What chill out tunes?...

A

Andrea

...In an outdoor party, mid morning set?

I will play soon my first one and was thinking what to play. It'd be interesting to hear what you peeps here think :Grin:

:party2:

floatyhippyflower

Free spirit, lost soul.
Forum Supporter
What are you after? Super chilled 'I'm spannered' chilled? Or something more upbeat that people can move to if they still have energy from the night before??

You want to ask that OTT chappie, he's a member here and played a blinding set with SiPo at Glasto as Hallucinogen In Dub last year around the midday mark. It was really perfect weather for it too - all sunny and green.....maybe that's the kind of thing you should go for actually, some good dub/psydub that people can kick back and relax into or dance to if they like. What about Dub Side Of The Moon or the In Dub album itself?? In fact I would say anything by OTT or Shpongle would work well, though I'm not a DJ so speak in with a certain amount of ignorance really and perhaps they're obvious choices. What I will say is that my personal preference is for chill out so my opinion is offered from that perspective. I also go a 5 rhythms peer group where someone volunteers to provide the music each week for the hippy dancers. In the waves I've put together OTT's stuff has always worked really well in Flowing and Staccato and some of the less frenetic Shpongle has gone down a storm. I would also maybe have a look at Entheogenic (new album next month too if the date of your set is after then...). There's a really upbeat yet floaty little number I adore called 'Liquid Universe'.
You could maybe throw in some old classics such as one of the tracks from East Of The River Ganges or the Youth IN Dub album, both of which have some lovely chilled out grooves.
For something newer try VA - Chilling Goddess released this year by Peak. There are a couple of excellent psychill tracks on there, though most of them will probably be a little too 'shoe gazing' for a dancey set, but there are some nice dubbed out moments, such as 'You Are One' which is track 9 or 10 I think.

Good luck anyway. Chill out is the bollocks. I hope it goes well. 3;~

A

Andrea

Hey hey hey FHF, thanx for advise. Always nice to hear opinion from non DJs :Smile3:

I was actually thinking to play a dub set at first, yeah I love Ott and Shpongle, we all know what they do to us with their music :wub: . I also have some good classics, was also thinking to play some psy chill that would be trees friendly if you know what I mean :Wink3: and yes I'd like to play something to keep feets mashing up the mud a little but not too hard, innit.

Oldies is a good idea too mate, will defo do that. Guess I'll start with some super chill and progress to some upbeat and if things are right especially with the weather I'd progress to the dub side of the psy :Grin: :sun:
Must say you know your music quite well man, that's good, and yeah Entheogenic is on my favorites list :Smile3:

Wild mushroom soup is the nuts, what's yours? Damn, now that I think about it I was just dreaming I was preparing a carrots soup last night, how funny! hehe

BTW if you'd like to come I'll play at Misztifiedmind - Insomniak http://www.psy-forum.co.uk/psyforum_vb/showthread.php?t=28455 would be nice to meet you there.

Hey peeps any more comments coming? Still interested to know what you'd play or like to listen to in the woods, just out of curiosity..

ichabod

Bluetech are one of my favorites - gorgeous psy dub with a nice techy feel - a lot of the tracks are pretty bouncy as well - good for keeping people on their feet :o) I don't usually enjoy it much when the chill DJs go for spaced out ambient wierdness... keep it happy!

floatyhippyflower

Free spirit, lost soul.
Forum Supporter

Liz

Junior Members
NDY said:

I will play soon my first one and was thinking what to play. It'd be interesting to hear what you peeps here think :Grin:

Hallucinogen DUB may be in order, old but nice

A

Andrea

Liz said:
Hallucinogen DUB may be in order, old but nice

must say (please Mr Ott don't read this :Grin:) that although I like it and also blumenkraft album and all Shpongle ones, I try not to play them too often. I mean, they are all supa fantastic albums therefore I try not to overplay them as the temptation is too big (well think I managed not to upset him he he). But yeah I'll deff play some trax at some point as I wonder how does that sound under the trees and I have the feeling that it will be beautiful.

I don't think I will play any of my italian classics that sometimes I infiltrate in my sets in indoors, Almamegretta and 99 Posse usually are very nice but don't think outdoors.

About the rest, I'll keep it happy indeed Ichabod :Smile3: that's what I usually do at my sets.

Would you go more organic sounds or electronic ones, or some different balance then indoors?

O

Ott^

NDY said:
must say (please Mr Ott don't read this :Grin:) that although I like it and also blumenkraft album and all Shpongle ones, I try not to play them too often. I mean, they are all supa fantastic albums therefore I try not to overplay them as the temptation is too big (well think I managed not to upset him he he).

You bastard!!

*Stomps off in a right old huff..!*

JohnM

blah blah blah
NDY said:

Whatever *you* feel like playing - thats why you're playing!

:Smile3:

floatyhippyflower

Free spirit, lost soul.
Forum Supporter
Electronic (squides, psy, gates etc) with organic (real bass, nice sampling, instrumentation). Perfect outdoor.

A

Andrea

floatyhippyflower said:
Home made lentil and vege and/or anything with spinach in it.
Love lentil
floatyhippyflower said:
Another time perhaps, distance....money...kids etc. Good luck though 3;~
Thanx, you got twins WOW, next time i hope then :Smile3:

A

Andrea

floatyhippyflower said:
Electronic (squides, psy, gates etc) with organic (real bass, nice sampling, instrumentation). Perfect outdoor.

That's exactly what I was thinking of when I said a balance of both.

hahaaa kids and soup is not a good combination ah! :Grin:

A

Andrea

Ott^ said:
You bastard!!

*Stomps off in a right old huff..!*

hmmmm, which part of post you refering to :p

Really, best things must come in moderation for me or I would feel it spoils it all, innit. but that's just my opinion and they are my best 4 albums so far *leak leak*

:Grin:

Speakafreaka

Champagne Rouletter
If you are looking for something a bit trancier, try the Blue Planet Corporation's first album. It is well old now though.

Astral Projection - Ambient Galaxy (Disco Valley Mix) go on. You know you want to do it!!! '97 at it's best