Top 10 Whats the definition of a bass player?

Uhh - it was Noel Redding (bass) and Mitch Mitchell (drums), prior to 1969, when Redding left and Hendrix formed Gypsies, Sons and Rainbows (for Woodstock, with Billy Cox and Mitch Mitchell) and later Band Of Gypsies (with Billy Cox and Buddy Miles).

Bacchanal - Jimi only overdubbed one bass part that I know of, and that was 'All Along The Watchtower'. Redding didn't play on that one due to a blistering row they had earlier, so one of the engineers stood in for the live take...

[/g33k]

J.

all your bases......

I'd define it as,

'something a complete arse wanted me to be in his idea of a band'

without of course involving or otherwise insulting anyone that plays bass or makes the instruments.

I have thought long and hard, months infact before answering this one.

I'd say a little known jazz bassist called Barre Phillips is my definition of a bassist.

here is a sample track for you all

MOUNTAINSCAPESIII

this is by no means the only sort of thing that he does, but it is some of the stuff I enjoy the most.

Bear in mind the clip is 1976, and completely improvised.

Off of a CD called mountainscapes, released on ECM, back when they were breaking boundaries. Hope you enjoy this as much as I do :wub:

Prince is pretty good on four strings too; say a documentary on him on channel 4 years ago which contained some camcorder footage of him jamming bass, sat behind the mixer of his studio. Mixing slap and fingerstyle with incredible fluidity and jaw-dropping funkiness. I wouldn't know whether or not he's one of the top 10 of all time but he's very VERY good.

:offtopic:
On the same programme I also saw footage of him soloing simultaneously on guitar and keyboards, hammering-on with his left hand whilst riffing and arpeggiating with his right...

Mr Ott - think that bass player from Killing Joke might be a little disapponited you didn't include him. :Smile3:

Back