UK Trance > Transient

Red five Feb 28, 2004

1. Red five

Red five jah mangled spanner

Threads:
    </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DeathPosture @ Mar 3 2004, 11:33 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Red five @ Mar 3 2004, 10:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>no,. he just wrote out the press release and changed it a bit...

...and if you "stay clear" of "anything with trance or psychedelic in them ...WHAT ARE YOU DOING ADVERTISING PSY-SHOP YOU PLUM! besides most of us are chaos unlimited types around these parts....[/quote:cccd361c70]

Thank you very much for that warm welcome Red Five... You've made me feel very welcome here... :Wink3:

Well, I always provide links to online-shops carrying the stuff I review... It could might as well have been Chaos or Saiko Sounds... I'm sorry my link offended you...

And hey, this is a review forum right? For reviews, no? Yes, I used the press release for background information - is there a problem with that? If so, please let me know...

And for the rest off you, thank you for your comments... I do my best to write non-biased, honest reviews...

Oh, and I've opened a thread about myself in the "introduce yourself forum" if anyone is wondering who I am...

Thank you!

DeathPosture
    :sun: [/quote:cccd361c70]
    Sorry man, i thought you were "one of those", we get them occasionally...you know the type....

I realise i was a bit off, and I apologise...early morning blues and stuff.

I already control the Tea's, I make wicked tea.

2. DeathPosture

DeathPosture Fingering.Nuns.On.Mars

Threads:
    </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Red five @ Mar 3 2004, 04:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Sorry man, i thought you were "one of those", we get them occasionally...you know the type....

I realise i was a bit off, and I apologise...early morning blues and stuff.

I already control the Tea's, I make wicked tea.[/quote:c648c46501]

No worries man, I was hoping you just had the morning blues... I can assure you I'm not "one of them"... I answer to no-one! ;o)

You all have a LUSH day... Cheers!

DeathPosture

3. goa_kev

goa_kev Forum Member

Threads:
    Atleast we all agree,
    this is a wikid CD,
    and apparently,
    Red 5 makes wikid tea!

......coat on and.... :runsmile:

4. Full Lotus

Full Lotus Hob Nob King Staff Member

Threads:
    Hey guys, I can vouch for Death Posture from some of those other 'forums' out there :Wink3: See you soon mate, and good review :Smile3:

5. psychedelVic

psychedelVic (~'~)

Threads:
    "BOOM comp!!"

end review :lol1: :P

6. your mum

your mum Member

Threads:
    Sorry to burst your bubbles, but with the exception of Dawn Raider and the rmx of Daisy Cutter, this compilation is another bunch of fast kicks and basslines with meaningles moody synths, loads of headaching noise, missing on originality and funk, and gives me a strong drive to... stroke my chin instead of dance.
    I can't speak for the new talent, but Dick, Jules and Cosmosis have done much better tunes that the ones on this compilation.

An ok compilation, but UK Trance has had better days for sure.

Peace out.

7. JPsychodelicacy

JPsychodelicacy Studio Elf

Threads:
    </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (your mum @ Mar 4 2004, 01:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Sorry to burst your bubbles, ....

An ok compilation, but UK Trance has had better days for sure.

Peace out. [/quote:008a56ae8a]
    In your opinion, of course. :P

Of course, psychedelic trance, as I understand it, has never gone out of its way to be particularly funky (though it can be very much so in the right hands).

'Fast kicks and basslines'? If anything the stuff on here seems to be a bit slower than most of the 'neo-full-on' crud we're hearing at the moment, and certainly from the tracks I've heard there's a bit more thought gone into it than just the 'throw random 16th notes at the bassline till it sticks' methodology that's been in vogue for a while.

Anyway, it goes without saying that some tracks will be better than others, but given that this compilation has two or three acts making their debut, I think it bodes pretty well.

Oh, sorry... what I meant to say was :

5hutt up u lam0rz PHuX 0FF 4nD go li55en 2 y00r pr0g h0u53 1F UR 50 1nt0 th4t cr4p.

:Wink3: :P

J.

8. your mum

your mum Member

Threads:
    </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JPsychodelicacy @ Mar 4 2004, 02:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Oh, sorry... what I meant to say was :

5hutt up u lam0rz PHuX 0FF 4nD go li55en 2 y00r pr0g h0u53 1F UR 50 1nt0 th4t cr4p.

:Wink3: :P

J. [/quote:1a0b650170]
    Yes I like prog house and other types of music as well, does that mean I cannot apreciate good pry-trance music when I hear it?
    By the way you react to someone not jumping up and down for the newest compilation around, just because it is the newest one, I can tell you must be a very open minded person.

Peace out.

9. Goz

Goz Psy-Richard Staff Member

Threads:
    </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (your mum @ Mar 4 2004, 02:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> By the way you react to someone not jumping up and down for the newest compilation around, just because it is the newest one, I can tell you must be a very open minded person.
    [/quote:503b5144e9]
    Lol. And just because you don't like something doesn't mean its crap. Its all subjective isn't it? Christ there probably ARE people out there who think steps had talent ...

10. Red five

Threads:
    </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (goa_kev @ Mar 3 2004, 07:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Atleast we all agree,
    this is a wikid CD,
    and apparently,
    Red 5 makes wikid tea!

......coat on and.... :runsmile: [/quote:2db1caf302]
    I am the tea master...it's all about the flava...mmmm...teeeea...

fuck it I'm gonna bunk out of this important 3rd year lecture and go home for a cup of tea....

i would go to the cafeteria...but the tea there is made but talentless tea makers and tastes of piss.

yeah i know off topic...but theres always time for tea and biscuits.

11. Red five

Threads:
    </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (your mum @ Mar 4 2004, 01:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Sorry to burst your bubbles, but with the exception of Dawn Raider and the rmx of Daisy Cutter, this compilation is another bunch of fast kicks and basslines with meaningles moody synths, loads of headaching noise, missing on originality and funk, and gives me a strong drive to... stroke my chin instead of dance.
    [/quote:37491d05ab]
    don't suppose you chose the tunes for the last few flying rhino comps did you, it would explain a bit.

we like because it's not the same old...dungadungadunga...hatstand noise...build up...matrix sample...and drop....crap that gets churned out all the time.

J...whats wrong with NEO full on? or are you the voice of taste for the trance community?

me, I like it all, because I choose not to limit myself to what i can mix.

even prog house has some good stuff in it :o

and as for the disco thing below...mate without disco, no house, therefore no techno, and therefore no goa trance, and so on...

12. JPsychodelicacy

Threads:
    </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Goz @ Mar 4 2004, 02:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (your mum @ Mar 4 2004, 02:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> By the way you react to someone not jumping up and down for the newest compilation around, just because it is the newest one, I can tell you must be a very open minded person.
    [/quote:b567da17eb]
    Lol. And just because you don't like something doesn't mean its crap. Its all subjective isn't it? Christ there probably ARE people out there who think steps had talent ... [/quote:b567da17eb]
    Well, in the Jim Davidson sense of 'talent', yeah - Steps had 3 of 'em. :Wink3:

Your Mum, don't take my comments personally. I'm sure you're aware that I had my tongue very firmly planted in cheek. I happen to think many recent psytrance releases have been utter arse (I'm looking at you 1200Mics!), that a lot of Full-On is frankly risible, and that musically speaking the scene needs a bit more variety to its ouevre.

I'm not a huge fan of most House post-1991, because frankly I despise the disco from which most House is built (no pun intended). However, I ain't about to slate you for liking it (the guy who used to play drums for my band who is now a House DJ gets all the ribbing I think he deserves, tho :Wink3: )

Mr. 5: Truth be told, the jury is still out on that one as far as I'm concerned. What gets me about most of the stuff I've been hearing out (that I've been told is supposed to be 'Neo') is that it feels like a wall of sound with no release, and the synth settings are edging perilously close to the kind of sounds you hear in Hard Dance (i.e. naggy and mid-rangey... sounds like a strangled duck). Just a personal preference thing really - what made the old Goa sound special to me was that there was a certain amount of breathing space, which may have had more to do with technology limitation than design.

Oh, and though "we're" hearing it, the opinion voiced is strictly mine and mine alone. :P :Wink3:

J.

13. goa_kev

goa_kev Forum Member

Threads:
    </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (your mum @ Mar 4 2004, 02:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> By the way you react to someone not jumping up and down for the newest compilation around, just because it is the newest one [/quote:fadb865282]
    Thats a bit of an assumption dont u think? We like it for the reasons we wrote in our reviews of it.

14. your mum

your mum Member

Threads:
    </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Goz @ Mar 4 2004, 02:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (your mum @ Mar 4 2004, 02:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> By the way you react to someone not jumping up and down for the newest compilation around, just because it is the newest one, I can tell you must be a very open minded person.
    [/quote:3f8fda7a0b]
    Lol. And just because you don't like something doesn't mean its crap. Its all subjective isn't it? Christ there probably ARE people out there who think steps had talent ... [/quote:3f8fda7a0b]
    Exactly, that is why I never said it was crap, but said that it was an ok compilation with a couple of great tunes.

Can't you people simply accept the fact that not everyone likes the same stuff as you do?

Some people do jump up and down as soon as a new compilation that involves big names gets released and I am sure a lot of you have witnessed that. Nowdays, someone needs to filter out a lot of material to get to the good stuff, because of that stance.

In no way am I attacking Transient recs and/or some of the artists mentioned as some of my favourite tunes have been released by them, but since I've been exposed to their earlier output, been touched by it and feel connected to it, I am going to say what I think about this new one whether you like it or not...Some people need to chill out!

And don't even get me started on the disco issue... Donna Summer did the first psy tune decades before self righteous "trancers" where around.

Peace out.

15. yogi

yogi Member

Threads:
    </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Red five @ Mar 4 2004, 02:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> even prog house has some good stuff in it did you mean "innit"?

[/quote:73796c4006]
    :P

16. JPsychodelicacy

Threads:
    </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (your mum @ Mar 4 2004, 04:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Some people do jump up and down as soon as a new compilation that involves big names gets released and I am sure a lot of you have witnessed that. [/quote:2212e8b534]
    Yeah, but you won't find much of it round these parts.

And I didn't really pick this one up because of the 'big names' on it - I've made a point of trying to pick up the lesser known stuff (as long as it's good).

And I respect and will defend your right to do so... I'll just respectfully disagree.

There are a few diamonds in the rough, I'll admit.

I just wish House, like the disco before it, didn't sound so (dare I say it?) gay...

Actually that's a blatant lie... there's just something about it which stops me from getting into it.

J.

17. Goz

Threads:
    </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (your mum @ Mar 4 2004, 04:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Can't you people simply accept the fact that not everyone likes the same stuff as you do? [/quote:c5f891a57e]
    Yes i can :Smile3:

Now can you say the same thing with a sweeping generalisation such as this?

Is my only point :Smile3:

And from what you are saying this is pretty much your point too ...

And, for the record, i spend most of my money on progressive these days. I prefer a "funkier" beat and music that you can lose your mind in :Smile3:

18. JPsychodelicacy

Threads:
    </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Goz @ Mar 4 2004, 05:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> And, for the record, i spend most of my money on progressive these days. I prefer a "funkier" beat and music that you can lose your mind in :Smile3: [/quote:0f19376a37]
    Bollox - you're just getting old... :Wink3: :P :lol:

J.

19. Goz

Threads:
    </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JPsychodelicacy @ Mar 4 2004, 07:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Bollox - you're just getting old... :Wink3: :P :lol:
    [/quote:a8bca4a14b]
    Well up urs Mr "2 months makes all the difference" :P

:Wink3:

20. skwelch

skwelch Senior Member

Threads:
    now now ladys, time for that cuppa red was on about
    and anyway no point in fighting, cos J you wont be able to reach goz's chin :Grin:

changin the subject very quickly, UK trance - i havent heard this comp but wether its good or not,, its not the difinition of uk trance is it?? there's so many more artists out there from this little island that arent on the comp

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice