The new drian pipe tune

psyfi

Pie Fly
Reaction score
Right I've put my new kit to good use and written this tune. I't also the first tune I've written exlcusivly in Live 5 and also the first tune I've written though a drian pipe.:irolleyes I'ts called Drianged piper and can be found at the top of my music page. Please have a listen and let me know what you make of it. Cheers psy-forum folk:ibiggrin:

http://www.psyfi.co.uk/music.htm

M

makdaddy

ahhh the 1st pipe of the day :silly:...whoooaaaa!!! what did u pack the pipe with ???

only managed to listen on my lappy speakers for now but it was sounding nice, particularly like the 1/8th Arpy "ferry corsten" type euro lead but did think it was going to go a bit further.

its too early to blatt the neighbours out of bed so will have a listen again later.

my verdict so far : reload and take another hit hhmmmmm cough cough cough !! :green:

psyfi

Pie Fly
Reaction score
Gooood morning chaps and thanks for listening to my tune.:ibiggrin:
When I say I wrote it through a drian pipe what I mean is that I got a big old bit of plastic drian pipe about three meters long and 4odd inches in diamiter that I had lying arouns and placed one end next to one of my monitors with a mic set up at the other end. Then I played lead parts and drum parts through the monitor from the fold back on my mixer and rocorded and played around with the results. i also did the same with an old tin watering can. The watering can results can be heard on the bongos. It's kind of like recording the ambiance of a room. everything in intro except the kick and bass are recordings from the drain pipe. hmmmm maybe I should get out more?

jibberer

Jibbering Wreck
Reaction score
That's a pretty cool tune! Did wierd things to my head. I don't think you should get out more often, I think you should stay in more and write more tunes with your drainpipe.:ismile:

psyfi

Pie Fly
Reaction score
Well thats told me hasn't it. So much for day light. Glad you like it Jibberer. just added a bit more sparkle to the high lead. Can't leave thing be can I. Also I sang through the drian pipe hehe. So if you ever wonderd what I sound like now you know.
any coments on the genarly mix quality of the track. I was useing my new Drawmer M500 to compress the bass and would be interested to hear what people think of the outcome.

Firefly

Junior Members
Reaction score
This track is really good, but some of the sounds seem to be lacking high end and just dont sound right to me. Could be the encoding I guess. Other than that, this track is really good. The bass is perfect. Percussion is extremely minimal, the track sounds good as-is, but percussion would give it more energy IMO.

btw, what's a Drian Pipe?

ichabod

Reaction score
A really interesting track. Bass and kick sound tight. I particulalrly like the pitched percussion type thing that comes in at around 3:45 - is that the watering can?

I would personally be tempted to make the hats a bit louder to get a some more high frequencies into the mix

whitedog

Lunar SeeD
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Now, y'see, i'd never have thought of actually using a drain-pipe, to get a drain-pipe effect, i'd just have used the "drain-pipe" setting on the relevant delay plugin...
i guess that's the difference between analogue modelling and real analogue, eh? :Wink3:

i like it!

Did you leave the mic/drain-pipe setup static, or did you move it about at all, while recording?

psyfi

Pie Fly
Reaction score
Didn't move the pipe around to when recording. Not only do I not have much room at the mo but I wouldn't have wanted the drian pipe to slip and damage my monitor. Was trying to think up a way to play sound in to the pipe, record at one end whilest haveing the pipe fill up with and empty of water. Also thorght I could try the watering can in string with water in it so when the water swelled around in side the pitch of the cans resonace would change. So many things to try.

Oh yes and firefly a drain pipe is a big bit of pipe that water drians out of. I think my particular bit of pipe was once part of our sewage system. I have given it a good clean out mind you.

whitedog

Lunar SeeD
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
psyfi said:
So many things to try.
You could make a trombone-slide affair, out of two pieces of pipe that fit one inside the other, then vary the length :Smile3:

psyfi said:
I think my particular bit of pipe was once part of our sewage system. I have given it a good clean out mind you.
Good job you cleaned it, or it might have sounded like shit... (boom tish)

psyfi

Pie Fly
Reaction score
I considerd this but I would have to get hold of another tube that fitted as you say. Still would be interested to hear what effect water would have on it though.
Just dont want to get the mic wet. errrrr not a good idea

psyfi

Pie Fly
Reaction score
ichabod said:
A really interesting track. Bass and kick sound tight. I particulalrly like the pitched percussion type thing that comes in at around 3:45 - is that the watering can?
No thats the drian pipe on those drums. The watering can is used on the bongos just before that. It's a much more subtle effect than the drian pipe. More about captureing the reverb sound of the can. In this case the sound on the left channle is the straight samples and the right channle is the can. It gav the drums much more lower frequncey extention than the original sound by the watering can adding it's own timber to the samps.
The drian pipe is much more of an "effect" that stands out as such.