What monitors?

edwardbernadotte

Junior Members
Reaction score
I have the Alesis M1 Mk2 active monitors and feel that they arent quite right for me.
Have been thinking of buying the Genelec 8030A monitors.

Can anyone give me some advice on monitors that would be good for a home studio?
Heard that the Genelec 8030A are really good and having listened to them i like the quality of sound. Are the 8040A that much better and so worth the price difference?
I want my monitors to last as i progress, dont want to be buying new ones again in a couple of years.

I would use them for making a range of music styles but particularly psy and chillout.

Can anyone give me some advice on my options?

genelecs sounded great when i listened to 'em - if i had the cash i would've bought them on the spot.

in the end i went for wharfedale diamond 8.2 pros. they're probably in the category below the ones you're looking at, but i compared them to closely-priced rivals (alesis, msp3s, tannoys) and thought they were the 'best'. obviously the hardest thing to gauge (yet sadly the most important) when browsing monitors is what they'll be like to live with & to work with every day...

but i'm sure there will be forumers with the 8030s who can help :Smile3:

good luck!

I haven't personally listenned to them yet, but I've heard some very good things about the new Tannoy 'Precision' range of monitors. At the moment, for some unknown reason, turnkey are selling the 6D's for £399.99, a massive £400 off the RRP... I wish I had a job...

Tannoy P6D Active Studio Monitors (turnkey.co.uk)

i have genelec 8040a and im sooooo happy with them.... one of my friends use mackie hr824 and i think its subjective what is best... i really like the genelecs for their precise sound and extremely good stereo reproduction.. i think of them as a tool, not speakers :Grin: .... one day i would like to by a sub for them, not that it lacks low end, but to get more close to the frequency range of a PA, which is where the music will end.... and ohhh... they are really nice looking too.....

The 8030a is too small i think, you would buy new ones in a couple of years.

But have a listen for yourself, with music you know well, at the store.... or better get them home for a listen if possible...

My best advice: Your monitors are the most important piece of equipment.

One of the reasons I went for the HR624s (a couple of years ago) is the bottom-end frequency response.

The specs say: 52Hz to 20kHz, + 1.5 dB.

They have a decent bass response without the necessity for a sub.

I do have a Genelec Sub in reserve, but to be honest - I hardly use it these days. I usually roll off at just under 50Hz anyhow.

But with headphones you don't get the natural room reverb that's really important when working with stuff in the bass and sub-bass register. It's also harder to judge relative levels in the hi-mid and high frequency regions due to the way the human ear works.

J.

Yeah you're right. But a pauper student like me just has to imagine the reverb and levels!!! I find if I burn my track onto CD, then run around to various mates houses and try it on enough systems, you get a nice rounded view of the track which can often be a very good way of telling how you want it to sound.

I'm talking with a very tight budget in mind here. Hopefully when I get a proper job I can buy myself some posh monitors, some hard synths, midi keyboards etc etc..!!

Hardware synths aren't really all that and a bag of potato chips these days - especially if your machine's fast enough (2GHz+).

I used the same method you did (along with a beat-up set of hi-fi speakers that my ex-gf's dad was throwing out) while I was unemployed after Uni. Apparently both Hallucinogen and the first Shpongle LP were mixed on a set of very beat-up old hi-fi speakers. Ott^ uses a mid-'90s ghetto blaster that he got for fifty quid.

Speakafreaka does a lot of his work on cans, and I salute you both for doing so - I just can't keep it up after a while... I need to physically feel music! :Wink3:

J.

After some fiddling with the tunes on my Hifi (plugged into the headphone socket on my dirty slow laptop!!).. I then give it a run through with my headphones (this way I can hear for any dodgy production/clipping etc)..

..Finally when I think it's ready I go down into our basement (living in a student house of 7 people, so we've built a nightclub down there!) turn on all the UV lights and whack it out of the 1.5k rig set up down there! Then I can finally feel the music!!! LOVE IT!

Ok..i should be ready to buy some monitors in a month or so but am a lil concerned about my lack of money! i rekon ive got no more than £200 to spend..are second hand monitors a good/bad idea? and shop seconds? otherwise new monitors for £200 any recomendations?

Thanking you

Ruskin said:
I haven't personally listenned to them yet, but I've heard some very good things about the new Tannoy 'Precision' range of monitors. At the moment, for some unknown reason, turnkey are selling the 6D's for £399.99, a massive £400 off the RRP... I wish I had a job...

Tannoy P6D Active Studio Monitors (turnkey.co.uk)

ummmm mate the price you mentioned is for a single monitor!!!

If i was you i would wait and save.
I just spent a whole lot of money on my new Mackie HR824s and they are worth every penny. They sound so good.
Only thing is i am working so much now that i havent really had any time to make music on them.
Having had £250 speakers before i can really appreciate these ones. It is definately so worth waiting. I was silly not have saved up in the first place to buy the Mackies. The £250 i spend was a complete waste of money cos i will never see that money again.

Stitch said:
If i was you i would wait and save.
I just spent a whole lot of money on my new Mackie HR824s and they are worth every penny. They sound so good.
Only thing is i am working so much now that i havent really had any time to make music on them.
Having had £250 speakers before i can really appreciate these ones. It is definately so worth waiting. I was silly not have saved up in the first place to buy the Mackies. The £250 i spend was a complete waste of money cos i will never see that money again.

What he said.

Rather than start a new thread i thought i'd ask here..

I was reading a review for the New tannoy reveal 5a & they received a really high score..They're priced at 300 pounds so price is pretty decent too..I was wondering if anyone owns these & would recommend them?

http://www.tannoy.tc/Reveal5A

I think the Tannoy Precision 6s are meant to be very good for only £200 at the moment. Although I wouldn't buy them!

About the Genelecs, the difference between the 8030s and 8040s is the latter go a bit lower in range, hense the price, but I wouldn't bother with these but go for 1030 range. These genelecs are some fo the best monitors around.

I would buy Genelec 1030/1 or Emes Pink/Violet. At the moment I use 6" KRKs, which have recently updated their whole range, they are really superb and reaonably priced. The sound is round and punchy.

Basically if you need something straight away you could buy Behringer truths for about £100 I think, then £300 would get you something a bit better! But I would look to spend over and above £400-800 for genelecs/krk/emes. Consider the cabinet when looking too, thes deisgn of my KRKs cabinet really helps with the bass.

Back