What happens after you produce an album and why aren't there more threads about this?

psyberscenic Oct 1, 2017

1. psyberscenic

psyberscenic Forum Member

Threads:
    Hey all!

A little background...got into Psy through Goa about 11 years ago. Been producing for about 10 of those years--the last three were pretty much non-stop, and have frequented, what I think, are the major forums for psychedelic trance production (isra, psynews, reddit, facebook, psymusic, etc). One thing that I have definitely not seen really any of in all my time on these outlets is that next step after you produce an album--not just your first album but any album.

I've heard a lot of one-drop posts about "what record label would like this" or "check out my new album" etc, etc; however, these posts are both unfruitful most of the time and misguided in my opinion--for various reasons.

Given the climate of music consumption today, the various options for one could take for releasing music and staying connected with people who support you, and the gradual shift to a more horizontal, decentralized world in general, don't you think producers should have some kind of thread (pinned or otherwise--on any of these forums) that discusses options and avenues for what one could do with their project(s) considering their limitations and goals?

I feel like this would help a lot of people--new and old--if only because the landscape is ever changing for the old and can also be a bewildering process for the new.

What do you think?

2. Progressive Anarchists

Progressive Anarchists Forum Member

Threads:
    I think the behaviour of music consumption changed since you can have streaming flat-rates for small money.

Many people with an interest for alternative kinds of music including various styles of electronic music use a streaming service like Spotify or Deezer to search for music they already know at first and use the features to find similar music to find anything new what matches their interests. If you are an unknown artist, you have the big problem that the platforms never propose your music if anybody searches for music similar to anything else. If you promote your album anywhere in the internet, you do not solve this problem - even if you get a positive feedback.

Today, it is very important that your music becomes part of serious playlist and is played on internet radios. But this may also a big science to many people.

3. psyberscenic

Threads:
    Hey man. Thanks for the reply.

This is kind of an aspect of what I'm getting at. So, having your music featured on a serious playlist is, no doubt, a big aspect of getting your music heard in the current consumption climate. What I am looking at, as I, myself, am a producer, is all of the options that are laid before me to get my music into the hands of people who will enjoy it. There is, more or less, a known library of outlets for how you can do this--getting on a popular playlist being one of them; however, there are two key things to note: (1) the current climate is changing and evolving at a rate that should peak the producer's interest in paying attention to--today it could be Soundcloud...tomorrow it could be hearthis, etc. While some of these outlets remain longer than others (the playlist, as you mentioned) there are, no doubt, a thousand and one ways that a producer can get his music out there.

How many times have you heard of bands doing various promotional activities that are outside the norm? Psytrance is interesting to me in particular because there is a discrepancy of artists represented between avenues like Spotify and avenues like Beatport or "personal sale" models. There's a whole spectrum between the two extremes that offers different pros and cons for interacting with potential fans of your music. For psytrance in particular, there is a really interesting opportunity that I think warrants some attention: just throwing parties yourself. While parties have slowly cropped up over the world in the past several years, there's still a lot of opportunity to work with what you have, as a producer, offline.

I suppose my main point in this is that there are so many ways to release an album that it should warrant some discussion within the psytrance community as to what has worked for people, what hasn't worked for people, what people view as an interesting idea or opportunity, etc--especially given the changing climate of music consumption.

4. Progressive Anarchists

Threads:
    What do you think about physical media?

We composed songs to be downloaded for free without any commercial interests over years. Beside our own website, we historically provided them at Audiogalaxy, then at Twisted Sessions (both services don't exist anymore) and finally on Soundcloud. Last year, we had the idea to self-release an album on vinyl without being on a label. Beside the vinyl release, the album can be downloaded for free as everything before, but it is also available at the main streaming platforms. One of our motivation is to be also listened by people who usually do not search the internet for free music or prefer to have physical releases. Furthermore to get our own experience in self-distributing our music and (at first) to prepare our audio to be usable for a vinyl pressing. Another motivation to release on vinyl was that we think it is a pity that almost all labels matching our style of music stopped to release on vinyl around 10 years ago.

Beside Psytrance, I also like Space Rock, Acid Rock and other sub-genres of Psychedelic Rock. For the bands in these genres, it is quite normal to release not only downloads. Beside on their gigs, their music is often discovered when people go to a record store to pre-listen other records with a similar style. Regarding Psytrance, this way to discover new music became impossible.

Maybe, it is conducive to release physically too, but I am not sure.

5. psyberscenic

Threads:
    Honestly, I think it's one of those things that is just a dying breed. I think that the industry at large is holding on to it because there is still, for whatever reason, a market for CDs; but, in my opinion, this is just them trying to get as much as they can out of the medium before it becomes completely obsolete. If you think about it, individual file sales nowadays are like the CDs of the past--or are becoming the CDs of the past. As most people are streaming their music, the only people who really want individual, personal file downloads are people who can't get that music on those platforms (a lot of underground music), DJs (who need the hard copy for their collection), and people who want to contribute to the artist and just have a personal file on their system for either desktop or mobile use--for when not connected to the internet (which is the primary differential--apart from whether or not your music is on the streaming service of your choice).

As for vinyl, I think it's a really nice idea. I write 20-25 minute long compositions mostly so, naturally, the thought of vinyl for me is very enticing. The problem with this is kind of two-fold: (1) realistically, most people don't consume music through vinyl--so your market is pretty small (granted audiophiles would probably love this option); and (2) while I've heard that vinyl is "making a comeback," I don't think it will ever be as popular amongst the masses, or even amongst people in fringe genres, as simply streaming from your phone. So, in this sense, vinyl is great for audiophiles (who would genuinely appreciate and love it) and as a vanity item that you could just have or hang on the wall (signed by the artist, etc).

That's more or less what I think about physical media. This is kind of what direction my mind takes this in though...

So, given this is the state of most physical media, why not, as an artist, just expand your music (which is really your brand) into other forms of physical media? Like, in this day and age with the internet and specialization, you could just as easily have a line of t-shirts, or posters, or stickers, or what-have-you as you could a CD or a vinyl record; so, why not just do that? It's kind of like the "other way" to do physical media.

6. Full Lotus

Full Lotus Hob Nob King Staff Member

Threads:
    Off topic, glad to hear about that. There are a few of us on here like that :Grin:

As you were.

7. nab

nab Forum Member

Threads:
    Space rock, psychedelia, prog rock,world, electronica and ambient for me please.

8. Progressive Anarchists

Threads:
    @nab: Let us create a new thread in music discussion! This is not the topic here.

@psyberscenic / all: I am a studio musican like many other people producing electronic too. Currently, I am promoting a self-released album and one interesting question to me I got asked not only one time was: Do you have gigs? This sounds a bit crazy but with the equipment available today, there are versatile possibilities to play electronic music live. Maybe it is a good point to get more practice in live performances - maybe with other people in a band with the goal to play on concerts. Electronic music is not just studio music that needs to be composed using DAWs today. The technical possibilities exist.

9. nab

nab Forum Member

Threads:
    Do you prefer boiled potatoes to mashed potatoes?

10. bez23

bez23 Adverse camber

Threads:
    I've been all about mash recently. Kate grew a stonking great pile of perfect spuds for mashing on the allotment this year. We're normally a rice-based household, but damn, those spuds make good mash.

11. nab

nab Forum Member

Threads:
    That's a very interesting point and one that deserves further exploration. What type of potatoes are they and could you rate the creaminess of the mash on a scale of one to ten?

12. bez23

bez23 Adverse camber

Threads:
    She reckons they were Charlotte something-or-others. Organic ones from seed potatoes. Right up there on the mashometer - I'd say 8 to 9. They did prove too dense for roasting, but mixed with a splash of milk and butter - mWAh! Bob on.

Anyway - you've had a bunch of albums released. What happened after? Is it all groupie chicks and a raging coke habit now, or did you just crack on scratching the creative itch and focus on the next album after that?

I still listen to your first album y'know.
    How cool is that :Good:

13. nab

nab Forum Member

Threads:
    Wahey! Dryad's Bubble! Talking about older stuff I'm thinking about releasing a mini album of earlier stuff actually (just free on bandcamp like).

The guys above have made very good points above and I'm the worst person to ask how to cut through all the digital music swamp. I don't have a you tube or soundcloud site. It's like the dead marshes isn't it? We need a Gollum to lead us through it.

In terms of what happens for me in between releases. Well, no coke habit, just a normal life. Job, making music when it feels right, a few gigs here and there (some special, some not so special) a few quid from downloads now and then which keeps me in music gear. That's it for me.

Apart from the constant bloody blowjobs from ambient chickadees.

14. Geoglyph

Geoglyph Forum Newbie

Threads:
    Dryad's Bubble! What an album.

With regards to physical media: I think things should be a lot more flexible now. What's curious is that we still have to print CDs in massive runs of like 500, whereas we should be able to cheaply and easily make one-offs for people who want them.

15. nab

nab Forum Member

Threads:
    Cd runs can be done in batches of as low as 100 now although you have to sell at a decent price to make money back. Check out Mobineko. This is who Ishq / metamatics / Experiments in Silence use.

16. nab

nab Forum Member

Threads:
    Cd baby do one off printing i think?

17. Continuum

Continuum Throb Farmer

Threads:
    I think if you produce an album (or whatever) these days, and you're not already known then you should abandon any idea of making any money out of it.
    However since my album came out, I've made loads of new friends and contacts, had some excellent gigs, and generally had my world greatly expanded. Didn't make a fucking bean out of it really, but realised that wasn't really the point - I've had more than enough encouragement to continue writing, and I'm pretty sure that whatever I do next will be quite well received and probably expand my world a little more :Smile3:

And artistic satisfaction too. That's a big thing for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • List
  18. nab

nab Forum Member

Threads:
    Yeah meeting other folk online. Listeners / fellow producers all steadily become friends. Also the sense of contributing to art, squaring the circle, scratching the creative itch. Although I haven't achieved success in the normal external sense I do have an internal sense of satisfaction, that I've honed a skill. That's a good thing in life I think, no matter what area you choose to do it in. Electronic music can be a tough mistress sometimes but she's worth it (the sexy bitch).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • List
  19. psyberscenic

Threads:
    So i just kind of took it upon myself to explore the subject a bit more. Wound up starting an article chain on it. It might not be useful or relevant to some of you but if you know somebody who could benefit from taking a read, pass it i along :Smile3:.

http://psyberscenic.com/ChroniclesOfTheIndieMusicianVol1A.html

20. Continuum

Continuum Throb Farmer

Threads:
    So, in conclusion: you're not going to make a living from psytrance.

I would suggest that if it's a living you're after then drop the music and teach yourself Java programming.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice