VA - Soul Vibration 01 (Liquid Records)

damion

Pound Shop Alex Petridis
Reaction score
what in tintern abbey are you talking about?
lir1cd901.jpg

Various
Soul Vibration #001
Liquid Records (UK)

After making their mark on the trance side with Build Your Own Reactor, upcoming UK label Liquid Records make a stab at the already-crowded downtempo sector. Psyreviews has said it so many times, but in this subgenre a release has to stand out or it drowns. Some will just be head and shoulders above the rest; some will have a unique approach; and some will just have this wonderful energy to it, a certain magic that makes it a strong release: Soul Vibration is one of these.

Ott’s side-project Umberloid kicks off with Exit Chapel Perilous, a fusion of dub and blues that works wonderfully. The midsection have a cute little melody that’s held back from soaring the way it wants to, like it’s being tethered but still allowed to fly. Reality Staircase’s Sodium Stones is a nice, drifting piece with a good mulch of heavy sounds somehow balanced out to create a mellow vibe, and Slackbaba’s Dubterrania shows why this is an act making waves at the moment. Deeply psychedelic, and retaining a ‘live band’ feel, the way it all somehow hangs together is incredible. Think dub with only the bass holding it all together, peppered with more sounds than you’d get from a coachload of hippies who’ve just eaten a stash of burritos.

Red Seal are up next: if you’re familiar with their output (unjustly thin on the ground if you ask me), you’ll know it as a psy-chill version of festival reggae, as though Zion Train stopped taking amphetamines and ditched the female vocalist. Battle For Liquid Space has an escalating chord pattern, over which the track unfolds smoothly, with a slomo digidub backbone underneath it. Classy.

Manasseh’s Ribbit Teacha has been on heavy rotation here this week, it’s a funky blend of reggae, soul, and psychededlia… sort of like a 70s cop show set on samothraki island. Heavyweights Gaudi and Tripswitch combine forces with On The Edge, which surprisingly sounds nothing like either of their solo work – more like a meeting in the middle. It coasts along nicely, with a very heavy groove counterbalanced by some utterly gorgeous topends… sounds you’d expect to find in trance. It’s an absolute belter this one, with enough energy to work as a psybreaks number: respect.

Nagual Sound Experiment I’ve heard a lot of talk about, but Chimera is their first track I’ve caught…. And fuck me backwards with a broom handle if this isn’t corking stuff. Reverb-heavy psychobilly dub-hop. Shpongloid intricacy. Magical truculence. Dig?

Organismic’s Joos Harp is a fucking dream of a track, it’s breaks with a spread between tecchy, fluid, rudeboy and dreamy. Funkier than your mama, it’s got that perfect amount of everything to make a very, very special record. Graham Wood’s Mori Morma is a more standard psychill tune, loaded with (probably) sample-CD-ethnic-wailing. Finally Greg Hunter’s Neuro Feedback is a clever construction with plenty of what sounds like live drumming, up against a mesh of sounds and grooves underpinned by a huge sub bassline that sounds better the louder it goes.

All in all, this is a very decent effort, with some stellar highpoints going on. Soul Vibration doesn’t make any claim to be a spiritual journey, and is best viewed as a collection of different styles than a continued meditation across a theme.

That said, if you can’t shag to this then I suggest you see a doctor.

Need need to get this, a can of mussels, celery (they told me it works)

*checks back catalogue of ex's*

Allo?! :gr1n:

looking forward to hearing this one (when i've got some money spare, CD funds all eaten up for the next few weeks or so)

gwan then...what does everyone else fink then?

still playing all the time .....although i do have to skip past my track...hehe

cant wait for the next one..

Arrived today. First impressions - two full listens and some flicking - really great CD!! The only one I'm not really struck on so far is the Organismic track. Thought the intro of it was ace but after that I struggled with it a little. Time will tell. :Smile3:

Pretty much bought this on the strength of new Umberloid and though I don't think I will come to love it as much as I do Neon Tetra, Exit Chapel Perilous is a corker of a choon. I just adore that bass line. It's so deliciously funky. And the break around the 6m mark is gorgeous - the delayed kit...mwahhhhhh! Did I hear rumours of an album?? Oh my word...

I'm also really impressed with the Slackbaba track, even though there are melodies in there that sound like they've been generated by a child's Casio keyboard. But they seem to work really well with the digi vocals, and the overall trancey dub vibe. Can't wait to hear this one when I've had a smoke!

The Gaudi and Tripswitch track is just beautiful. Those 'top ends' as damion calls them are ear-ticklers if ever I heard them - they gave me goosebumps. It's a really deep track which I think will unfold like a flower the more I hear it.

And finally, special mention to Nagual Sound Experiment. @ Cameron :wub: - I LOVED this. 7/8 (4+3) is my absolute favourite time sig. Used to use it all the time in my own stuff - there's something truly magical about it I'm sure!! Aside from my joy at hearing 7 time, I also liked the percussion - very funky and clever. And the squelching around the 4m mark is lovely. You've even got some floaty pads in there, sweet analogue melodies...top stuff! Will be interested to hear what you come up with next.

Cheers Ross for speedy delivery. Wasn't expecting to receive it before the weekend; classy way to start the day. (with a hangover!!) XX

cameron-nagualsound said:
gwan then...what does everyone else fink then?

still playing all the time .....although i do have to skip past my track...hehe

cant wait for the next one..

Heyy !

Got my cd from chaosunlimited a nice compi..... I don't normally go for compi's unless they're ace, and this is not only ace, but Liquids' first chill album.

In short....

Highlight......Cameron... it is you....the track 'Chimera' is perfection. Been checking your sound samples @ triskelemanagement and I must say I am impressed. The samples, short tho they are, are sublime and can't wait for your cd to be in my collection.
Lolight...unfortunately Nick Manneseh.... nice track tho it is, is a little bit too housey & doesn't really fit in on the compi imo.

NSE... your album is due soon?

Love :wub:

wow....thanks guys. ...im honored to be on this CD alongside some of my fave my electronica heroes of all time....quite surreal to me to be honest!!!Chimera is the first released NSE track....after 6 years I wouldn't want it on any other label!! Thanks James!! Been there right from the start!

NSE album *Invisible Movements* aaaalmost done ...itll feature probably 3 or 4 songs from the samples list , the others will be appearing on comps and DVD releases as exclusives.....and also Mood Deluxe dancefloor psybreaks *Formless*nearing completion...

big up
Cam

cameron-nagualsound said:
wow....thanks guys. ...im honored to be on this CD alongside some of my fave my electronica heroes of all time....quite surreal to me to be honest!!!Chimera is the first released NSE track....after 6 years I wouldn't want it on any other label!! Thanks James!! Been there right from the start!

NSE album *Invisible Movements* aaaalmost done ...itll feature probably 3 or 4 songs from the samples list , the others will be appearing on comps and DVD releases as exclusives.....and also Mood Deluxe dancefloor psybreaks *Formless*nearing completion...

big up
Cam

Nice ! Well I hope 'Completely Sideways' features on the album. I hope too that your 2 albums are released in a hard plastic case, unlike SoulVibration. :P I'm just fussy like that. :Smile3:
My wealth of electronic dance/dub/ambient now spans 15 years, it's nice to hear some freshness now and then. Keep it up bod.

:wub:

digifrog said:
Nice ! Well I hope 'Completely Sideways' features on the album. I hope too that your 2 albums are released in a hard plastic case, unlike SoulVibration. :P I'm just fussy like that. :Smile3:
My wealth of electronic dance/dub/ambient now spans 15 years, it's nice to hear some freshness now and then. Keep it up bod.

:wub:

Completly Sideways is gonna be on Soul Vibration 002 by Tom Fu I think!
Cheers mate!

back to work!

hello there ....:::

so good to hear some feedback already on the album .... although there was some delays in the release of this album ... i think its worth the wait ... hope u all enjoy it... it was many years in the making ..... keep your eyes and ears open for soul vibration#002 compiled by tom fu .... will include exlusives form bluetech, eat static, system 7, OTT and all the liquid artists :::::::: well i look forward to reading more feedback ........ ::: solo artists albums coming soon on liquid records .. . . NSE-'invisible movements ::: Slackbaba - 'and the beat goes om' ::: Mood Deluxe - 'Formless' ::: Organismic - '?' ::: yeah ..... x

respect

james x

www.liquid-records.com
james@liquid-records.com

L8r_z x

james anthony said:
hello there ....:::

so good to hear some feedback already on the album .... although there was some delays in the release of this album ... i think its worth the wait ... hope u all enjoy it... it was many years in the making ..... keep your eyes and ears open for soul vibration#002 compiled by tom fu .... will include exlusives form bluetech, eat static, system 7, OTT and all the liquid artists :::::::: well i look forward to reading more feedback ........ ::: solo artists albums coming soon on liquid records .. . . NSE-'invisible movements ::: Slackbaba - 'and the beat goes om' ::: Mood Deluxe - 'Formless' ::: Organismic - '?' ::: yeah ..... x

respect

james x

www.liquid-records.com
james@liquid-records.com

L8r_z x

Respect repaid. After a small chat with Ross, please, please please release artist CD's in a hard plastic jewel case ! Especially Camerons and Slackbaba's.

Cameron

Could you perhaps give me a small list of the vst software you use? Thank you.

thanks 4 ya feedback digifrog ....::: the idea with the digipack is that it uses less plastic .... which i personally prefer .... ::: ideally we would be using hemp/other recycled papers n cards ... but at the mo its not sustainable - its at least 3x or more cost ....::: we will discuss it tho ..... nice 1 ..... x j

Back