What monitors?

Speakafreaka

Champagne Rouletter
I edited my post - feel it covers your point.

In short, I can hear the differences between my mixes and other mixes on my current monitoring. Difficult to blame the monitoring there really.

Stackridge

Forum Member
I can hear the differences between my mixes and other mixes on my current monitoring. Difficult to blame the monitoring there really.

I don't understand what you're saying.

I can hear differences between mixes on Apple earbuds. Doesn't mean they're any use for mixing records.

Speakafreaka

Champagne Rouletter
I don't understand what you're saying.

I can hear differences between mixes on Apple earbuds. Doesn't mean they're any use for mixing records.

I'd disagree there. I've used them as reference. Everything is worth a go.

If I can hear that my mix is not as well mixed as another mix on the speakers I have here, and I know that this third party mix works well on many different systems, then the logical position to take is that my mixing skills are to blame, not my speakers. I can hear the difference - I need to learn what that difference means. When I can no longer hear the difference, then it's time to blame the monitoring system.

As I say, works for me so far.

Speakafreaka

Champagne Rouletter
You're a better engineer than me.

For now.

What you define as 'right' is more accurate than what I currently do. I don't believe that's monitoring, I believe it's mix nous.

I'd love to have the money for monitors but I don't.

Stackridge

Forum Member
You're a better engineer than me.

How do you know? You've never watched me work.

I'm not just trying to pick a pointless argument here, Seth. You have known me long enough to know when I'm trolling and I'd be unlikely to be doing that in here.

I have been sitting in studios for 23 years though, and I can tell you there is a world of difference between mixing on hi-fi speakers and mixing on studio monitors. You're probably a way better engineer than you think you are.

Being able to detect a difference is meaningless - you need to be able to hear that difference, interpret it and correct or embellish as applicable.

And I guarantee your Sony hi-fi speakers are giving you less than half of the story. How can you fix what you don't know is there?

I'm virtually certain I couldn't turn out a convincing, translatable mix on your setup.

When you get your first decent pair of monitors you'll be like me over the whole Mac / PC thing.

PC snob for years and years and years, absolutely convinced Macs were overpriced shit that I didn't need.

Then I got a MacBook Pro and my life changed immeasurably for the better. I now have two iPads, two iPhones, two macBook Pros and the iMac I'm typing this on.

And Steve Jobs' face tattooed on my helmet.

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf

You're such a git when you want to be!

Proper monitors aren't a luxury item if you're in the business of mixing records. Which you are.

Now - to give Seth his due, I've never known anyone spend as much time and effort getting his ability to mix in cans as good as he does. The results he gets are bloody good. On the other hand, his tracks have always had something of a "scooped" feeling sonically, which I have hitherto been unable to tell whether that was deliberate or not. The work he's done with Alan on the other hand sounds like the sonic equivalent of a Technicolour kaleidoscope, so I have to wonder whether there's something in what you say.

J.

psyfi

Pie Fly
Knowing your system and having the best tools are part of the same solution. neither is of any good without the other. Seth can turn out mixes on his set up But 'for what ever reason in my eyes' is reluctant to upgrade to a system that once he's learn will give him so much more sight in to his sound. I mixed on hi-fi speakers at first. I'm sure many people did or PC speakers what have you. Up grading isn't about saying. Right I've got the proper big boys toys now. It's about taking off the boxing gloves to tie up your shoes no matter how well you have been able to learn to do you shoes up with them on.

If your hi-fi speakers died a death would you find new hi-fi speakers or looking i tot he near field market Seth? Are you adverse to monitors in principle or just really like your current set up for what ever personal reasons?