US Court decides sacred hallucinogen status

martin_e

Pantheistic Cyberneticist
Reaction score
Let's play "guess the outcome"...

BBC said:
Top US court hears religious case

The US Supreme Court is debating its first religious freedom case since the appointment of the new Chief Justice, John Roberts.

The judges are deciding whether to let a small congregation in New Mexico worship with hallucinogenic tea.

The hoasca tea is considered sacred to members of the group, O Centro Espirita Beneficiente Uniao do Vegetal.

However, the administration of President George Bush argues that it is illegal and potentially dangerous.

About 130 members of a Brazil-based church have been in long-running dispute with federal agents, who seized their tea in 1999.

Members of the group believe they can understand God only by drinking the tea, which is consumed twice a month at four-hour ceremonies.

Diversity

Supreme Court justices ruled 15 years ago that US states could criminalise the use of peyote, a bitter-tasting cactus which includes the hallucinogen mescaline, by Native Americans.

But Congress changed the law to allow the sacramental use of peyote in some tribal services.

grokit23

God mintsmak
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
I'd guess that the outcome ain't going to be good for them, but at the same time I'm really hoping for the very best of results for them. If they don't get the results they wanted, hopefully they'll get a backdoor reprieve from congress too... but I'm not going to hold my breath for it.

martin_e

Pantheistic Cyberneticist
Reaction score
I doubt they will. The Native Americans are in a bit of a different position as their reservations are not considered US territory - so they have slightly more flexibility in what happens on them...

Lazytom

imperialist running-dog
Reaction score
Uniao do Vegetal (like Santo Daime) use ayahuasca. There is no evidence whatsoever that it has any negative long-term physical or psychological effects. A lot of studies suggest that carefully measured doses, strictly controlled rituals, dress-codes and coordinated movement prevent people from experiencing negative psychological effects. During the early 90s, the Brazilian government commissioned a study involving law enforcement officials, doctors, psychologists, pharmocologists, sociologists and anthropologists to find out whether the use of ayahuasca (in this case by Santo Daime followers) could be dangerous. The unanimous verdict was that it was not dangerous and that it had positive effects in terms of social cohesion and individual psychological well-being.

So stick that in your pipe and smoke it Mr Bush.

Mind you, this is a man who probably thinks Brazil is in Europe...

Lazytom

imperialist running-dog
Reaction score
me neither...

Last I heard, the Uniao do Vegetal had been granted permission to practice by the State of New Mexico... I guess someone higher up the food chain took exception and passed it on to the supreme court...

Ben3rdEye

toe-jamm
Reaction score
Bush is a pusher - must be trying to scam summin' with pharmaceutical mafia.