What's the difference?

onestone

Reaction score
I heard the first part of Monkey Do's mix last week and yesterday and I thought there were some fantastic tunes - tunes with some meat in them. In the last two or three years of parties, I can probably think of one or two DJs that played anything like that. It's usually boring doof doof that finally makes me put my coat on and leave at about 3.00 or 4.00.

My question is - is it the sound systems or do psy-trance DJs play different stuff at a party than what they would play in a more intimate environment like a house. Or, is there another explanation.

I've been thinking lately that I've been in this scene too long and I'm bored with the music but then I hear Monkey Do's stuff and realise that it's not the case.

Explanations please.

In case anyone is thinking that I'm plugging Monkey Do, I think I met him once at the Rocket.

Sometimes I get the impression that DJs when playing out, play to impress - and when on radio or at house parties etc, just play to have a bloody good time. That might mean they play some tunes that are "uncool" but rock all the same, as well as some more unusual stuff that they wouldn't risk on the dancefloor.

Any DJs to confirm or deny??? :Smile3:

hey .. i really like playing a kind of set where i do just that.. loose myself from the reality of where i am and just play the kind of set that i play for people when they come over to my house .. intimate sort of thing :Smile3:

it takes confidence to let yourself fall into the subconscious.. but when i do i always find I'm on a winner.. I've been trying this more and more lately...

Andrew

1 thing is 4 sure
a dj when playing(wherever that is,outdoors,indoors,houseparties,radio) can't satisfy all people

so when u put your coat on & leave @3-4 someothers may have a brilliant night
i guess it's all subjective & a matter of personal taste

Ive known monkey do for 8 1/2 years and in all that time ive known him hes played tunes that he likes . thats why i think hes successful in his mixing .

he wont compromise what he loves just to make orthers happy.

the day he plays music thats not him is the day he will stop . well thats what i think .

monkey dos music is a extension of his personalty .

doesn't matter whether i'm playing for myself, 1 person or 1000, i always play the same way. i do it cos it's fun and i want that to come across with the music i play and the way i am on stage. but this is easy for me, cos it ain't my job, i have a 9 to 5 that pays the bills and dj'ing is a hobby. i think when you are someone who plays week in, week out and it's how you make your living it can become a chore and the fun goes out of it... a good friend of mine used to fly all around the world and play, but after about 5 years of doing this he quit because it just wasn't fun any more and he knew this was reflected in his sets.

Chuffed that you'd single out my mixes onestone :Smile3:

One thing that I think is a major problem in clubs is these damn 1 hour sets, you are less inclined to take risks and you can play an hour of mindless doof without getting bored for 60 minutes. Give any DJ longer to fill and you'll find they break out of the pattern a lot more I'm sure - the stuff of mine you've heard has been part of a weekly 4+ hour liveshow so I've got to keep myself on my toes.

Also, there have been threads on here started by the likes of Full Lotus about a distinct lack of snarly nighttime in clubs - don't know why this is but if DJ's are ignoring a whole exciting area of the genre then there is more chance of sameyness.

Soundsystems may also have a part to play, in some clubs I've heard systems that made every damn tune sound the same, but then something like the Fushion rig on Rattys farm on NYE everything was clear and the subtlety of the music was that much more obvious. Might also have been down to the size of the space etc.

Or it might just be that I'm that good LOL

agreed about the 1hr sets grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

too many fucking dj's. come the revolution all dj's should be put up against a wall, and every 3rd one should be shot. i'll take my chances :Wink3:

Monkey Do said:
Also, there have been threads on here started by the likes of Full Lotus about a distinct lack of snarly nighttime in clubs

hello *waves*
too much morning stuff being played at unappropriate times....i hear its not too cool for skool...:Grin: but thats where i reckon all the exciting stuff is at the moment, plenty of mindblowing tunes, just people arnt giving the djs the chance to play it, so the "stale" trance comes out to play and we go home :Sad:

oh, and im talking bout PROPER epic crazy mental sh*t, real psychedelic forest music, not this stabby hard trance/house crap that people think hard psy is, that stuff is goddamn awful...

adeadendmind said:
1 thing is 4 sure
a dj when playing(wherever that is,outdoors,indoors,houseparties,radio) can't satisfy all people

so when u put your coat on & leave @3-4 someothers may have a brilliant night
i guess it's all subjective & a matter of personal taste
I may have been misunderstood. I didn't say that there aren't people at parties who are having a brilliant time. My question was why do I hear some great music on a live mix on the net but rarely hear it on a dancefloor. I must add that after starting this thread, I went last Friday to an Altered States party here in Kent and f*&k me if they didn't prove me wrong. The whole night was amazing stuff.

deadgirl said:
Ive known monkey do for 8 1/2 years and in all that time ive known him hes played tunes that he likes . thats why i think hes successful in his mixing .

he wont compromise what he loves just to make orthers happy......

I think that's the way it should be, my son taught me that. His philosophy is that a) he won't play what he doesn't like just to please the audience because the audience is not stupid and they will know b) people know what stuff he's into and if they like it they will go to see him.

I have nothing to say that hasn't been said before

Back