VST Spectrum Analysis

evilwill

definitely
Reaction score
hiya productiony types...

i've been getting more involved in eq'ing, compressing, mastering type things recently in an attempt to get a more pro sound to my stuff. (especially as it looks like i'm getting a track released soon, hopefully)

i'm wondering if any of you guys use a vst (or other) plugin to monitor outputs of different tracks / components within a mix to help with eq'ing, and working out what will go with what.

i know the age old advice goes 'trust your ears' but i'd be interested to see things in a more graphical way too - i think it would help me quite a bit.

so two questions really - anyone out there used this sort of technique and found it useful? also any recommendations for plugins to use? (as always preferably free! or at least cheap...)

cheers,

will

The waves bundle has a good analyser (not *quite* free though!) Also there is a useful free DestroyFX plugin (can't remember the name - have to check the website ) - > it shows you a graphical display of the waveform. Good for helping to get levels, compression, limiting etc right

I've always got 2 spectrum analysers running (one hardware, one software on the laptop), each giving a different interpretation of whatever is coming out of the speakers at the time. I agree, it is useful (to me) to have a visual perspective on sound, but you've got to be really careful you don't rely on them too much, and only use them as an adjunct to your ears.

If you can find it I thoroughly recommend SpectraLab as a stand-alone analyser. Sorry but I don't get on with the Paz analyser at all, and besides I resent having a monitoring tool eating CPU cycles on my music machine that could be used for another EQ...

Back