vietnamese jew's harps

mr_cool

~~~~~~~~~
Reaction score
hello people, i am looking for jew's harps preferably from south east asia. i found my first one in australia at a trance festival and my wonderfully amazing girlfriend found me an even better one on ebay.

now basically i'm hooked. does anyone know anywhere to buy such an instrument? preferably not ebay.

thanks in advance

mr_cool

~~~~~~~~~
Reaction score
there are actually 2 different types of jew's harp, sadly at the moment i'm only interested in the ones taht look like girls' hairclips. i'll take a picture and post it soon.

mr_cool

~~~~~~~~~
Reaction score
it had a picture of of some that looked like a sort of D shape, that you play against your teeth my one plays against your lips

ichabod

Reaction score
There are a load more than 2 types... they seem to be made in almost every continent in various shapes and forms. You can get basic ones in music shops in the UK but they are a bit rubbish compared to nice handmade ones. Your best bet for a good one might be looking on line - pretty annoying though cause you can't try it out. Alternatively take a quick holiday to India,Nepal,Cambodia,Japan,Russia etc. (they seem to come from everywhere apart from the UK!) and get a nice handmade one :irolleyes

A

Andrea

If you can make it to camden town go past the market up towards chalk farm. Keep on the right side of the road and you bump into a music shop just past the market, it's a small shop run by oriental people, sorry my ignorance but don't know if vietnamese or thai or wherever they are from. They have the arps you are talking about. Well, hopefully, cause as ichabob says there are many types. But they are like hair clips and play on the lips rather than the teeth..

I love that sound
Good luck

dukas

molecular bio-driver
Reaction score
aah thank you too!
I've been looking for a replacement for the one I brought back from Vietnam a few years back. They are quite delicate and mine broke after a frantic session of overexcited playing. What a treat to get a new one, although theoretically similar to the "Jew's Harp" they have a vastly superior sound and range. :irofl: