turning household plastics into ...

Liquid Ross

Forum Member
Reaction score
things ..

havent really got any technical ideas .. or even much idea of it will have a negative or positive effect on the world around me and other .. BUT .. ive always felt that we should take responsibility to process our own rubbish and do our own recycling inhouse if poss ...

so was thinking and trying to brain storm on how to grind up the many types of plastics that appear around me .. from the the major player being platic bottles but to all the shrink wrap of other things too ... and grind all this lop into little bits or pellets or something ..

then .. stick it in to bricks .. or more to the point a suitable lego stylee brick .. and then compress it and then heat it in an already hot heat source and .. maybe .. hmmm .. mite make lego brick out of the plastic rubbish ..

now I know a zillion things i would do with Lego Bricks (the size of house bricks ..) ... but is this possible and simple and without an impact that might otherwise be avoided...

it just me taking the recycling or it being collected is having a transport impact and then the energy impact and more ...

hmmmmm ... any ideas or solutions id be glad to hear ..

it would be like being a kid again .. just the bricks got bigger YAY !!

miszt said:
kool idea, but depends on the type of plastic, some cant be remolded even if reheated, cant remeber the names, long time since I did CDT @ skool hehe

hmmm .. should be some law in place to actually make household food plastics n tings full recyclable ..

but i dream of this thing that looks like a garlic crusher .. but bigger .. with a winding handle and mental teeth and other things to grind the plastics .. the sort of thing that would cost 39.99 and u could bolt it on the wall in the kitchen and use it always ..

xx

theroplastics and thermosetting plastics.. I think thermostetting platics can be moulded once, very resistant to heat, but can't be remoulded. Thermoplastics are less resistant to heat but can be remoulded. All depends on the kind of chains in them innit :p

Today I learnt that fleeces are made from recycled plastic bottles (and some other stuff too).

I will show you my recycling adventure book on day.. it's pop-up!

Also I just remembered that using potato starch instead of clear plastic is starting to happen a little more! hooray! (mostly i've seen it on shop-packaged sandwiches)

not all plastics are synthetic, some come from natrual sustainable sources, not sure how widly used they are tho, like the idea of the garlik crush ross lol or mayb like a big nutmeg thingy

There are a few projects like the one you discuss i.e. compressing existing plastics together to create new materials.

Many of these projects are located on new material web sites....the best ones though usually require payment to access. due to the fact that these 'new materials' are in themselves created with new techniques and processes. (I have a couple good links that ill dig up..)

::not plastic but rubber-

one really cool sustainable project is based in Japan. Whats done is disused tyres are compressed into paving slabs, then put on the streets. Not only is your walk enhanced but the day to day movement of pedestrians slowly erodes the previously unusable rubber.....

I got a friend in Deeaaaaarby that recycles plastics into jewellery -
Not bad stuff either.

If anyone wants to contact her in regards to this, let me know.

i gonna save my milk bottles use them as plant pots for seedlings. and turn the other half upside down, pierce a few holes in the top and use as slow release watering system on allotment. think re-use before recycle. :ibiggrin:

Back