Up for rent soon

Jodha Jan 6, 2004

1. Jodha

Jodha Jedi smoker of da ganja

Threads:
    Skype! mark.baraka -> seeya online innit muvafo
    Seeing that there are many talented and knowledgeable people on this forum it seems a good place for me to ask a few questions and pick a few brains on the fertility of the employment side of what we do.

That may be confusing so let me paint a little picture: in July this year I finish college with an HND in sound engineering and I want to job that uses it rather than finding myself in yet another dull office. I also have 8 years personal experience producing music (of varying quality) at home and am confident on most audio software and hardware you can throw at me. I also have limited work experience in radio, tv and playing around with small sound systems.

The problem is I dont really have a specified area of sound engineering I have my heart set on, although ideally I'd have my own studio and run a few record labels (not that you need this qualification for that). This is achievable with some investment but even so, realistically that is more of a 10 year plan rather than what to do later this year. Anything that is from "almost stimulating" and utilises the skills from what has been my hobby of 8 years will probably suit me fine as an introduction to working life in the industry, from there I will have a better vantage point to think about careers etc.

I'm guessing that there will be a few people here who have been through a similar job search to what I need to do later this year. Do you have any wise words you can share or pointers towards companies worth approaching?

Cheers :Smile3:

2. Ott^

Ott^ Guest

Yes.

Get out there and start bullshitting.

Jobs in the music industry [or the ones worth having anyway..] don't rely on qualifications in any way whatsoever.

What counts is experience, flair, enthusiasm and front.

And luck.

I worked as a freelance sound engineer/producer for 10 years before i started doing what i'm doing now. Never once was I asked if i was "qualified" cos in music, you're as good as your last recording/mix etc.

My whacky haircut and "interesting" name got me more jobs in the early days than any diploma ever could, and i progressed from small studios doing unsigned artists, to working in places like Sarm and Ridge Farm and RealWorld with some pretty well known people in quite a short time. Theres a bit of networking involved and making sure you are ready to take advantage of every opportunity you encounter.

I'm not blagging here - just trying to show yu that the music biz is almost universally uninterested in formal qualifications. I have seen engineer's CV's thrown into the bin cos they mention that they have a diploma from SAE (School of Audio Engineering).

Also worth remembering is that studios don't hire engineers any more. 99% of engineers/producers are freelance and have managers to find their work. Once you get the ball rolling, word of mouth should be sufficient to keep you working. A+R men are all desperate to find the next big thing - and that applies to producers as well as artists.

Work on a hit record and yu won't have to worry for ten years. The work will find you.

3. The Phonographist

The Phonographist www.lucidoxford.com

Threads:
    Dont you worry Mark, our Chaz n Dave megaparty medley is gonna make us stars.

4. voidcomm

voidcomm Junior Members

Threads:
    It has been said that 'Everything gives way to direct intent' (Crowley) - u have to really want it and stay on it untill you get it...this applies to much in life.
    Apparently there is good money up for a good live act - so my advice is get some background income, so ur not a poor struggling artist and focus on the music. Good music speaks for itself so when ur happy enough with it - start sending out demos (copywrite 'em first) and then follow 'em all up and as Ott says - get in there, network and start building your own ball of hype. Bookings should follow... this is my mission and I really want it - i'm so fed up with bullshit rat race - it's just a waste of life for me. Remember that most people with our aims die trying - so i think its v important to simply enjoy the journey. This way, even if no money is ever made, at least we had fun with the music and familly around us. I wish you every success and would love to hear some of your stuff.... as for mine...i'm working on it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice