we use electricity even when we dont think we are!

Ant

Wily Bogle
Reaction score
>
>Whether you're looking forward to the FA cup final or not this weekend,
>here's a quick question to test you or your friends' knowledge?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>We are expecting a huge surge in demand for electricity when the FA Cup
>final finishes. What do you think causes this?
>
>
>
>A) Millions of kettles being switched on in millions of homes
>
>
>
>B) Millions of fans opening the fridge for more beer
>
>
>
>C) Millions of toilets being flushed in homes, pubs and clubs across the
>country
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Yep that's it answer C. Congratulations if you chose it
>
>
>
>The surge in demand is due to millions of toilets being flushed at the same
>time! Nothing to do kettles fridges or electrical appliances
>
>
>
>Crazy though it sounds, its because water is pumped to our homes using
>electricity so, when there is a demand for more water then more electricity
>is required.
>
>
>
>
>
>So using less water uses less electricity and creates less carbon emissions.
>
>
>
>green energy uk - Bringing you the facts about energy you didn't know you
>didn't know!
>

jamez_23

Blah
Reaction score
just as well i do my business in the garden then :Grin:

cheap fertilizer too !

TranceVisuals

Banned
Reaction score
Use a plastic milk containerr fill it full of water, and put it into your toilet basin, and viola everytime
you flush you will use a litre of so less....

Reconstructed

Reaction score
Sparklema said:
Yep. Used to do that with a brick at my last gaff, but have a walled in cistern now......:no:

Yeah don't do that with a brick. Bricks will be easily oxidized by water and all the little pieces of it will make hell in your plumbing.

Pixie Stardust

Junior Members
Reaction score
Just had to do looaaaads of electricity and energy saving work for my sociology a level, was actually pretty interesting!! Theres SO much you can do that'll make a difference! and most of it's common sence :Smile3:

Pixie Stardust

Junior Members
Reaction score
Ok
1) Shower don't bath
2) Put insulation round your water boiler, that way the water stays warm and you dont have to run lots of cold water before you get to the hot
3) Double glaze your windows - costs less in the long run because you can turn your heating down, plus by turning your heating down you save electricity
4) If you haven't got double glazing, hang heavier curtains during the winter - they keep the heat in
5) Only turn dishwashers / washing machines on when they're full
6) If you've got radiators underneath the window then tuck your curtains behind the the radiator to keep the heat in
7) Hang washing up / out to dry if its a nice day rather than tumble drying it
8) Only put the amount of water you're going to need into the kettle when you turn it on - don't fill it any more than you need to
9) Put a plastic milk container in your toilet basin
10) Put insulation in the attic, keeps heat in
11) Turn your thermostat down!
12) Don't leave the water running while you're brushing your teeth (Sounds silly, but think how much water that saves over about a month)
13) If you're doing the washing up - wash the glasses first, then the cutlery, then the plates. (again sounds silly, but because you're washing the most dirty things first you're less likely to need to change the washing up water)
14) If you're peeling spuds or carrots, use the water you've washed and peeled them in to water the garden
15) The whole common sense thing of turn your TV off when you're not watching it
16) " " " " " turn your lights off when you're not in the room
17) get a water butt, catches the rain and then has a nifty little tap so you can fill your watering can and water the garden - much better for the plants too!
18) Make a compost heap for all your veggie and garden waste - then in a few months time it turns into great compost for your garden! :Smile3:
19) Recycle everything you can - paper, newspapers, plastic bottles, glass bottles, cans, material, veggie waste
20) Walk / cycle wherever you can

Hmmm....thats all I can think up right now....

enjoy! :lol:

Reaction score
Pixie_stardust said:
13) If you're doing the washing up - wash the glasses first, then the cutlery, then the plates. (again sounds silly, but because you're washing the most dirty things first you're less likely to need to change the washing up water)

Surely the plates are more dirty than the glasses?

And yeh, everyone knows about long life bulbs but have carpets instead of wood/tile floors for better insulation and instead of turning the heating up, wear another layer. Im a sucker for this as Im addicted to my fan heater :?

And make sure to turn everything off, not just put it on standby. Ooh, and another way of saving water: when cooking eggs or pasta or something, dont throw the water away. Put it in something so it can be used again :Smile3:

Pixie_stardust said:
19) Recycle everything you can - paper, newspapers, plastic bottles, glass bottles, cans, material, veggie waste

Donate ur old clothes to charities instead of hoarding them at the back of cupboards.

Another thing....some things seem to drain batteries even when off. So take them out when not in use!

Pixie Stardust

Junior Members
Reaction score
ahem...oops...ok i meant 'because you're washing the cleanest things first...'

trust u to notice paf :p pfft

wavoo :p xxxx

zeromonkey

Monkey
Reaction score
Thanx girls, i've been looking for this kinda info for ages, you've got some ideas that i haven't come across on other websites.....

Kezpipa

rocks, oars
Reaction score
If anyone's heard of 'phantom power loads' , this refers to the little standby LED lights on your PC screen and radio displays etc. Having all these little standby lights on uses more electricity than you think, especially when you try adding up how many million there'd be in the world. Switch things off at the wall or on the unit when you can. You can make this easier by buying those power boards with individual power switches for each socket.

Screensavers don't actually conserve energy. When you leave your PC for a minute or more, turn the switch off on it. It's a hard habit to get into but it's one worth making the effort for.

Um yeah and I also am a firm believer in if it's yellow let it mellow...

:P and proud!

Biggins

Cake Or Death
Reaction score
use a kettle on a Gas hob instead of an electric kettle. gas is a primary power source, electricty is a secondary/tertiary power source (i.e. you gotta use a whole load of power to create the electricity to power the kettle but the gas is just gas (if that makes sense).