Virus Ti integration...

Lazytom

imperialist running-dog
Reaction score
So I did something stupid the other day and bought a Virus Ti keyboard. I haven't slept since... it is an absolute BEAST!!!

anyways - the whole Total Integration thing is pretty dodgy on my system (12" Powerbook 1.25 Gig, M-Audio FW410, latest drivers and OS). The Virus Control plugin crashes Logic 7 when I try to edit automation, and when I run it in Live 5.2 I get all kinds of crackles and sound corruption... (and yes, I have played with buffer settings etc)...

Access and Ableton still haven't got back to me... in the meantime, has anyone had similar problems? Is my wimpy computer to blame or should I just wait for some soft/firmware updates?

ChrisCabbage

Forum Member
Reaction score
I don't get crackles etc. in VC / Seq mode, but the note on/off timing is extremely sloppy.

Seems to get even less on-time if I increase buffer settings on my sound-card.

I'm using it as a MIDI module at the minute and have it connected via s/pdif.

My PC setup is in my kit list: www.cabbage-leeds.org.uk/purushakit.htm

I have wondered if the timing is related to the fact that I'm running projects at 44.1khz, but when I'm connected to TI via USB, it's outputting at 48khz, and that can't be changed.

I've wondered if I ran at 48khz things would be better?

AEON

dipthong mong
Reaction score
do you get crackles and distortion for the entire Live set or just the virus parts?

if

BeatNik

DJohn Mustard Project
Reaction score
Yeah using a virus Ti as well :Smile3: ... for me it's working quite stably *touches wood a few times to be certain*

Works well with ableton
Works well with Nuendo (although it apparently isn't officially supported)

Only problems i get are some hanging notes and some mistiming of the Arpeggiator with Virus Control... thats about it though :Smile3:

Will be using it live tomorrow - i f*ckin' hope it'll work as well as it has been recently *hopes and prays*

ChrisCabbage

Forum Member
Reaction score
your mum said:
Could you please post a link to a few samples?
I can't find them on the cabbage site and can't asked to search any longer.

Pretty much all the recent material I've done is with O.V.N.I. (some in my studio, some in Pascal's), so because it's a joint effort, I can't put it online I'm afraid. Especially since it's done under the O.V.N.I. name.

What I meant was - I play live at Cabbage quite regularly with O.V.N.I. - that's me on the left.

I don't think there's much OVNI material online I'm afraid (certainly not the stuff I've worked on).

Beatnik - have you got TI working in seq mode properly?

BeatNik

DJohn Mustard Project
Reaction score
Well..

I use it via the USB, and the virus control works well...

In the sequencer i can write notes in, edit the patch etc. as well as record my own playing...

The only problems I have are, as said, the arpeggiator mode not timing properly (can be fixed by bouncing and then timing manually though), and hanging notes *panic button* - The rest works fine at the moment (hope this isn't jinxing anything *touches wood again*). Very little latency too....

Faction

Proto-col
Reaction score
Purusha said:
Pretty much all the recent material I've done is with O.V.N.I. (some in my studio, some in Pascal's), so because it's a joint effort, I can't put it online I'm afraid. Especially since it's done under the O.V.N.I. name.

Coward, I say, coward! :P So you're saying "I'd love to put a 2-minute clip of a couple of tracks online (as that won't jeopardise future releases and will give people an idea of what we're about) but Pascal only wants people to hear our music live, not in their homes."

Mate I'm sorry but I don't believe you!

ChrisCabbage

Forum Member
Reaction score
Colin OOOD said:
Coward, I say, coward! :P So you're saying "I'd love to put a 2-minute clip of a couple of tracks online (as that won't jeopardise future releases and will give people an idea of what we're about) but Pascal only wants people to hear our music live, not in their homes."

Mate I'm sorry but I don't believe you!

No, I didn't say that at all. Please don't put words in my mouth Colin.

I've asked Pascal before if he wants his stuff putting online - including samples, but he's declined. That's entirely up to him. I will ask him again.

Pascal sells CDs at gigs. I believe I gave you one when Voice Of Cod played Cabbage.

If I was such a coward, would I be prepared to air our material in front of hundreds of people at a gig?

I'm not in a position to tell Pascal what to do with the music he makes, and I only have part say when I'm involved in the process.

Faction

Proto-col
Reaction score
Of course you didn't say that, but that's pretty much the meaning of your reply to it!

FWIW, I believe you now though. :Smile3:

ChrisCabbage

Forum Member
Reaction score
I suppose so in a way, but it's Pascal's choice at the minute. I'd be more than happy to air some of our stuff. He's can be a bit of a Luddite at times, but loveable with it.

When I get to the point where I'm happy with the quality of the music I make on my own, I'll post some samples here. I haven't got to the point where I'm happy enough with my writing and production skills yet, but I am slowly getting better. I've mentioned it before, but I've plans afoot to work with some of my musical heroes this year (who've kindly agreed to have me work on a track or two) in a bid to improve things. Just looking for gaps in people's production schedules at the minute.

ChrisCabbage

Forum Member
Reaction score
Back to the plot...

Been trying to get note-on and off in some kind of reasonable time in seq mode, without any luck. They're not ever-so far off, but it's noticeable. Via midi is spot on!

Like I say, no pops and clicks in seq mode, it's purely the timing.

Lazytom

imperialist running-dog
Reaction score
Been sending MIDI clock data from Live 5 to the Virus Ti and the arps won't sync properly.... I've heard that the Live/Ti thing is much more stable on a PC... grrrr..... ah well - its still a BEAST!

ChrisCabbage

Forum Member
Reaction score
your mum said:
Ok. So if I go to Saikosounds, what do I put down to find your releases?

Search for "OVNI" (Pascal's project).

The track sample that is on Saikosounds (just looked - hadn't even thought about them!) is one of Pascal's older tracks: Fountain

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/show_artist.asp?artist_id=2827

I didn't help write that one, but have helped play it live many times. I bet even Pascal wasn't aware there's a sample on there. Wonder if there's another else with OVNI samples...? I might be able to use that as leverage to get Pascal to let me put some samples up somewhere. I'll text him now.

I can't actually listen to the sample at work, so I've no idea what it sounds like from that site

Edit: I've tried to download that sample and I think the link's dead. Will contact Pascal today and see if I can get permission to post some samples of maybe older tracks.