Tsunami Fundraisers

Neko

Meer Kat
Reaction score
The Hill is alive with the sound of music
Just noticed in the party section yet ANOTHER Tsunami fundraiser. Wonderful to see so many parties been put on with the intention of helping others less fortunate. But would be nice to see some fundraisers for other causes too before everyone slides back into their usual state of apathy... :sad:

Wow. I'm not the only person this has occured to.

if you are refering to the Bristol FundRaiser.. then this was planned at the time of the Tsunami.. promises and favours were made on the basis that profits would go to help the Tsunami Relief effort. It would not be ethical to change that now.

Money raised will be going to Water Aid & Action Aid, and will used to help rebuild and repair the lives of those affected by the most devastating naturally occuring disaster in our life time.

Yes would be great to see people do something to help others.. You've both noticed something.. so what about taking some action yourselves? quick before apathy sets in!! :Smile3:

I'm responsible for the Sheffield fundraiser which was planned and organised in January - tonight being the first free Friday we could get in any decent sized venue. As things have moved on since the orginal plan - we're now donating the proceeds 50/50 to the DEC and to OXFAM.

As Jason said - there's nothing to stop anyone sorting out a benefit for whatever they feel is a worthy cause - so if you feel strongly - go & do it!

:Smile3:

heres an idea for a benefit 'gig'

instead of having a night out.. have a night in!!

give the money that you would have spent on the ticket, transport, drink & drugs to the charity of your choice!

you'll know exactly how much & where your money is going, its healthy and you'll be doing your bit for the environment too!

Jason Frog said:

you'll know exactly how much & where your money is going, its healthy and you'll be doing your bit for the environment too!

has anyone been seeing those reports on the news concerning areas affected by the tsunami that have yet to get aid? and yet those touristy regions all seem to be up and running.

makes my blood go hot :mad:

We have had about a gazillion million trillian tsunami fundraisers down here in oz too... almost seems its a little trendy to donate which is kind of sad. The masses will donate to this and feel validated yet not really give a shit about anything else fucked up in the world.

Anyway ill shut up.

Good luck with this party! There all with good intentions :Smile3:

Uh, I seem to remember putting up a thread ages ago about this. I think that it's so fab that the trance community pulls together to do things like this. The power of the British pound is underestimated by those who live here. It could soooo help those in under-developed countries, or animals who can't help themselves. We have the power to help just by having a good time. Do we need lots of media coverage for us to get off our asses? Or is it because what happens in other countries doesn't affect us? Maybe that's why the Tsunami generated such interest - cos we all knew someone who knew someone who was there...

Jason Frog said:

instead of having a night out.. have a night in!!

give the money that you would have spent on the ticket, transport, drink & drugs to the charity of your choice!

i did that for comic relief :lol:

have no idea what event i didnt go to now.... hm....

Taliana said:
We have had about a gazillion million trillian tsunami fundraisers down here in oz too... almost seems its a little trendy to donate which is kind of sad. The masses will donate to this and feel validated yet not really give a shit about anything else fucked up in the world.

Anyway ill shut up.

Good luck with this party! There all with good intentions :Smile3:

You can say that again

Pity the funds to certain ones in Oz go into the pockets of the organisers

TRIBEADELIC ANYONE ?

I would love to see a report of all the parties who raised money for the disaster, detailing what money was raised and where it went. Is that asking too much?? It seems when people like Spiz make statements like that the one above it would be nice to have these things part of public record. Would love to know how much was raised with our various NYE parties, I was at the Coronet (Devaaya) and there were buckets of coins gathered!

Spiz said:
You can say that again

Pity the funds to certain ones in Oz go into the pockets of the organisers

TRIBEADELIC ANYONE ?

spiz is full of shit,
tribeadelic has donated almost $2000 to the tsunami disater fund.
as well as another $600 that was raised at our nye festival.
all funds have been documented ,and have been posted publically at the time of the fundraiser.
funny how some people get their kicks.
;-)

greatruaha said:
I would love to see a report of all the parties who raised money for the disaster, detailing what money was raised and where it went. Is that asking too much?? It seems when people like Spiz make statements like that the one above it would be nice to have these things part of public record. Would love to know how much was raised with our various NYE parties, I was at the Coronet (Devaaya) and there were buckets of coins gathered!

the tribe of frog / 666 / species / ripsnorter party in bristol raised £7096, all of which was given to action aid & water aid last week..

Congrats!!!! BTW - was not criticising the TOF crew - but for about a month there, there seemd to me weekly Tsunami Benefit fundraisers at a Brixton Bar - it baffled me that this was the only cause money seemed to be raised for.
On a happy note, apparently the fact that people were busy supporting the tsunami fund did not mean other charities missed out significantly. On a not so happy note - been v. busy so don't really have time to be attending benefits put on by folk never mind organising one myself, however if I make it to a party in Bristol once I qualify, I'll happily offer services as an aromatherapist in return for donations to charity!

The Sheffield benefit (Planet Zogg/Juju/Riddimtion/Dubcentral/Phon-etics) on 1st April raised £4000 (which does seem a very round figure - it was actually £3947 but the venue donated another £53 to round it off!).

I posted bank drafts to Oxfam & the DEC Tsunami fund for £1900 each plus £200 was donated to Heather Wallis, a local trainee nurse who's going out to Sri Lanka as a volunteer in Sept.

Top marks to Martin Pod for playing at both the Sheffield & Bristol benefits on consecutive nights and big thanks to all the nights involved and everyone who came down to enjoy themselves.

John

Wow, that is a lot of money raised, people should feel great having been involved with such great events! Hope my post did not sound like a dig, it was just an honest question.

Well done to all who put on parties and managed to raise these funds!

Back