VA - Midnight Storm (Nexus Media, 2005) CD

moni

mo moni mo problems
Reaction score
00vamidnightstorm2005upe5uf.jpg

VA - Midnight Storm - Nexus Media, January 2005

Tracklist:

1. Lemurians - Take Off To The Cosmos (Shift Remix)
2. Azax Syndrom - The Covenant
3. Brethren - I.E.F
4. Digital Talk & Azax Syndrom - Hagi Gat
5. Artifakt - Retch
6. Shift - The Face
7. R.A.M. - Nice But Dimm
8. Twisted System - Twisted Tiger
9. Scorb - Let's Go Raving

"Well well well, what do we have here!" - this is what i first said when i found out about this compilation, quite some months ago. I must say i'm guilty for not listening to the CD entirely, as i got stuck on 2 tracks on this one, particulary. Well, now i have a day off from work, so i said let's play some south african sound, let's play Midnight Storm.

This compilation is very well described by the title and by the cover. Sharp, colorful, dark, fire, lightning and thunder like.

Activate seat-belt, safety vest, and anything else you might think of:

1. Lemurians - Take Off To The Cosmos (Shift Remix)
The compilation kicks in with a strong, playful and trippy track, it has the purpose of installing energy and setting borders (practically none, hehe), and activate dancefloor flames. Pretty mad, almost pushes your brain to the limit in some parts, but later on you'll wanna hear it again. Psychedelic full on that grows on you, good track. :Smile3:

2. Azax Syndrom - The Covenant
To me this track is generic dark psychedelic full on, a good track but not outstanding. It fits well in a dj set, but it won't make you neither happy nor unhappy. It has repetitive parts, stop, build-up, kick, climax. It's approved.

3. Brethren - I.E.F
"Where is everybody?" - this voice sample starts the track. Well i'll tell you where they are. On the dance floor, preparing drinks and a towel. Twisted, psychedelic, twirling, powerful and fast, oh oh oh i need a break! And Brethren gives the break. The build up is pretty loose and it brings in cool short melodic pieces. Many layers on this one, quite few stop-kick tricks in this track. The last minute of this track is MAD.

4. Digital Talk & Azax Syndrom - Hagi Gat
This is what i call a "cold, calculated" track. Everything inside here seems to be made by a very well calculated scheme. Powerful kicks, cold melodic passages, builds-up, climaxes, twirls. It's a sharp, mad track, with a pretty cold geometry.

5. Artifakt - Retch
"What the f*ck is going on down there?"
This is the silver bullet in the gun. The track kicks in with a weird drum intro .. and then bang, shot in the head. The bullet will be hard to remove, trust me.
Dark full on at its best. It's a very good experiment in combining dark bass line and crazy layers with high sounds and combinations of sounds. It's hard to describe Artifakt's style, as he is so different and outstanding in the whole scene. It's best if you check the samples and figure out on your own. I'll just say that you'll find in this track a lot of variety and entertainment, a lot of experimenting, many layers and sharp sounds but i say accessible. It's a fast, balanced, energetic crazy track that will be the attraction of a dj set ..
When this guy tells you to "Open your mind to me..." do it, he knows his job very well.

6. Shift - The Face
Since Nexus Media is the product of the "saffer" psytrancer Shift, he was expected to deliver a good track for his product. And you have it here. It's a phat track, dark, psychedelic, trippy, with blasting bass lines, loaded with atmospheres, heavy melodic layers, energy, and the cutest female voice sample: "Come on ... Are you OK? Shall we call 911?"
Another good track for a dark / full on set. I like this track a lot, it's a heavy one, and yeah, I am ok, go on, give me more. :Smile3:

7. R.A.M. - Nice But Dimm
Random Access Memory - Nice but Dual In-line Memory Module? haha :Smile3:
(well, according to discogs.com, R.A.M. stands for Rampant Angry Men).
R.A.M. is a project made of Scorb (psychedelic) and NRS (psy-techno), and this track shows it. You'll hear a fine pumping techno layer between powerful kicks, bass line and trippy melodic lines. Very nice, sensitive, melodic lines in the first half. I like this track, it has many layers, but i wish they kept the pumping technoish level up all through the track, it had a nice effect. They got me interested.

8. Twisted System - Twisted Tiger
Another powerful track, but an easy, time-to-also-breath track. It's quite a bit uplifting even, it has a playful geometry, has many melodic lines, all arranged in a certain order .. one melody ends, another one starts. To some people this tune may be a dance-hard moment, to others it may seem like generic melodic full on, depends on each one's perception. It's a fine track.

9. Scorb - Let's Go Raving
Lovely name for this one! :Grin: Hehe, i sense experiment has been nosing around in this track as well. Cause it offers again variety, surprise elements like course changing, samples put together to form short melodic pieces, trippy melodic lines showing up in the background and disapearing. To me variety means entertainment, i feel entertained while listening to this one! Then some generic parts as pause, build-up, kicks, climax. Nice uplifting melodic climax!. Pretty nice track. :Smile3:

This compilation is all about full power .. dark, psychedelic, twisted full on. To be played deep in the night, when the dance floor is warmed up, and ready to sweat like hell. Warning: do not play this CD if you're not in the right mood or if you don't have the energy for it!

I like it a lot, it's a midnight storm indeed, very powerful and if you don't pay attention, you might miss some nice psytricks ... go inside and "read" the tracks, they are valuable, high-quality productions.
I say this is a very good compilation, it contains good tracks, some of them are outstanding, which makes this a must-have CD.

Links
saikosounds
psyshop

Back