VJ Survival Guide

Evy

Junior Members
Reaction score
VJ Survival Guide

This course is for people seeking to capture a comprehensive first glance at the VJ scene, from its history, its tools, to managing VJ specific projects and budgets. Although no particular experience is required to join the class, a working knowledge of computers is essential, as well as a genuine enthusiasm for working with moving images in an experimental way.

Topics covered:

What is a VJ? A brief history of the past and present leaders of the VJ industry.

Different VJ scenarios: VJing within audiovisual sets, alongside a DJ or a band, for clubs, festivals and corporate brands

Looking at VJ tools: Demonstrating many examples of VJ hardware and software tools

Working with music: Finding visual elements that match with a musical track©ˆs rhythm, tone and narrative *

Building a demo: How to demonstrate your VJ skills within a 5 minute demonstration

VJing on a budget: Overlooking the production aspects of a VJ performance

Led by Olivier Sorrentino, International VJ. He has been voted amongst the world©ˆs top ten VJs of 2004 by DJ Magazine

Friday 14th October 10am-5pm
Cost £110, Conc £100

Enrol onlinewww.01zero-one.co.uk

Further Information:
01zero-one

Tel: 020 7025 1985
Email: courseinfo@01zero-one.co.uk

Hell, I would share all that information for free with anyone who asked
politely enough!!

yodhe said:
Hell, I would share all that information for free with anyone who asked
politely enough!!

Yodhe, please would you share some of your knowledge with me. Seriously, I have several computers, have had education in 2D and 3D computer graphics and animation (albiet 10 years ago), have a decent DV camera and editing software and have access to a video production suite and theatre. I also tend to visualise music, have a fair imagination and am an OK dj.

I'd appreciate some pointers in mixing visuals to go along with my music though. Maybe you should start a tutorial thread on here? I'm sure others would be interested.

Monkey DO, I am off for the weekend, but considering you asked so nicely.
Yes okay, I will do that, and I will share all my tips and tricks starting from
next week... But only cause you have such wondeful biscuits and tea here. :Smile3:

nice one jody - looking forward to learning what you have to share

Here's my first piece of advice.

GET YOUR EQUIPMENT INSURED....

Yesterday due to munted punter knocking over one of the stacks onto my
equipment, I lost quite a bit of equipment and found out this morning that
I was only partly covered. As a result my laptop was also oblierated which means
there might be a delay in getting the thread started....
Me... I am off to cry under the bed covers, so you all in a bit. (Mostly due to the
fact 90% of the DVD stuff was on said laptop, and I don't know what state
the hard drive is in.)

yodhe said:
Here's my first piece of advice.

GET YOUR EQUIPMENT INSURED....

Yesterday due to munted punter knocking over one of the stacks onto my
equipment, I lost quite a bit of equipment and found out this morning that
I was only partly covered. As a result my laptop was also oblierated which means
there might be a delay in getting the thread started....
Me... I am off to cry under the bed covers, so you all in a bit. (Mostly due to the
fact 90% of the DVD stuff was on said laptop, and I don't know what state
the hard drive is in.)

i hope it is recoverable mate - i keep another back up on a hdd for he purpose in my desktop

this sorry tale is also the reasom when i stage manage i am always telling tpeople to fuck off as it ensures we all go home with our kit intact for the next one - and it is one of many reasons why i dont have time to discuss the rights and wrongs of a simple 'fuck-off'

My second piece of advice, after being screwed around for four days, with
a replacement that is meant to be there in 24hrs....

DON"T BUY ANYTHING FROM PC WORLD, it isn't worth it!

Sounds to me like there could be a new section starting in the forum. Where are the inside us all lads they would have lots of advice to impart to it also.

I'm sorry to hear that your lap top got smashed up Jody. I hope you manage to recover the main of your work.

Okay and another piece of advice....

The KORG Cross4 is shit........ Not worth it at all, either buy yourself a second
hand mixer at half the cose, or pay the extra hundred for a edirol V4.

Hi Yodhe,

I have been looking at the Korg Cross 4 any reason why you say its pants , also what do you reckon of the entrancer as the audio pad's are ace.

Also am still using Arkoas for Live Performances tried Resolume on the PC but dont want to give up my Mac any suggestions !!

El C :Smile3:

Right problems on the Cross4....

The slider is only alright....
The controls for luma/chroma key are on the front of the unit, and totally
useless to use in a club environment (I know I was using one on Saturday).
The keying has really nasty edges to it as well, simply there is no point get
something that does luma/chroma keying unless it does soft edges. Otherwise
simply it looks shit on the screen.
Same goes for the wipes, and the additional inputs, all on the front, and
totally useless to get to...
I haven't had a play with the entrancer, I will let you know what I think if I do
get a go on one soon.

I thought maybe a mac version of 'resolume' would be made?.......

*sort of on topic*

A recent offer from work gives me the chance of buying a laptop interest free (ok....i've ordered it anyway cos i'll never save up 900 quid before crimbo:Wink3:)

It's a fugitsu 1437-g with a x700 ati graphics card, loads of stuff i think will be useful! anyone have any relevent input? or any input fort that matter.
I'mn sure it's gunna be ok for resolume and friends...but hey i've been wrong in the past!!

soons...john

Back