What monitors?

I have mixed on monitors before - the same model that Colin has I believe - very fine monitors by all accounts. Truth be told I was extremely confused by them. My overriding feeling was - I need to spend a year or two getting to know you.

Your mixes sound better than mine here. I can hear you've handled the mids in your percussion better, and dealt with compression with more finesse than I do. I don't feel I need better monitors to emulate that, just get better with the tools at my disposal. I'd say mainly you are much better with compression than I am. Do you use hardware here out of interest? Would be better for my self-esteem if you said yes :Wink3:

Joe in terms of that scoop, Alan can verify this too, I am aware of an issue in my monitoring chain circa the 100hz - 250hz area. I have pretty much isolated this, and I'm learning it. In terms of the final mix sound on our stuff - all credit goes to Alan, I'd say he has a better eye for detail than me, he does the mastering et all and finesses most of the stuff - however, I would say that when the mood takes me I can micro-tweak with the best of them, it's something I actively try and avoid these days. I far prefer to not apply EQ wherever possible :Wink3:, gain is nearly always the better choice, unless something is being forced into the mix which sometimes has to happen :Wink3: . So yeah, the scoop is going going gone. It was a combination of a flawed mixing strategy compounded by the point where the port on my speakers kicks in. I've learnt it, it's no biggie, just took time.

Alan, if my speakers died atm, I wouldn't be looking to replace them. Of course, in keeping with the point you are driving at, yes undoubtedly, I would prefer nearfields. But given the choice *1 mix for your life* I would take speakers I knew over monitors I didn't. Right now, if they died, I'd be obliged to mix on headphones exclusively. But I've done that before, and I can make that work. I do have very good headphones. I know Stackridge thinks they are the plague and fair enough, but they are very very detailed, albeit suffering from the same issues any pair of headphones suffers from.

As for mac, yeah, I like OSX too and run Logic every so often - can't say it gives me any problems here. Joe - *shh* :Wink3:

Alan, if my speakers died atm, I wouldn't be looking to replace them. Of course, in keeping with the point you are driving at, yes undoubtedly, I would prefer nearfields. But given the choice *1 mix for your life* I would take speakers I knew over monitors I didn't.
Cool. I was just trying to determine if we were dealing with stubbornness here something else. Glad it's something else. If you system did go I would say replace them with some near fields, and yes, get to learn them. It's not time lost, its experience gained. Nobody it going to make you mix for your life. outside of a very strange sc-fi story of some kind.
A for my 'ear for detail'. this might be attributed to me knowing my NS-10s both in this environment and for a few years before in another. At first the confused me to when I would bring my mixes in to check on them at lunch times. EQ wise I like to keep things very simple and use broad strokes. if you see any fine detail work it's because I've used a spectrum analysis to look for week areas in usually a drum sound and then pulled that back and A/B to see if the effect has been positive. If that area is not doing much for the sound then why have anything there when those frequencies could be occupied by another sound that would make use of that space. So that's less an ear for detail and more just a logical process and about the only thing I use spectrum's for out side of synthesizing drum sounds to match the key of a bass sound but I do pop them on the master out when squashing to fuck...sorry mastering.

Ahh you see, we both are advocates of the broad brush approach on the EQ front, what I meant was that your broad strokes to my ears do a better job of getting the audio correct then my broad strokes. That to me is reall finesse. Like drawing really well without lifting the pen off the page. I don't think that's monitoring as such, I think that's just plain old skill. One of the things I had noted was that neither of us was going mental on the EQ. This to me is key to getting a good mix.

This was a fun read.

I'd just like to point out that I have now posted on this thread under three different identities.

Jizz.

I don't know how they stack up to the others as I only heard a few active monitors when I was looking for some though I was looking for something that sounded flat and truthful. With that in mind I ended up getting PreSonus E5 for my small studio for the money I'm really happy with em what!

https://www.presonus.com/products/Eris

and during times where I can't have them I use a pair of Sennheiser HD650s (through reasonable D-A pre amps in the Focusrite Saffire pro.

I'd just like to point out that I have now posted on this thread under three different identities.

Jizz.

I'd just like to point out that I have now posted on this thread under four different identities.

Spunk.

Does anybody have any experience with APS Klasik or Eve SC207/208 monitors?
I've had Neumann KH120's for just under 3 years now and have come to the conclusion they are just not fun to produce with - the mids and highs are amazing but the lack of bass leads to a lack of feeling in producing and listening to music which has not been so good.

Am seriously considering putting them up for sale and getting a pair of the aforementioned ones

Last edited:
Not me mate, soz. I'm myself in the market for new monitors, although I'll probably need super-mini, table top size as I'm gonna have to downsize soon. If you want bass, my KRK RP8 G2's will be up for sale. You'd have bass coming out of your ass. At the cost of mids and highs. Nowhere near as posh as those you're after tho.

Not me mate, soz. I'm myself in the market for new monitors, although I'll probably need super-mini, table top size as I'm gonna have to downsize soon. If you want bass, my KRK RP8 G2's will be up for sale. You'd have bass coming out of your ass. At the cost of mids and highs. Nowhere near as posh as those you're after tho.

My mate has a pair of these which are compact and they sound good. They only go down to 62hz though

Last edited:
Aye, that's the sort of thing I'm after. I'll proper ask when the time comes. Don't want to hijack your question even more.

I have the Alesis M1 Mk2 active monitors and feel that they arent quite right for me.
Have been thinking of buying the Genelec 8030A monitors.

Can anyone give me some advice on monitors that would be good for a home studio?
Heard that the Genelec 8030A are really good and having listened to them i like the quality of sound. Are the 8040A that much better and so worth the price difference?
I want my monitors to last as i progress, dont want to be buying new ones again in a couple of years.

I would use them for making a range of music styles but particularly psy and chillout.

Can anyone give me some advice on my options?
I have the 8030C and they are magnificent!
Excellent frequency response, stereo imaging, clarity, accuracy and tightness of low frequency content.
And LOUD!!! how they manage it out of such a small enclosure is nothing short of sorcery :Smile3:

Back