The old Infected Mushroom debate

Personally, as someone who first got into the "scene" (jesus i hate that word) in the sense of appreciating the music whilst not dosed up on various hallucinogenics, infected mushroom probably helped alot. If i come across someone who says "infected rock" then i say "thats cool, i also know some other stuff you might like" rather than saying "infected mushroom? pffft. i could do better than that with a tin pan and a duster"
I don't listen to infected mushroom, as it happens. I have never even bought an album. I may be guilty of downloading gamma goblins about
1 and 3/4 years ago, before i even joined the forum. Sorreeee :Wink3:

My point being... always look on the bright side of life! I personally worry more about the whole ministry of sound thingy, although part of me hopes that the music is just too mental for people to like...

I'm personally a little confused as to why so many people are like "oh i hate AntiWorld etc etc" because as i see it, i just listen to what i like the sound of, and appreciate being able to listen to it under the stars :wub:

Okay, its clear i am never going to be able to make an actual point here.

Ah well.

I don't diss Infected... i have just moved on to a more specific sound that i like, which alot of you guys probably hate and some of you will love.

Cari

Gamma Goblins - as in the Hallucinogen track? Did IM do a remix I missed?

BTW - I've not heavily slated IM. Just pointed out that they don't do it for me. They sound too *poppy* for my ears.

If people like their material - great.

Also BTW - this came about as a result of someone (in a rather long list of people) requested that we book 'em for Cabbage.

My response was:

a) They're *very* expensive
b) I'm really not a big fan I'm afraid (especially current material)

Purusha said:
Gamma Goblins - as in the Hallucinogen track? Did IM do a remix I missed?

BTW - I've not heavily slated IM. Just pointed out that they don't do it for me. They sound too *poppy* for my ears.

If people like their material - great.

Also BTW - this came about as a result of someone (in a rather long list of people) requested that we book 'em for Cabbage.

My response was:

a) They're *very* expensive
b) I'm really not a big fan I'm afraid (especially current material)

I understand your point of view :Wink3:

Yeah i think they did do a remix.... i'm pretty damn sure.

That or my entire psy-trance period of my life has been based on one mis-named download :P

I can see compared to alot of the psy-music-makers its a bit "straight" but i still can't ever see it being on top of the pops :Wink3:

ANYWAY

One persons cup of tea is another persons cup of piss

:Smile3:

Cari

Actually - I think I might have that remix on 12". Wasn't it a remix by someone like GMS and IM on the other side?

I'm too far from home to be able to double-check atm.

To tell the truth, i really, really wouldnt know.

The only vinyl i own is a copy of the white stripes album.

I bought it on a whim and still have never been able to listen to it due the the lack of vinyl-playing machine.

:Smile3:

u can sum it easy
in a psytrance doof doof sense

old stuff = awesome (but starting to sound a little dated..)

new stuff = kak

but it really is personal taste, i actually really like a couple of tracks off I.M converting vegetarians but the rest of it isnt all that at all :Sad:

i would go to see them live if they didnt play anything after b.p empire, that would be a v.good set like the one i saw at the rex yrs ago...

1st album was amazing imho, 2nd album wasn't too bad either, couldn't really get into the later stuff. They were good live, when I've seen them.

ditto on everything up to bp empire. but i dont hold it against them for moving on, their doing what they want to do, fair play to them.

and im did do a remix of gamma goblins, and i have a feeling it was on the same ep as the gms milloonium rmx

I Prefer The Older Infected Mushroom......i Am The Supervisor Really Don't Do It 4 Me.
Xx

I love 'em. they're awesome live, with the guitars and everything!

i like they're new stuff, IM the Supervisor is much more polished and interesting, and the sounds go more mental.

perhaps i'm not a conniseur of psy-trance... i just like they're music - whatever it is.
They're really talented musicians. don't have much against the lyrics either... bit cheesey some say, but when ur on the dance floor at one of their sets you do find everyone around you is singing along at the top of their voices at each other.... i think thats fun, i like it! - perhaps that makes me a pop fan? funny, i've not listened to the charts in many yrs....

I don't hold it against them for being expensive to hire.... the bottom line is you hire IM for ur party and you sell out! If you were good enough to charge £7000 a night - wouldn't you?

so in conclusion DJ's play more mush - bet you find people will dance their asses off!!

I've three versions on Gamma Goblins on my comp.... one by hallucinogen, one by GMS and one by IM. they are all different, though only slightly!

I will finally admit that I like 'IM The Supervisor'....but I wouldn't classify it as proper Psytrance, the sound is too..well...mainstream. I know hardly anyone will agree with me, but I'd say it makes a good listen ever now and again.

The Gathering, Classical Mushroom and BP Empire were all excellent albums that really helped me get into psy trance. Which makes their more recent stuff all the more painful to listen to - you *know* theyre capable of so much better. Seeing them at Sonica was personally quite shocking - I could not believe quite how poppy they had become. The hard part was you could hear some quality parts of their set that was ruined by the wailing guitar or one of them singing. Bitter, bitter dissapointment - have not bought an album after Converting Vegetarians (which is what kinda broke the camels back) and dont plan to.

Ill make this very easy for everyone..

go to their website and check out the "live" performnace of Cities of the Future for Israeli TOTP.......then come back here and post your thoughts....

DO IT!!!

They live in La now too - kinda says it all really dont you think?

I'm sorry but that much musical talent and they choose to create really shite music = what a terrible waste and its all because of the dollar I'm afraid.

Have to go with popular opinion here I reckon - early stuff great, later stuff not so great. Have been lucky enough to see them do the launch parties for the first 3 albums and, have to say they were some of the best gigs I've been to (and they did it properly live as well) but sadly the few times I've seen them after those first 3/4 times have been less and less good (imo). In fact I can't be arsed with them so much that I even get to turn down guest list to see them at Brixton Academy and the Ally Pally gig

I must be quite unusual as, although I thought they were rubbish at Sonica (but strangely popular with Johnny Foreigner who were all mad-for-it), I've never really liked them - and the only CD I ever bought (Classical Mushroom) I gave away.

As i said on the Cabbage site - the only reason I can think of for their popularity is that its far more common abroad for many psy trance fans to have come straight from liking heavy metal to psy trance and comepletely by-passed the rest of dance music - so a "band" format, especially one with godawful metal guitar soloing -is a very accessible format for those folk...

still.. each to their own...

snafu said:
Have been lucky enough to see them do the launch parties for the first 3 albums and, have to say they were some of the best gigs I've been to (and they did it properly live as well)...

*is immensly jealous*

snafu said:
...but sadly the few times I've seen them after those first 3/4 times have been less and less good (imo).

*is completely unsuprised*

won't stop me going to see them when they play bristol this autumn though, cos i haven't seen them before.

met some swiss (i think) guy on the train to boom last year and he said he'd seen IM live about 8 times and the only time they've been any good recently was when they played for a mate's birthday party and played loads of older tunes... i'd love to see an IM gig where they did that.

the gathering was the first psy trance i ever heard and i was hooked from then on. classical mushroom then provided about 4 or 5 of my favourite psytrance tracks. i have to totally disagree with anyone who doesn't like those 1st two albums, they defined psytrance for me, and they're a damn sight more interesting than well produced squelchy noises, which is about as far as a lot of psytrance gets to be honest. (though i love that too!)

last two albums both a bit suspect though... i bought both and dont regret either (though supervisor is pushing it). also to be honest you cant blame them for selling out and making some money, it sucks but everyone does it :Sad:

Back