Voice Of Cod - We Are Free (Organic Records 2005) CD

DeathPosture

Fingering.Nuns.On.Mars
Reaction score
Voice Of Cod – We Are Free

voccoverc0ba1ve7qn.jpg

Artist: Voice Of Cod (UK)
Title: We Are Free
Format: CD (jewel case w/DJ case insert)
Label: Organic Records (UK)
Cat. #: ORGCD011
Distribution: Arabesque
Date: 26 September 2005

Track listing:

01. 09’53†Bubbles Of Nothing
02. 08’34†The Unknowns
03. 08’07†The Art Of Funk Shui
04. 10’15†Go Downtown
05. 09’06†Misinfotainment
06. 09’49†Bakelite Satellite
07. 07’54†Slysis Me
08. 07’23†It’s Just A Ride (Zuloop Rmx)
09. 08’57†Heart Of Gold

Review:

Cod almighty!

Organic Records strikes gold again! This time it’s the most anticipated and heavily hyped debut album by the dynamic duo Voice Of Cod from the UK… These guys shouldn’t need any further introduction, but oh what the hell, here I go anyway… Colin Bennun has been in the game longer than Goa Gil – his credentials include membership in famous acts like O.O.O.D., Unconscious Collective, Benefactor and Rotatum… To put it short, he’s a big shot! The other half is Mr. Andrew Humphries – Organic Records big cheese: A&R and DJ… We’re dealing with trance royalty here!

These guys hooked up in 2003 and since then they’ve graced us with a number of kick-ass tracks released mainly on UK labels… Every time I’ve reviewed a compilation with a VoC choon on it – it has been a stand-out track… So the level of quality consistency is really high with these guys – and I’ve been eagerly awaiting this album ever since it was announced… It’s hitting the stores a couple of weeks from now – let me give you the low-down on what to expect…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Bubbles Of Nothing
“Music is a great language that uses notes in a particular order to make the melodies we all love!†We lift off with a funky little number… Posford’esque cross-over intro with all kinds of earthly and extraterrestrial FX… Trumpets, cut-up voice samples and old-fashioned tweaking to the max… Garnish that with a bunch of digital farts and electronic burps and you’ve got one hell of a powerful, uplifting full-on track… Multilayered, wholesome, smile-cracking, groovy, melodic psy-trance… I can’t even begin to count the layers here – it’s so frekkin’ complex, but still so damn trance-inducing… A full-blown party-choon – and the best possible way to kick the album into gear… Sweet, sweet track!

#02: The Unknowns
“The message is: There are things we know that we know. The message is: There are things we don’t know!"The message is that there are known knowns. There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns; that is to say, there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things that we do not know we don't know. And each year we discover a few more of those unknown unknowns!†And here’s the infamous track – with the infamous, mind-boggling quote listed above… This track has a digital-tribal feel to it… Über-smooth and trippy as hell… We get melodies en mas here – reminds me of older Cosmosis at times, but still with a very 2005-freshness to it… A special mention goes to the drum-programming in this track - Even Boris Blenn couldn’t have done that better… Guaranteed to cause havoc on any trance-floor! Stellar track!

#03: The Art Of Funk Shui
“The art of funk shui is getting your groove in line with the groove of the universe. When your groove and the world’s groove are in line, anything is possible!†Get ready for the monkey track! As the title hints, this is another funky number ~ Subtle at first, but soon evolves into a massive, banging, psychedelic steam-engine… Twirling acid-lines, neo-hippie samples, monkey-business, old-fashioned melodies and general psychedelia all over the place… Another great cook-up by the Codsters… And there’s enough to go around for everyone… Tasty track!

#04: Go Downtown
Party’s getting started – time to head downtown… The liquid intro is froggin’ cool and the bassline is relentless… Check out the lengthy, yet cool voice-samples which fit the banging music like a glove… Full-on dancefloor fodder – crispier than a zillion biscuits… Melodic at heart, but with enough twists and turns to satisfy an elderly grumpy acid-freak as myself… Aciiiiiiiiid! Yeah – this must be the Cods tribute to the GNOTR… Stellar track!

#05: Misinfotainment
Half-way through the album and its misinfotainment time… The intro is minimal and old-school at first, but soon more and more layers and FX are revealed… And before you know it, we’re in full effect… A big old bouncy motherfucker of a track – bursting with energy and that ever sought-after quality that makes you climb the walls… A sort of darkish, paranoiac sensation that’s hard to describe, but fuck me if it doesn’t works on the dancefloor… Don’t get me wrong here, this is not darkpsy and the Codz are not dancing with the devil – this is just murkier than the rest… Quality underground trance to be played during the darker hours of the night… Listen to those high-pitched, stabbing acid-sounds and you’ll understand what I mean… The naïve voice-mutterings strike a hard contrast – and thereby creating a new, unique sound… I love it! Brilliant track!

#06: Bakelite Satellite
Orbital polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride! Guitar-driven intro – but not in the cheddar-like Skazi-fashion… A lot more work and consideration has gone into this… Another full-blow, propane injected dance-floor stomper… Again we’re in the darker realms – the pace has quickened and the stabs are lethal… Creating a monumental track of epic proportions… Seriously, this is the kind of stuff that DJ drops when they want to absolutely tear the place apart – just listen to the national anthem being shredded to pieces by a mean-ass guitar… Funny shit! Also the acid-ridden build-up & climax rubs me just the right way… A true corker if there ever was one!

#07: Slysis Me
The magnificent journey continues in the same breath-taking tempo – but we’re heading for more uplifting, melodic trance now… Allegedly! This music is not easily categorized… It’s no-questions-asked, multilayered, relentless, humorous psytrance – constantly changing direction and shifting pace… Satisfying to say the least and definitely trippy… A big phat wall of psychedelia – beautifully executed by the Codders… Will works wonders on any dancefloor – and at the moment it’s also stirring quite a riot in my living room… Another fav’e!

#08: It’s Just A Ride (Zuloop Rmx)
“The world is like a ride in an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it's very brightly coloured and it's very loud and its fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time and they begin to question: ‘Is this real, or is this just a ride?’ And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, ‘Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride’.†We open with a Bill Hicks quote – the psytrancers fav’e comedian! Zuloop is the new name for Andrew's solo project – which was formerly Mr. Biscuit. This remix was produced in his London studio and mixed in the Bristol Stooodio along with the rest of the album… We’re now back to melodic, uplifting, Codster trance – beautiful in all its epic glory – and super funky with all its suave pads… This is a close as these guys will ever come to progressive trance – without ever really crossing over… Pure analogue morning trance… A very sexy, mature track! Sweet!

#09: Heart Of Gold
Sadly all good things must come to an end… We start off with a bizarre hentai-geisha quote – which is soon brutally cut off by a funky rhythm section… This is more uplifting, highly unique Cod-trance which will fit perfectly in any morning set… Joyous, happy, smiling trance – very melodic and very soothing… A great little track and the perfect way to end a truly amazing album!

There is no doubt in my mind – this is the best album I’ve heard so far in 2005! And I’ve heard quite a few – including the Shpongle album! There’s not a single dull second here – high quality all the way through! In the words of the green nun Dick Trevor; ‘Fuckin’ aay! Awesome!’… That’s right; this is the shiznitz – an essential album for any trancer! People have bashed the cover-art, but I really like it in all its simplicity… Bow wow wow!

Everything reeks quality here – and we can thank the Codsters for that… They kept the VoC quality control inspector happy by keeping as much work as possible in-house: Andrew did the website; the album was mastered in the Stooodio by Colin and the artwork was also designed in the Stooodio by Colin along with the promotional flyers, stickers and magazine adverts…. And the effort has paid off – this is simply an amazing package! Enough babbling from me now… This is an instant classic! Start saving up – this album is released on 26 September and it’s essential for any fan of electronic music! Enjoy!

Favourites: 1(!), 2, 3, 4(!), 5, 6(!), 7, 8, 9 ← That’s all of ‘em!

DeathPosture
em-shodan2.gif

External links:
Voice Of Cod: http://www.voiceofcod.com
Organic Records: http://www.organicrecords.dsl.pipex.com
Triskele Management: http://www.triskelemanagement.com
The Unknowns video: http://tinyurl.com/8mwnh
Saiko Sounds: http://tinyurl.com/9u3m6
Beatspace: http://tinyurl.com/bp6n5
Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/aq9z7
Wakyo: http://tinyurl.com/9p7lu
Chaos: http://tinyurl.com/dtdkr

+ More online stores shortly…

Can't wait myself for my copy. The 3 tunes that i've heard were remarkable.
Good luck Colin and Andrew

Since Im way to lazy to write a review I decided to just say ; all-embracingly Wicked!!!!!!!

i've now heard it, and i love it, and when i say "it", i mean the whole package. i love the artwork; the sleevenotes are excellent, you get the key, the bpm and also a print out of the wave file for each track which is like having a map for them (and all this is on the cd case inlay too). and then there's the tunes themselves...love 'em all; there's enough variation in each tune to make them stand apart from each other, but they all have the trademark VoC intricacies and stand-out production qualities :Smile3:

Rub it in then!! some of us are still waiting for the shops to get it!! :Wink3:

psyreviews kneeled before the great porcelain telephone, straightened his back, thought of England and hurled:

Voice Of Cod
We Are Free
Organic (UK)

UK duo Voice Of Cod made serious waves with their We Are Free track in 2003. “That Drop†was talked about in hushed tones and caned at loud volumes, and while this album’s been a long time coming it certainly doesn’t disappoint. Bubbles Of Nothing kicks off, and instantly you remember why those early tracks got you so excited. The kick is smooth and chunky, less cumbersome than the bottomend on a lot of standard fullon. Here as elsewhere on the album, there’s a lot of yummy phasing on the sounds: they pan all round the room and beg you to crank the volume up. And, in true Cod style, the drop is breathtaking – from a clear, shining breakdown it plunges into the motherlode, an awesome riff that’s simultaneously clear and kicking, driving and smooth. The Unknowns hooks a Donald Rumsfeld sample and builds up a squelchy, spacious orb of sound around it. Once again the panning and filtering is top-notch; most noticeable in the breakdown, where a clean high-end synth is anally raped by a kicking, angry riff before dropping into pure London psychedelic goodness. The Art Of Funk Shui is one I’ve played so many times it’s like an old friend – but remastered here it sounds even more (cue bad kungfu pun) “punchyâ€. The lazy pitchbends drive it along, amid more comedy soundbites than the Montreal Just For Laughs festival... and THAT trouser-tightening melody that runs into the breakdown never fails to get the hairs on the back of the neck standing up. Go Downtown eases the foot off the gas a little, and takes its time to build itself up into a very wobbly, very m.d.m.essy trooper, which at +5 sounds like it could be released on a Parvati compilation. Misinfotainment sounds a little like a cleaner Cosmosis, with a great upward progression running up to a break that gives way to an unbelievable run. It’s magnetic – just… gah!! It sucks you in, it’s clean and it’s got that ‘plateau’ feel to it that’s so rare in psytrance these days. Bakelite Satellite is a cheeky one as well, more in keeping with the Voice Of Cod sound from previous compilation tracks that you’ll know. The mini-collapse into Star Spangled Banner, followed by a GW Bush sample, certainly gets the dancefloor giggling, and the electro-ey slowdown sound of the main break is smashing stuff. We’re talking silky-smoochy dancing here people, before it’s powerup time again and the launchpad flings you out into the chunkyverse: great samples, great acid, great stomping power. Fark. Slysis Me has a lumbering, pissed-dinosaur feel to it. Languid groove meets plinky percussion and holds the attention well, and the final riff is as big as the tits on a trucker’s wife. Just A Ride gets a remix here from Zuloop, and if you thought that Voice Of Cod’s high-watermark couldn’t get any higher, then think again. All the best bits of the original have been preserved and tweaked, but in such a way that when it’s mixed in, people will recognise it in phases. Additional topend melodies are spot on, and it just… well, you know what the original did. This one does it better. Finally, Heart Of Gold (again, nothing to do with Neil Young, dad) gets the cremaster muscle on overdrive once again, a great fusion of shitkicking at the bottom and fluid-melodic at the top. Which kind of sums this album up really – on the strength of this, they deserve to be promoted from the Championship to the Premier League. The sound may not be instantly accessible to those dancefloors hooked on music made by Israeli teenagers, but the depth and variety (not to mention the comedy) means this deserves to do rather well.

fantastic guys..... it really is an awesome album, a trully fresh sound with incredibly crisp production.

I am slightly purplexed by people saying they've heard it already.. hmm... there arent even any finished copies yet.... but ho hum, I assume you've either got friends in high places or high friends, in places.... but all good, all good

I'm in the process of moving house/ setting up a new studio etc, so I might dissapear for a bit except for the M.DM.A party this weekend, hope to catch some of you all down there!

Purusha said:
That'd be "Cabbage" - Cabbaged was Kit's record label...

:Wink3:

Will also feature Alex Paterson in the chill-out.

Oops... can't blame a man for getting a little confused, can you? :p

You're not the first Colin.

:Grin:

Actually - does memory serve me right: were OOOD on 'Cabbaged' at some point?

We had 3 12", some ocmpilation tracks and an album on Cabbaged; the very best of our music at the time went to Kit. He took the piss with payments though - innacurate statements, misleading us about sales - I'm incredibly paranoid about that even now; normally artists just have no way of verifying whether or not the label is reporting sales correctly, and the right to view label accounts once a year seems to have dropped off the bottom of contracts lately. Cheeky fucker too; while we were still sorting out the mess from the first album he had the chutzpah to ask if he could release our second... I told him we'd think about it when he'd paid us for our previous releases!

Damn, you got me ranting...

Hmmm. OK.

He's in no way connected to us I might add.

At the opposite end of the country too...

I 've ordered Voice of Cod, Dissolving Clouds & DMT amongst others all in the chaos top 10
I am getting coomercial ha-ha!!

Can't wait for the postman to arrive

I didn't even bother with them samples :Smile3:

Back