What monitors?

Continuum

Throb Farmer
Reaction score
WOW! I love my Adam 7s! :Smile3::Smile3::Smile3::wub:

Fucking hell yes.

I just bought a pair of F7s this morning and I'm going thru some old tunes to see how the mixes I did on my old monitor1's translate.

Wow. I can hear all this new stuff.

NEW SPKRS FTW!

(My old amp and speakers are available second hand for a very pocket money price. Terms and conditions apply.)

Martian Arts

Forum Member
Reaction score
Alesis M1 argh no.

IMO.
They are "ok" as they are so cheap. They are more of a "hi-fi" speaker than proper monitor. They do colour the sound a lot, but I still use them.
922234_605031659508416_305875811_o.jpg

...especially because I have found a level where I need to get a certain amount of bass without the speaker distorting. Something that has helped me a great deal with mixes.

Stackridge

Forum Member
Reaction score
Not massively in love with my Adam A7x's. They're good and very nice to listen on but they're not being completely frank with me.

Try some of these:

yamaha_ns10m_main.jpg

And one of these:

4bsst.jpg

Now you can hear what's really going on.

psyfi

Pie Fly
Reaction score
I think it has something to do with the bass on NS10s I'm only referencing them against my Alesis but with a bass response that doesn't go all the way down in to the center of the earth swamping your view I can hear whats going on in the more vital areas of a mix. Yet I'm still able to mix bass on them with confidence. Never felt the need for a sub. I keep the Alesis to A/B so I can check it translates OK to another system which it always seems to. Fuck me the Alesis are shit, but still I've a soft spot for them. which is a pretty apt description of there bass sound.

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
Reaction score
Now you can hear what's really going on.

Actually, and as an avowed fan of Yamaha monitors - that's not *strictly* true. The NS10 and HS series have a pronounced "bump" in the middle of the Fletcher-Munson curve to highlight tricky areas of the mid-range. The MSP series (which I use) have a similar bump, but it's marginally less pronounced. I guess an analogy would be like looking at a photograph with a small magnifying glass over an area where you need to see more detail.

But then why am I telling you something you already know? Female eh? Sneaky. How long have you been in transition? :P

J.

Speakafreaka

Champagne Rouletter
Reaction score
The other thing I have been told (although don't know for fact) is that whatever the errrr ... less attractive points, the transient response is shit-hot in NS10s

Now, I don't know how other people feel about this but I know getting well mixed uppers - where all the transients are is the key to a polished sounding mix often for me, and in particular having to do as little eq work to get there as possible.

So this (more than great bass amplitude) is my first criteria. Which can be counter-intuitive because this information can be very tiring on the ear, and I don't enjoy listening to audio like this.

Anyhow - that is what I would look for in monitor's ultra precise transient response and a lack of 'wallowing' bass.

Stackridge

Forum Member
Reaction score
...the transient response is shit-hot in NS10s...

That is true but it isn't just reproducing the upper frequency transients at which NS10s excel.

It's a common misconception that they're useful despite their low-frequency characteristics.

For me, it is the low-end response which makes them most remarkable and this is down to the rapidity of their LF transient response.

Ported speakers, due to their design, can be made to reproduce the lower octaves comparatively louder but at the expense of a kind of 'smearing' in the LF.

Compared to the NS10s, my Adam A7x's sound muddy and indistinct in the low end. Kick drums sound big and woolly, basses more 'approximate'.

The Yamahas [crucially] respond much faster and cleaner to LF transients and ultimately give you a much clearer idea of what is going on down there.

it is really dependant on your amplifier though. If your amp can't supply the impetus, your speakers can't push the air.

Speakafreaka

Champagne Rouletter
Reaction score
Ah, that's exactly it. It's that wallowyness in the bass I can't get on with I was talking about. I like really tight 'fast' bass - I don't trust it otherwise. Guess basically we are talking about phase smearing.

I mean to listen to I much prefer big and wallowy. But to make music on I need it tight. I hate it, but I understand it.

Stackridge

Forum Member
Reaction score
There's a lot of money to be made selling hi-fi speakers to people and calling them 'monitors'.

Speakafreaka

Champagne Rouletter
Reaction score
I still use my Sony hi-fi speakers ... I'll be sure to let people know when I can't hear the differences they can :Wink3:

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a pair of big sexy monitors, who wouldn't - but ... I can mix on these. I'm pretty sure anyone else could too, end of.

Stackridge

Forum Member
Reaction score
You always know it's bullshit when somebody finishes their post with "...end of."

Or "Simple as that."

psyfi

Pie Fly
Reaction score
That is true but it isn't just reproducing the upper frequency transients at which NS10s excel.

It's a common misconception that they're useful despite their low-frequency characteristics.

For me, it is the low-end response which makes them most remarkable and this is down to the rapidity of their LF transient response.

Ported speakers, due to their design, can be made to reproduce the lower octaves comparatively louder but at the expense of a kind of 'smearing' in the LF.

Compared to the NS10s, my Adam A7x's sound muddy and indistinct in the low end. Kick drums sound big and woolly, basses more 'approximate'.

The Yamahas [crucially] respond much faster and cleaner to LF transients and ultimately give you a much clearer idea of what is going on down there.

it is really dependant on your amplifier though. If your amp can't supply the impetus, your speakers can't push the air.
That clears up why I can still mix bass on them then. Running them of my QUAD 306 seems to give them a enough welly to do the job

psyfi

Pie Fly
Reaction score
I'm also seriously considering a7x to replace my krk rp8 g2s,but all this talk on yamahas have me doubting. What could be a good amp to drive the yamahas with?
To be honest I've used some yamahaMSP5s and the characteristics of the NS10s is not carried over. The response of the larger HS series are much falter and akin tot he more common monitors out there. Impressive bass levels.

In comparison the NS-10s sound narrow and boxy but to my ear they sound right. I flick over the the Alesis and then someone wraps my head up with a couple of pillows. I think NS10s will through most people who have grown up on the current fair of near fields.
Still if you wanna buy some ebay it is. and studio spears still produce replacement bass drivers and tweeters.

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
Reaction score

Interesting you should say that, because Yamaha's HS range - which they tout as the official successors to the NS10 - are actually ported at the rear. Does that mean that in your opinion they've shot themselves in the foot?

To be honest I've used some yamahaMSP5s and the characteristics of the NS10s is not carried over.
They sound different, but the pronounced mid-range characteristic is still evident (if somewhat subdued in comparison).

J.