Distribution: Wakyo/Statik/Wirikuta
Date: 13 April 2006

Track listing:

01. 08’26” DJ Preach – Oxygen Enhanced
02. 06’44” Nuclear Ramjet – Down The Wall
03. 05’08” Three Point Turn – Klush Kingdom
04. 05’41” Kali-Frogz - Dismembered
05. 06’05” Triac - Versa
06. 06’58” Tao vs. Metalogic – Irrational Impulse (4x4 Mix)
07. 05’58” Authentik – Les 3 Machines
08. 05’59” Spirallianz – BP Talk
09. 07’31” Tao – Pacific Intervention
10. 05’31” Hidra – Fixed
11. 05’51” Axiomata – New Normal (Remix)
12. 07’44” Toltech – Codigo Rojo

Review:

Water cooler trance…

Do you remember the scene around the turn of the millennium? Back then the uplifting melodies of the nineties were long forgotten and minimal tech-trance ruled the scene… Pretty much all labels turned their focus to those grim, stripped down techno-beats – and even the frontrunners of full-on, Tip.World, turned minimal. A few years passed and eventually the melodies returned along with the rise of progressive trance…

Not much tech-trance prevailed though and today pure tech-trance labels are somewhat scarce within psy-circuits… Well, the newly established label, Jester Records from Canada, is on a trance-mission to change that… Compiled by label founder DJ Clown, the first release is a compilation of technoid music destined to raise some eyebrows… The tracklist reveals the return of a couple of old-timers + a bunch of emerging talents… Almost a year after it was first announced, Rewired has finally arrived…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: DJ Preach – Oxygen Enhanced [135 BPM]
DJ Preach (Philippe Babin) from Canada is a well-known techno-producer with a very long roster of releases under his belt… And if his other work is anything like this, I’m already a new fan coz this is daaaaaamn smooth! This is not exactly techno, nor tech-trance… It’s a weird hybrid of both tied up in a bundle of progressive trance… Huge melodic pads fused with deep, pounding rhythms… Very well executed! This would be the perfect transition track going from progressive trance to tech-trance… It’s real fucking sweet!

#02: Nuclear Ramjet – Down The Wall [134 BPM]
Nuclear Ramjet (Felix-Antoine Richer & Max Chapados) is a long-running Canadian project which was started in 1997 with a blend of goa-trance and progressive trance – and that’s basically still what they are doing now in 2006 which also saw the release of their third album Mission To Sedna (Spaceport Records). This track is a mixture of raging tech-trance and electro + industrial elements… It has a somewhat melancholy feel to it – hidden behind the grim, urban rhythm section… Not bad at all, but parts of it seem a little too random for my taste…

#03: Three Point Turn – Klush Kingdom [136 BPM]
3.Turn (Jocelyn Jaigirdar & Stéphane Hoareau) from France were among the frontrunners of psyTeKk during its heyday with the release of two albums and a bunch of wax + compilation tracks… And this is their first new track in close to three years! Wow! But these guys surely haven’t lost their touch – this is their usual minimal tech-trance with razor-sharp edges… Seemingly monotonous, but given some playtime, this track is actually pretty nice… It will most likely not go down well for home-listening, but as a DJ tool it has a couple of really nice moments… I just wish it was longer and the end seems very odd…

#04: Kali-Frogz – Dismembered [135 BPM]
Kali-Frogz (Eric Brandy & Christophe Fabulet) are also from France. Everything I’ve heard from them has been downbeat, so I’m not familiar with their dancefloor work… This track is lighter and much more versatile than the previous one – it’s actually pretty uplifting despite the gritty elements used here… Something like psychedelic space techno I guess… Minimal at times, maximal at others… Nice!

#05: Triac – Versa [138 BPM]
Michael Reznik (Morax) & Ilan Lanz from Israel have appeared on a lot of progressive compilations recently and their debut album is out soon… This track also draws on their roots in progressive trance, but in keeping with the theme of this compilation, the old tech-trance meter has been cranked up a notch or five… It’s still pretty slick though – despite the raw, gritty nature of the music…

#06: Tao vs. Metalogic – Irrational Impulse (4x4 Mix) [138 BPM]
New-comer Tao Nguyen teams up with fellow Canadian Frederik Hatsav who released his excellent techno album Magnetic Influence on Boshke Beats in 2005…The original version of this track was featured on both that album and on the Chronika Chapter Two compilation also released by Boshke. And much like Metalogic’s previous work, this is one hard-hitting track of teKkno!d proportions… The basis is a pounding bassline galloping away accompanied by some cut-up, irregular beats and rhythms… Banging indeed! Sadly I loose interest about halfway thru…

#07: Authentik – Les 3 Machines [139 BPM]
Authentik is another alias for Three Point Turn (Jocelyn Jaigirdar & Stéphane Hoareau). And I’m happy to say that this is much better than their previous track – this is fast-paced, nitty-gritty tech-trance complete with oil-drums, industrial percussion and a progressive construction… And most importantly – a healthy dose of groove! Awesome!

#08: Spirallianz – BP Talk [142 BPM]
Arne Schaffhausen & Wayan Raabe from Germany are among the top acts within tech-trance/minimal with their successful projects Spirallianz and Midi Miliz. Blast Food released on Spirit Zone in 2000 is still a milestone album and these guys have continued to create awesome music in recent years… The unconventional intro is trademark Spirallianz and tension is building right from the get go… The track itself is a mix of Kraftwerk-like electro-madness and full-blown techno-trance… And what a successful mix it is… This is HUGE track – instantly rewarding!

#09: Tao – Pacific Intervention [138 BPM]
Tao Nguyen is back with a solo track…And this is much more uplifting than his collaboration with Metalogic… This is somewhat clubby (though not cheesy) tech-trance with a very distinct drive and a subtle groove… Bouncy and bubbling – danceable and head-bob friendly… Pretty nice for a debut release, though it seems to become a tad too cluttered during the second half of the track…

#10: Hidra – Fixed [140 BPM]
AFAIK Hidra (Grabriel Petrin) is a debuting artist from Canada… What we get here is pure tech-trance complete with a deep groove and a touch of tribal drums… Not unlike the Authentik track really… It’s pretty groovy and I like most of it – I just wish it was a little longer, and that the variety was a little bigger… Not bad, but not an instant highlight either…

#11: Toltech – Codigo Rojo [140 BPM]
Due to a mix-up at the print shop, tracks #11 and #12 are reverse on the artwork. So this is in fact Toltech and not Axiomata…. Anyway, Toltech is Carlos Godinez and supposedly, this is his debut release… It’s very different from the previous tracks with its broad experimentation level – and despite its 140 BPM, it seems much faster… It’s very hectic and I have a hard time keeping up with this intense, stressful music…

#12: Axiomata – New Normal (Remix) [138 BPM]
From Toronto comes a track by Cold Groove Records label manager Jeremy Reid (DJ Yeb) who has released a couple of tracks already… And his experience doesn’t pass unnoticed, as this is a very mature track… The opening melodies are indeed lovely and they carry the track to higher levels… The blunt, analogue beats may be old school, but they fit the techy mood perfectly… Though slightly minimal, this track has a certain laidback aura that I really like… It’s very slick! A nice way to finish the compilation…

Well colour me tech-tranced pink, if this isn’t a damn impressive debut release from Jester Records… Sure there are a couple of tracks that didn’t really do much for me, but luckily there are also a bunch of really awesome, non-conformist tracks here that I really enjoyed… For me this is a welcomed return of the tech-trance sound that seems to have been somewhat neglected in recent years… Sure there are still labels that push this sound, but unlike other psy sub-genres they are scarce…

The artwork (which reminds me of the Atmos’ 2nd Brigade) is very cool and generally I have a good feeling about the future of this label – it’s destined for something big! I’ll recommend this compilation to both tech-trancers, but also prog-heads into technoid/crossover stuff… Fans of Boshke Beats/Cold Groove/G+ and similar should also take notice… Enjoy!

Favourites: 1(!), 4, 5, 7(!), 8(!), 12

DeathPosture

External links:
Jester Records: http://www.jesterrecords.ca (redirects…)
Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/release/658928
Saiko Sounds: http://tinyurl.com/kmda9
Beatspace: http://tinyurl.com/k7qsp
Wirikuta: http://tinyurl.com/l3woq
Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/jh3hz
Wakyo: http://tinyurl.com/zkulh

spiralx

Interesting... I've got quite a few techno bits by DJ Preach, really enjoy his production and DJing...

Ozric

Hoofaloof
should be here by wednesday

can't wait! :Smile3: