Tribal Metal

Cai

Reaction score
Well its not about psy-trance, but it is about music! (yay) Wasn't really sure which section to put it in, so i put it here!
Just pulled out an old album from a few years back, from back in the day as it were.
Sepultura - Roots Bloody Roots
Thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish.
Phat metal riffs, rolling bass drum and big geezer screaming down the mic, with tribal drumming, noises and chanting.
Lovin' it!
Had a bit of a jig to a few of the tracks. Think it could be quite funny to go to a metal gig and dance around to the music.

sepultura are kings among men

igor cavalera is probably the most exciting heavy drummer ever to grace recorded music

roots is a pretty stomping album but personally I far prefer the more 'thrash' styles of Chaos AD, kind of a less 80's slayer meets brazilian death metal :Grin:
tbh the earlier stuff grates a little and they kind of started to lose the plot a bit from roots onwards given the commercial influence of 'nu-metal'

dancing around at metal gigs is wicked fun, although often leads to spilling your beer down the back of some big hairy sweaty dude (which can also be fun!)

Bacchanal said:
igor cavalera is probably the most exciting heavy drummer ever to grace recorded music

roots is a pretty stomping album but personally I far prefer the more 'thrash' styles of Chaos AD, kind of a less 80's slayer meets brazilian death metal :Grin:

ditto

favorites : Beneath the remains & the masterpiece ARISE, roots was an experiment imo into more tribal and industrial sounds , which is not what i realy like(d).

Chaos AD was my personal fave too....although I did enjoy the earlier and later albums (while Max was still in the band anyway)
Went to see Pitchshifter on my birthday last year....first gig I'd been to in years.....I had a wicked time! It was great just to be able to get really pissed hurl yerslf around for a few hours and shout as loud as yer wanted.....great way of just releasing a bit of inner tension.........Its now my aim to go to at least 1 gig a year from now on to re visit my fave old bands

i like the acousic guitar stuff on roots, was a bit of a departure but still cool

fat bass sound aswell, but chaos ad is my fave too :Smile3:

Personally, I would go for Neurosis any given day!

To be fair though Chaos AD was a great record and opened up my gate for New Model Army!

Roots I didn't like at all...sorry

mmm, Neurosis :punk:
heavy heavy doom made by an aging bunch of california crusties
saw them live at the Forum not too long ago... AWESOME

but then I can't quite decide if they were as good as Isis... :badger:
tis a whole new sort of music I tells ya, intelligent heaviness, complex harmony, and a whole sheetload of groove
\m/

Bacchanal said:
mmm, Neurosis :punk:
heavy heavy doom made by an aging bunch of california crusties
saw them live at the Forum not too long ago... AWESOME

but then I can't quite decide if they were as good as Isis... :badger:
tis a whole new sort of music I tells ya, intelligent heaviness, complex harmony, and a whole sheetload of groove
\m/

He-he! Doesn't really matter!
Same sonic womb different beasts :Smile3:
Both awesome as essential.
Neurosis really go back in time while Isis and affiliate projects (Old Man Gloom, Red Sparrows etc) are da shit!

Btw have you watched the DVD for A Sun that Never Sets? A full length video for a full length album?

Simply Inspiring!

Hello Mr.Five! A metal thread and you absent ... now score stands settled! He-he!

Btw tonight in Athens Isis play with support no other than Jesu...and I am still in Romania-->gutted :Sad:

Have you heard Orphaned Land latest album btw?

Red five said:
also have a look at .... godflesh....l blah blah blah...

Godflesh are one of the most intense bands I've ever seen - though I only ever saw the Swans in their girly acoustic phase as opposed to their ear bleeding stupid amounts of PA phase, which most agree is the most full on live sound ever...

heheh never thought I'd see the name eyehategod on this forum!
also one of my favourite live acts ever, pure smacked-out chaos

also from a similar 'sonic womb' as isis and neurosis definately wortth hearing is PELICAN, their newer effort Australasia is pure psychedelic instrumental soundscaping, less sparse than red sparowes, and not exclusively in the 'metal' spectrum

Bacchanal said:
also from a similar 'sonic womb' as isis and neurosis definately wortth hearing is PELICAN, their newer effort Australasia is pure psychedelic instrumental soundscaping, less sparse than red sparowes, and not exclusively in the 'metal' spectrum

Pelican are great! They 've got a new Ep out btw! March Into The Sea by name. I heard its smoking. I'll post a review here soon from monolith if you care.

Back