking further into the cosmos than humans ever have before—as well as the spectrum of an atmosphere around an exoplanet. By looking in the infrared, Webb will be able to identify the fingerprints of small molecules, such as carbon dioxide and ozone, that will offer meaningful clues about the habitability of worlds around other stars.

NASA's deputy administrator, Pam Melroy, said she was blown away by the images Webb has produced so far. "What I have seen moved me, as a scientist, as an engineer, and as a human being," she said."

Sounds interesting

Link to the first pics

I wonder on those pictures where they get the colours from. An infrared image obviously has no colours we can see.

Edit: https://slate.com/technology/2022/07/james-webb-space-telescope-photos-colors-infrared.html

To make the images circulating now, Shapley explained, the JWST used its infrared cameras to collect several “brightness images” in grayscale. Six filters each captured different wavelengths of infrared light. Back on Earth, each filter was assigned a color. The filter capturing the longest wavelength was red; the filter capturing the shortest wavelength was blue, with the other colors in between. By combining these images, the final composite image features all of the colors visible in the photos circulating now.

Back