Where did the night go?

Vanilla Penguin

V.P Psy comes to Dorset
Reaction score
Our night can hardly run into profit... due to the venue size.
But we'll take a gamble :Smile3:

January's bash is going to be a one off psy/techno night .. any good night -time dj's interested in playing for that night, please get in touch.

jibberer

Jibbering Wreck
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of indoor parties, certainly not big ones anyway... but for the outdoor parties the way the music flows from night to morning is the difference between a good and bad party. I think the flow from night music to morning music really matches well with acid. The night music doesn't necesarily have to be full on, just darker melodies, and more twisted sounds that really get into your mind, and take you away on a journey somewhere. I always find the night less of a full on dancing time and more a mind dancing time er if that makes sense. Then around sunrise, when the 'cid is starting to plateaux, bring out the funky, rolling full on monster morning tracks, and keep them stomping until about mid day. The morning is my absolute favourite time, the night has been a journey, and the morning is just stomping, grinning, heavenly bliss. Only after midday has past do the djs have permission to start winding it down. All my most memorable parties seem to follow this pattern...
I think it's really important for the promoters to consider how the music is going to flow... and dj sets of less than 2 hours should be illegal.

DemoniKa

Princess Pookie 604
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

twisties = twisted mental OMG what are those crazy sounds ripping through the atmosphere like a bat outta hell psychedelic trance

but, yes, it does have to go somewhere or there is no point....

I totally agree. I dont get why you can't find that sort of music here. India is a totally different story altogether. 3 years ago you couldnt find anything non bursting sunshine radiating happy israeli kicks and basses type of shit. Luckily .... (still modest) but no jokes some of us just got together, threw smaller smaller gigs with dj's no one had ever heard of. Kindzadza's first time in India, now almsot three and a half years ago -300 people. Got to be the most mental and neurotic night i've been too. I like my brain to be handed to me so I'm wondering where the hell the night went...the morning can be twisted morning sounds too. For a while, I definitely got too caught up -- or it was just what appealed to me and I would not listen to anything that was not made for the darkness...and the same slowly rubbed off on other party organizers. NOW in india, i think you only find dark dj's and people are dying for some good old cheese...Not me though!

Earlir this year, finalyl some names I love came down and played, really gave me the idea it was the start of something,. but it just doesnt seem to have changed nothing. What a month it was - Kdd, Jaffa, Penta, Zolod, Saashi, Fungus..Wheres Akindo- the K-aos party organizer? You haaaaaaaaave to sort out another gig .. maybe Insane Behaviour, Samadhi, Silent Horror, Jahbooooooo and Mussy Moody. That sounds like a fucking deadly line up.

Im coming to check out the BBD night next week....It's been a good 2 months since I heard any kind of decent psy. Desperation building.

I don't get what doesnt appeal to people about the kind of music that is supposed to be heard at night. Russian and Danish musiq especially blows my mind away. I dont think broken toy would ever cut it to be able to be played at night, never!!!!! The music from South Africa is fucking awesome tho, pretty hard and still good morning tunes. Definitely what I put when i'm in the rare mood for something not so intense. But hey" each to their own. I dont enjoy anything more then my monitors turned all the way blasting some Parasense...WOW or some Insane Behaviour...For me, the music is perfect, its so complex that your brain gets sucked in...perfect from ADD sufferers like myself :Smile3:

jester

Reaction score
Full Lotus said:
I have been going to psychedelic parties for quite a long time. Over the last couple of years, I have noticed the distinct lack of night time tuneage at London parties, both legitimate ones and squat ones. When there has been night music played at squat parties, this has been in the morning or in the case of legit parties, only sunshiney morning music all the time. I'm not saying all parties are like this, but it does seem to be a trend. IMHO, you can't have one without the other, as sure as night follows day. As a result of this, I feel that the journey aspect of a party is also missing. The best parties, for me, have night music played from about 1-4am and with a quality morning set afterwards. I also think that the current trend for having loads of live acts and DJ's in the main room doesn't help.
Personally, I would go for 1, maybe 2 lives max and 3 DJ's. 1 hour DJ sets just don't cut it. It doesn't give them long enough to 'tell a story' imo. Balance is the key afterall, and I feel there is a lack of balance in London. You only have a certain amount of time at an indoor party, and to my mind, it makes sense to have a variety of psy at an indoor party, othewise it can get very boring, be it only night music being played or morning style. I hate to say it, but "It's not as good as it used to be"
What are your views?

:tongue1: :unsure: :smokingr: :Wink3: :P :cool:

Dark & intense ALL THE TIME !

Mubali

Fledgling sonic shaman
Reaction score
I'm a big big fan of the crazy heavily psychedelic stuff too... I'm finding that this year especially there's an upswing of more producers that are making the darker edged stuff... Now where it starts getting a little silly is when the stuff becomes formulaic (thank the Israelis for that one too) and you start being able to predict what's gonna happen next... Pretty soon the twisted nutty stuff is gonna go the route of full on and you start having those cookie cutter bands (Azax Syndrom = Psychotic Micro= Toxic = Seroxat ) Popping up all over the place. For me the Danish stuff has been really interesting me, as well as some german artists... I have found that I'm not into most russian artists as much as I used to. Parasense split and while they have their new side projects, I don't find the magic in their new stuff like I did their old stuff. Fungus Funk hasn't released anything decent since the Serephana compilation, (I absolutely HATED the Prodigy remix he did recently) I never really dug CPC, but KDD is still the shizzy for sure! I like some of the Jellyheadz stuff and I even dig a lot of Dejan's work too, but it seems hard to make darker edged heavily psychedelic music catering a little more toward the dancefloor and not make it sound like something Israeli... Though I am going to be playing with Horror Place this weekend, so who knows what'll happen there... I have recently gotten exposed to Cosmo and Highko and actually really enjoy their sound... And you can't count out Deviant Species... pretty minimal in the grand scheme of things, but bumpin nonetheless...

JohnM

blah blah blah
Reaction score
DemoniKa said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't get what doesnt appeal to people about the kind of music that is supposed to be heard at night.

Maybe its due to the UK psy trance scene only being a tiny part of a large underground dance scene that may account for the seemingly lack of interest in dark/night time psy (or prog psy trance come to that).

Theres a big UK squat/free party techno scene that plays very full on and sometimes very dark music that the sort of people that may be attracted to the darker side of psy in other countries are more attracted to in the UK?

(and anyone into the proggier end of things may be more likely to get into prog trance or prog house??)

Who knows- just wild speculation!

Full Lotus

Hob Nob King
Staff member
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
JohnM said:
Maybe its due to the UK psy trance scene only being a tiny part of a large underground dance scene that may account for the seemingly lack of interest in dark/night time psy (or prog psy trance come to that).

Theres a big UK squat/free party techno scene that plays very full on and sometimes very dark music that the sort of people that may be attracted to the darker side of psy in other countries are more attracted to in the UK?

(and anyone into the proggier end of things may be more likely to get into prog trance or prog house??)

Who knows- just wild speculation!
John, Used to be plenty of night sounds back in the day, just alot of promoters come and go and tastes change. Same for Prog, have spun quite a bit of the stuff in the past :Wink3:

To Mubali

agree about what your saying about the danger of the music becoming formulaic. That Fungus Prodigy rmx was awful. The Fungus Delta one is slightly better. Btw, great track you did with Aaron on the Multiple Personalities comp. :Grin:

Mubali

Fledgling sonic shaman
Reaction score
Thanks Full Lotus... I had a bunch of fun working with Aaron on that track and I learned a bunch about unique sound design from him... That track was one where we actually tried to make something slightly melodic, but not cheesy... Glad to know that it worked pretty well.

Jon Kenobi

So uncivilised
Reaction score
I'd say the night time was pretty evident last night at BBD Arv :Wink3:

dukas

molecular bio-driver
Reaction score
I'd agree with this, there still is this kind if music being produced but so much music recently has almost been psy-pop, with cute sample after cute sample, some sounds even sounding ravey - and not in a psychedlic way, just rave sounds plastered on top of some basslines.

In most of the indoor parties I've been to over the last 2/3 years have had no journey at all, just too many djs playing the same 'hit' tunes all through the night, then a sort of finale in the last half hour of more 'hit'tunes. This is just cheap and disorganised. I dont know the golden rule for scheduling (?) the musci through the night, but some of the best nights I have experienced are when there is some seriously dark music, in the middle of the night, and a live act that has really fed of the crowd, pulling them in to a tribal groove across the whole room, not just showcasing their new tunes like a seminar, this is then taken by two djs through to the morning. With one transition dj (there are very few people who can do this) continuuing the night time with some fluffy music emerging, then one more dj bringing the crowd out with some full-on / power music, or something like that... :irolleyes

I think it might have something to do with party organisers or the type of party too. There is a big difference between a large multi-room party and a two-room party; the former like some squat parties I've been to, with room after room you discover in a labyrinthe of sounds and people; or the latter, a psychedelic trance party which can have a very focused and intimate journey.

Its just disorganised to try and fit in as many djs as possible, that probably being the main problem becasue they dont get time to build up a journey, especially id there used to only playing short slots because they dont get any experience of doing so, rather just play there best tunes etc.

Full Lotus said:
I have been going to psychedelic parties for quite a long time. Over the last couple of years, I have noticed the distinct lack of night time tuneage at London parties, both legitimate ones and squat ones. When there has been night music played at squat parties, this has been in the morning or in the case of legit parties, only sunshiney morning music all the time. I'm not saying all parties are like this, but it does seem to be a trend. IMHO, you can't have one without the other, as sure as night follows day. As a result of this, I feel that the journey aspect of a party is also missing. The best parties, for me, have night music played from about 1-4am and with a quality morning set afterwards. I also think that the current trend for having loads of live acts and DJ's in the main room doesn't help.
Personally, I would go for 1, maybe 2 lives max and 3 DJ's. 1 hour DJ sets just don't cut it. It doesn't give them long enough to 'tell a story' imo. Balance is the key afterall, and I feel there is a lack of balance in London. You only have a certain amount of time at an indoor party, and to my mind, it makes sense to have a variety of psy at an indoor party, othewise it can get very boring, be it only night music being played or morning style. I hate to say it, but "It's not as good as it used to be"
What are your views?

:tongue1: :unsure: :smokingr: :Wink3: :P :cool:
:irolleyes

(jack)

Reaction score
I heard some truely cheesy dark stuff at full moon. Azax Syndrome made me want to go and sit in the poratloos and sulk. Pah.

Mubali- your tracks are WICKED. I was playing teh one off the first mistress of evil comp the other night to great success and wobbling. :Smile3:

Mubali

Fledgling sonic shaman
Reaction score
Thanks Jack... Looking back, I was pretty green to music production when I wrote that song (had only been writing music for about 4 months when I wrote that tune.) I'm almost ashamed to hear how much monkey piss Azax sucks now... At least he doesn't sound like the israeli dark clone bands, now he sounds like CPU and Absolum... :Sad: I used to love his tunes too...