U.S. to invade Venezuela???

*edited*

The fact that the US was clearly implicated in the failed coup attempt against President Chavez and the legitimate Venezuelan Govt. in 2002 supports the allegations.

(BTW, yet another example of the US disregard for international law.)

However, I don't think there's any more risk of an invasion of Venezuela than there is of an invasion of a number of other countries. That's not to say it won't happen, particularly when Bush's record and the stated aims of the neo-cons are taken into account.

Hugs,

Barclay

I think it's more likely (and in fact, quite likely), that they'll try to take out Chavez.
What's the bet that in the near future, a Muslim terrorist suddenly decide to plant a bomb in a hotel Chavez is coincidentally visiting?
They alread wanted to get rid of him, as we saw by the failed coup - and right now they're kind to be extra pissed off, since Chavez just offered to sell the poorer US states loads of cut price oil (or something to that effect - saw the article today but didnt read it carefully - apologies if it's one of your links Whitedog).

Don't think there's any other government with such a high approval rating from the populace (something like 70-80%). No wonder Bush hates him.

whitedog said:

I'm honestly not surprised.... Just too drunk at the moment to post a qualified assessment - I'll check it out tommorow ... At the mo I just wanny hug everyone... (me drunk..... :beer:Smile3:

No way... America aren't that stupid to invade another country without a good reason, just because it has oil... ah no wait a second...

I think they have a much firmer grip on South America, they know the psychology of the people far better and have fully infiltrated all the countries on the continent. (see my sig!)

Of course Gringo's (note only yanks are Gringos) are hated in most coutries south of the US border to varying degrees so suspicions are always high.

There has been a huge change in Venezua and in some of the surrounding coutries, and it was because of the that the Bush fulled CIA coup failed, finally the indiginous population is gaiing some power, and I think that is unstappable.

So in ballance, those dirty Americans will have to wait a while yet to get their paws on the loot.

In 2000 Iraq began pricing its oil in €, not US$, as part of a drive by OPEC towards pricing all oil in € - which makes sense, since the majority of OPEC states sell to the EU and/or China. Having the global oil trade dominated by the € rather than the US$ would hurt the US economy badly - we're talking greater than the entire operational cost of the US military operation in Iraq. Within a couple of years Iraq was invaded, and Iraqi oil was once again priced in US$.
After Iraq, Venezuela has been the most enthusiastic proponent of pricing oil in € - even though it doesn't sell much oil to the EU (it sells a small amount to France and the Netherlands, parts of which are close to Venezuela). This would boost the EU economy - already 10% bigger than that of the US - and weaken the American one.
If OPEC decides to go down the € route, Venezuela is at risk of invasion, however this depends in part upon reaction in Europe - America won't 'go it alone', and for any European government to follow the US into another war could well prove to be political suicide, especially in the wake of the Kelly Affair and Downing Street Memo.

However it is worth remembering that the US is more divided socially than at any time since the Civil War. There's no risk of the US falling into Civil War again, but it may be enough for Washington's hands to be tied - especially if America finally impeaches Bush over the Downing Street Memo.

As William Arkin points out, there's a difference between actual war and war plans. One of the main problems with the American military is, in my opinion, that it consists of differrent factions which are competing for a finite amount of cash. They all need to justify their existence periodically in order to ensure that they have money to spend on new toys.

I think (hope) that the Venezualen case is just an example of certain sections of the military (Southern Command) trying to squeeze more dollars out of the American taxpayer. I seriously doubt it will actually come to war....

... maybe I'm just being uncharacteristically optimistic tho....

As Chavez is still off Bush's Christmas cards list, it's worth seeing this film for some background info:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074958/
THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED
DIRECTED AND PHOTOGRAPHED BY
KIM BARTLEY AND DONNACHA O'BRIAIN
IRELAND, 2003
74 MINUTES

IN SPANISH WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLES

HUGO CHAVEZ ELECTED PRESIDENT OF VENEZUELA IN 1998, IS A COLORFUL,
UNPREDICTABLE FOLK HERO, beloved by his nation's working class and a
tough-as-nails, quixotic opponent to the power structure that would see
him deposed. Two independent filmmakers were inside the presidential
palace on April 11, 2002, when he was forcibly removed from office.
They
were also present 48 hours later when, remarkably, he returned to power
amid cheering aides. Their film records what was probably history's
shortest-lived coup d'état. It's a unique document about political
muscle and an extraordinary portrait of the man The Wall Street Journal
credits with making Venezuela "Washington's biggest Latin American
headache after the old standby, Cuba."

Some awards:

Jury Award, Best Documentary, Malaga Int'l Film Festival (Spain)

Needle Award, Seattle Film Festival (USA)

Le Prix George du Beau Regard International, Best Documentary,
FID Marseilles Film Festival (France)

Best Feature Documentary, Galway Film Fleadh, (Ireland)

The David Wolper Documentary Film Grand Prize, for Best Documentary,
2003 Wine & Country Film Festival (USA)

1st Prize, Best Documentary, 3 Continents Film Festival, (South Africa)

The Silver Hugo Award, Chicago International Film Festival, (USA)

24th Durban International Film Festival, Best Documentary
eThekwini Film Award

'KITE' Award for Best Documentary,
2º Festival Internacional de Cine para la Infancia y la Juventud,
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Best Documentary, 16th Seagate Foyle Film Festival, Northern Ireland

'Special Mention' from the International Jury of the
44th Festival dei Popoli, Florence Film Festival

Milagro Award for Best Latino film, Santa Fe Film Festival, USA

Best Documentary, International Documentary Awards (IDA’s), USA

Global Television Grand Prix, Banff 2003 Television Festival

Best Social and Political Documentary, Banff 2003 Television Festival