Missing-Link

looking forward
Reaction score
i have now a nord rack 2
i was woundering if any one could help with like a quick guide
i know you are gone say read the manual
but i was hoping i could avoid that...
i hate does things
i eventualy end up reading them but i do tend to avoid them....
can any one help ?

A

Andrea

Cool dude, hope u can make it.

Enjoy your new red babe, man:smoke:

Wandering Kid

Junior Members
Reaction score
hate to say it but yea - the manual is your best bet. nord lead is probably one of the easiest, most intuitive synthesizers to program. ever. everything you need to control the sound has a button or a rotary and its right in front of you.

start building simple single oscillator sounds first. then work up.

for example, program a basic 303 type sound. this is easily done on pretty much any synth:

1 oscillator - set to saw wave or square wave. for the sake of simplicity go saw.
on the amp envelope turn everything down to 0 except for the decay. raise amp envelope decay according to preference. on the filter bring the cutoff down quite low but not fully closed. send the resonance rotary way up. open the filter envelope and adjust the decay on the filter envelope section according to preference. set the filter to 2 pole low pass. experiment with band pass filter configs too and adjust the filter cutoff according to preference. play your notes around C4 to C5 kind of range.

thats your basic 303 acid sound. get used to what those parameters do. you'll notice a saw wave kind of sounds gritty/fuzzy. thats the basic fundamental part of most trance type leads. notice how the resonance adds a squealing quality to it. that guitar like tone you often hear in psytrance are typically saw leads with high resonance and lots of distortion.

to fatten up a 303, distort it. overdrive it HARD. you can also artificially beef up the sound using the unison parameter. this basically stacks up more of the synth's polyphony on one note making it bigger, wider and fatter.

the idea is to get used to what each rotary/button does. what effect it has on the sound. the most dramatic effect will ocme from the filter cutoff and resonance. you can literally shape the sound using envelopes. longer decays mean the sound takes longer to fade to nothing. take note of the effect that the other envelope parameters do - attack, sustain and release. you'll start to understand why they are named this way when you start to fiddle.

once you know what each of those parameters does to the sound. start experimenting. notice how you can change this 303 sound into something completely different with just a few parameters. you can set the filter to 4 pole low pass. turn the cutoff right down and resonance right down. set the oscillator to square and unison like crazy. play a note around C2 to C3ish

you have the fundamentals of a clean bendy drum and bass bassline.

after you have fun with single oscillator sounds move onto dual oscillators where you can have 2 running simultaneously and mix em up for different timbres.

for example - a typical hard trance lead consists of loads of simultaneous saw waves, all detuned out and spread in stereo using a low pass filter config and low resonance. typically on the amp envelope theres 0 attack and 0 sustain for both envelopes and decay according to preference. a touch of release to give it this lingering, echoing and ethereal quality. open the filter envelope amount all the way and adjust the filter envelope decay/release according to preference.

set all oscillators to saw. tune them octaves apart. set the amp decay to around 10 o clock and the release to around 1 o clock. on the filter turn the resonance real low so its around 8 o clock. maybe 9 o clock. open the filter cutoff fully. now detune the oscillators. not so much that it soudns like a dying mosquito. just enough so that it adds a harmonic, fuzzy quality to the sound. unison LOADS. now close the filter cutoff. play some notes whilst gradually opening the filter to get that classic hard trance type lead and build.

also note you can change this into an almost completely different instrument - increase the sustain on both envelopes to nearly max it out. increase the attack on both envelopes so they are around 10 to 1 o clock ish. close the filter according to preference and increase the detune a bit. you now have an analogue type string pad as abused in trance. the possibilities are really endless.

then after reading the manual and once you have an intimate knowledge of what each parameter does, move onto the FM and start making some crazy noise or bell like and glassy psy leads.

and good luck. you've got a great synth with one of the best user interfaces ever devised. make the most of it!

you should try programming my access virus b :Wink3: damn i hate having to flick through sub menus. and the modulation routing possibilities on it is just mind boggling.