US Control of the internet

sqoo

˙˙˙ƃuoɹʍ ǝuoƃ ǝlʞɔıʇ ɹɯ
Reaction score
It may slip from their hands, as they are now on their own, the US vs Rest of the world, huzzah!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4327928.stm :

The US has got an image problem when it comes to the internet.

It is seen as arrogant and determined to remain the sheriff of the world wide web, regardless of whatever the rest of the world may think.

It has even lost the support of the European Union. It stands alone as the divisive battle over who runs the internet heads for a showdown at a key UN summit in Tunisia next month.

The stakes are high, with the European Commissioner responsible for the net, Viviane Reding, warning of a potential web meltdown.

"The US is absolutely isolated and that is dangerous," she said during a briefing with journalists in London.

"Imagine the Brazilians or the Chinese doing their own internet. That would be the end of the story.

"I am very much afraid of a fragmented internet if there is no agreement."

And, more in depth audio from the register:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/10/wsis_podcasts/

Yep - they control how fast theirs is compared to the rest of the world, as well as the security levels allowed on software. I think that sucks. SA - for example - has been allowed a really really crap bandwidth (can't remember what it is right now) as well as really crap security levels. On the up side - I suppose that means that if anyone wants to attack your computer, they'd have to do it really slowly.

Still listening to the reports... cheers for the link, have been following the talks about ICANN etc with interest for a while now.

lala69 said:
Yep - they control how fast theirs is compared to the rest of the world, as well as the security levels allowed on software. I think that sucks. SA - for example - has been allowed a really really crap bandwidth (can't remember what it is right now) as well as really crap security levels. On the up side - I suppose that means that if anyone wants to attack your computer, they'd have to do it really slowly.

It's got more to do with the countries own telecomms systems. A lot of countries have had much higher speeds than the states for some time now. :ismile:

splinter-net

Subbie said:
splinter-net

Noooo,

can you imagine if we have 2 internets.
the us run one and the rest ofg the world.
it would just be kinda messy,
like do you or don't release your new movie on BetaMax.

The last thing the world needs is to partition cyberspace according to geo-politics. That would be almost as stupid as setting up a militant recruiting ground in the middle of one of the most unstable regions in the world...

lala69 said:
May explain SA - Telkom sucks. Badly.

are you referring to South Africa?

if so yeah, they do suck... all my partner's family live there & the main telephony provider is totally wanksome. iirc Telekom had a monopoly for ages - they might still do in fact!

Back