Tuning kick to bass? I don't get it..

ichabod

Reaction score
I always hear a lot about trying to tune the kick to the bass for full on psy. This completely baffles me; trance kicks all seem to be based on a sine wave with swept frequency - starting at high freq. then going lower through the duration of the kick. Doesn't this make the concept of tuning the kick to the bass a bit meaningless?

Continuum

Throb Farmer
Reaction score
Nope. In my experience if you fiddle with the kick pitch there's a wide area where it sounds crap and a tiny little spot where it sounds 'right'. Try it and you'll see.

Sorry thats not actually much help is it. erm...

jamez_23

Blah
Reaction score
what he said ..... there is no rule to it .... you may find that kicks sometimes sound better against the rest of the tune when you play around with the pitch to find the sweet spot .....

also try filtering the kick - can get some nice results with auto-filter in logic for example ......

Abstraction

happy juice
Reaction score
because of the way the amplitude changes over time, there is usually a prominent frequency. ill try and find a pic that demonstrates it. do what continuum said, the man talks sense.

A

Andrea

I remember a thread about this long time ago, sorry I'm not good in searching it. Maybe someone can find it?

nomis

bumbalumba cruiser
Reaction score