This is techno

Deleted member 735

In the kitchen, studio or gym.
Reaction score
Bit moodier and deep but really nice set :Smile3:

Nice set!

Continuing with the female theme, whilst we're there!
......Bit of DDL!
(She falls in the "pouty" bracket I mentioned earlier.... But when she stops mucking around with her hair, she kicks ASS!)

Beware the women who, half way through her set....ties her hair up in to "the pineapple" .....
....this forewarns of "bonkers"

floatyhippyflower

Free spirit, lost soul.
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Fair warning, folks. Feminist noises incoming.

She's a proper techno goddess IMO.

None of this standing round, sullen, pouting, with her cleavage* out..... too cool to dance.
(like so many of her female peers) .....
....she gets stuck in!

(And her at home vinyl sets are the perfect counterpoint. Super understated, almost chilled...... with much cat, many wow)

* I remember an interview with her explaining why she always just wears a baggy black teeshirt.
To eliminate any doubt that shes' there because of her DJ skills.
Man..... full respect.
Because men never DJ topless sweating their moobs off, pull pouty bass faces while stroking their beards, too cool to dance...

Sorrynotsorry, but as a woman myself, I find your comments regressive. I mean, don't you think it's actually a bit sad that such a talented woman feels the need to deliberately dress down to be taken seriously? If she gets the job done, who cares if she's standing around looking sullen, pouting with her cleavage out? What does any of that have to do with the tunes? That's pure male gaze crap right there and I find it ironic that you would write those things, then quote her saying that her choice of t-shirts is to remove any doubt about her skills. The implication is that you/people might respect her less as a producer and DJ or get distracted if she wore something more revealing, which is precisely the issue in hand. Would you ever hear a man say that about what he chooses to wear? No, because he would never need to. It's because of gender-based, often sexualised judgements such as yours that women don't always feel comfortable expressing themselves as they wish (I have direct personal experience), often find it difficult to navigate what is still a very male-dominated genre and remain hugely underrepresented in most areas of the business (my friend is a professor, who studies this precise issue). Maybe she's concentrating. Maybe it's bass face. Maybe it's a hot day. If you're enjoying the music, who fucking cares? Oh, sorry. That's right. You do. SIGH

Let me be absolutely clear: women should be able to wear what the fuck they want, express how they want, move how they want (or not!), whether that's in more stereotypically "sexy" clothes or a simple, plain black t-shirt. It's not for you, me or anybody else to sit in judgement about that. Ever.

Deleted member 735

Reaction score
A

As we went down the Awakenings / Amelie Lens / Ida Engberg / DDL / Cercle train of thought...

Here's one to follow on...
(Bit of Charlotte De Witte)
Its not my fave set of hers....
.....But if I was to share one, it would be this, 'cos of the staging and overall vibe.
Looks insane!

floatyhippyflower

Free spirit, lost soul.
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
This message has been reported.
"Noise" was right - (at a minimum)
You're barking up the wrong tree, and if I had time, I'd give you 20 reasons why.
Take your "personal experience" out on someone else.
Ah yes, the standard response of the butthurt man when confronted by a frustrated woman over patronising comments about their preferences. OH WELL! On the contrary, dude, if that’s the best you can do, take your vapid judgements and subsequent stonewalling, and jog on. I ain’t going anywhere and it’s not barking up the wrong tree to directly reference your own words or logging my response to them. If I hit a nerve, it’s because there was one to hit. Line-by-line, more than half of the post I quoted is concerned with the woman's appearance and your respect or lack thereof for those who dress in certain ways. "Like so many of her peers"...I mean, come on, dude. What is this, the fucking fifties?

Gotta say, though, I’m disappointed if not surprised you won’t engage with my criticisms even just a little and assumed you were made of sterner stuff – it’s not like I haven’t stuck up for the sistas countless times before. However, if you can’t get your head round the fact that we are sick to the back teeth of being assessed on how we choose to present rather than the content we create, dismissing my points as a sometime-musician with both cleavage that might be visible and direct experience of judgemental remarks from male musicians about my appearance because you don’t like the message or its manner, that’s your problem, not mine. If you won’t even address my points, it’s more than that, in fact – you are part of the problem.

You don’t get to shush me, Chris, including and especially about the barriers women face in the arts, not now, not ever. I spent most of my education plus a good chunk of my active musical life rubbing up against attitudes of this kind and much, much worse, some of which I have discussed in other threads. You may think it’s not patronising, but such things are on a spectrum and if we allow seemingly innocuous comments about women in t-shirts versus other styles of clothes to pass, then what else are we prepared to lie back, think of England and ignore? Nah, those days are gone, dude, at least for me. You literally just proved her point and that's what I find sad about the whole thing.

This is not just about my experiences, however – you are very much mistaken in the assumption. There’s now emerging research that simply wasn’t available when I was still going, which shows how harmful such attitudes can be, not just on an emotional level, but in very real, very practical ways. It certainly held me back. These things build up, only for years I didn’t realise it was so common and told myself that the reason I struggled with tech was because I was shit at it, not because I was discouraged and afraid to ask for support. I would put a hundred quid on the fact that if I asked any of my lady friends if they have been privy to similar, they would all have similar stories. Indeed, I know they do.

Now I’m older, wiser and gobbier, with the benefit of a broader cultural context in which to place those memories, I will continue to call out this shit for as long as I’m breathing, if only for the sake of others who may not feel strong enough to voice their objections to slut-shaming stereotypes just yet. Once upon a time, that was me, but I’m not trying to forge a career in the business any longer where to speak up risked further exclusion and don't give a tuppeny toss what anybody thinks. Doesn’t mean I’m not still outraged and if that gets some blokes’ backs up? Well, tough titties, preferably in a loose, sleeveless scoop-neck with airy cleavage (because I sweat like a mofo when dancing and have a sensitive suprasternal notch, thank you very much).

Next up, how sweaty, half-naked Tristan jerking like he’s having a fit behind the decks to the delight of all his slavering minions at Glastonbury probably ought to cover up, said nobody ever…

Last edited:

Torsion Jim

seasonal vegetables
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
If i may steer the techno thread briefly back to techno........

Nice little rapidly spoken video breakdown of Hypnus Records here:

only releasing during a full moon is a nice touch. I have to appreciate the effort there.....

Id be pleased if anyone can tell me the name of the sister label he mentions, is it called Kabbalian? Ive had a go at searching for it, but i drew a blank.

Deleted member 735

Reaction score
Because men never DJ topless sweating their moobs off, pull pouty bass faces while stroking their beards, too cool to dance...

Next up, how sweaty, half-naked Tristan jerking like he’s having a fit behind the decks to the delight of all his slavering minions at Glastonbury probably ought to cover up, said nobody ever…

You literally just did the feminist version of #WhiteLivesMatterToo ...(/giant fucking facepalm)

You don’t get to shush me, Chris

I didn't try to shush you.
I just made clear I won't be the subject of your weird, misguided attack.
Feel free to make "feminist noises" all you want, but making them at me is wasting your breath.
Not because I don't listen, but because (especially when it comes to women in the arts), I think I've done a lot more than I mention publically....or that you have any idea about.
So take your ranty "gobbier" B.S elsewhere and leave me the fuck alone.

floatyhippyflower

Free spirit, lost soul.
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
You literally just did the feminist version of #WhiteLivesMatterToo ...(/giant fucking facepalm)

I see you don't do sarcasm.

I didn't try to shush you.

"Take your "personal experience" out on someone else" is pretty fekkin shushy, like...

Not because I don't listen, but because (especially when it comes to women in the arts), I think I've done a lot more than I mention publically....or that you have any idea about.

LOLLLLL! In other news, some of my best friends are black.

So take your ranty "gobbier" B.S elsewhere and leave me the fuck alone.

Quit making tone-deaf statements about how you think female artists ought to behave and dress, and we got a deal.

Deleted member 735

Reaction score
Quit making tone-deaf statements about how you think female artists ought to behave and dress, and we got a deal.

No deal.
I'll pass comment on any artist if I so choose.
Man, woman or anywhere inbetween.

Your opinions, on MY opinions, don't matter to me.
...and some inane, angry, misguided, irony-soaked midnight rambling won't change that.

Last edited:

Deleted member 735

Reaction score
If i may steer the techno thread briefly back to techno........

Good share - I enjoyed that!

My listening for today (Thanks Y.T algorithm!... never heard of her!)

She drops a mix or two, but overall, really good energy... and I love the fact she plays, "do easy" ...Probably one of my fave tracks (no idea the real name/artist - so if anyone wants to fill me in, feel free!)
(Skip to 20 mins in, if you're one of those that feel "dub" and "house" has no place in the same sentence as techno"...
More chunkier progressive vibes from then on)